Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:19:56 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **Good Tire Thread**  (Read 60613 times)
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

I had a hard time finding someone who would mount my tires because I went from a 205/65/15 to a 205/60/16. They said they weren't allowed to because they were not the original size.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff"
What do you mean by squishy?

Its sort of like wearing a shoe that is 1 size too big for your foot....it will go on...but the fit is not the best.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »

Ah ok, lol. I guess I'll go with the 215/55/16 then.

What's everyone else's suggestions?

rocketstarter

Reputation Power: 3
rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »

Heh, yeah, during the time span of my ownership of the car, I've hydroplaned about 4-5 times, and I wasn't even doing anything rigorous. One time I was at a stoplight, the light turned green, I LIGHTLY pressed the pedal, like just enough to barely move the car, and the tires started spinning in place, and I was slowly moving to the right lane. So I let off the gas then re-applied even lighter, and the tires STILL spun!

Also, my parents said that getting a wider tire will kill my gas mileage. How much would I suffer if I went from the stock 205/60/16 to a 225/55/16?

480 miles to a tank [13.5 gallons] 75% highway 25% city. your gas mileage will not suffer. Mine definetly didn't

Quote from: "clapton924"
What do you mean by squishy?

Its sort of like wearing a shoe that is 1 size too big for your foot....it will go on...but the fit is not the best.

As much research as you've been doing I figured you'd come up with a better word than squishy. Your analogy is correct, but the explanation is junk. Put your back into it

“I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup.”

S60R NO MO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2 K
rip_cord

Reputation Power: 1
rip_cord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2009, 04:24:23 PM »

Whoa, take it easy, parcheesi.  hahaha

I think a better term is that fitting a wider tire on those wheels may result in a vaguer initial turn-in feel (with all things being equal).
But what you give up in turn-in feel, you make up in outright grip.
Of course, it also depends on the manufacturer and the tire you're using.
Some people call it "balloning" the tires.

I wouldn't overdo it on a daily.  I like Matt's set up.  
I've seen lots of autocrossers use 245s on a 6" wheel.
I think Robert Carpenter use to use 265s on his CRX with had the stock alloys.  I believe those came with 5.5" wide wheels.

Ricardo     SECM #2   fodo' fosilly
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

what do you mean by a vaguer initial turn-in feel? :P Are we talking body roll, steering responsiveness, or what? lol

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »

Quote from: "rip_cord"
Whoa, take it easy, parcheesi.  hahaha

I think a better term is that fitting a wider tire on those wheels may result in a vaguer initial turn-in feel (with all things being equal).
But what you give up in turn-in feel, you make up in outright grip.
Of course, it also depends on the manufacturer and the tire you're using.
Some people call it "balloning" the tires.

I wouldn't overdo it on a daily.  I like Matt's set up.  
I've seen lots of autocrossers use 245s on a 6" wheel.
I think Robert Carpenter use to use 265s on his CRX with had the stock alloys.  I believe those came with 5.5" wide wheels.

what would I do without you Ricardo

S60R NO MO

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »

what do you mean by a vaguer initial turn-in feel? :P Are we talking body roll, steering responsiveness, or what? lol

I think he means in steering response. Its like if you were running on moon shoes and tried to take a sharp turn.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"

I think he means in steering response. Its like if you were running on moon shoes and tried to take a sharp turn.

Right.  The sidewall will be more free to move and flex when turning.  

Using a +2 sized tire for track or autoX purposes is one thing...but for driving on public roads where safety and reliability is most important, I personally would not go wider than 215.  I remember Thien giving this recommendation as well on old G7A.
rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2009, 02:33:13 AM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
Quote from: "CrackerTeg"

Right.  The sidewall will be more free to move and flex when turning.  

Using a +2 sized tire for track or autoX purposes is one thing...but for driving on public roads where safety and reliability is most important, I personally would not go wider than 215.  I remember Thien giving this recommendation as well on old G7A.

And I personally wouldn't go wider then a 225. Safety and reliability have nothing to do with this case. If anything it might save your wheels from getting curbed. Stretching tires is a different story but this is not the case.

The tire is only 20mm wider in width. That's 1cm on each side if you need a visual. A 9% increase.

The rim is 165mm wide. Don't think that a 205 is dead on with the rim because in fact it's 24% wider, compared to 36% with a 225. That's 1/3rd more flex you'll see in your turn-in compared to stock. Which is unnoticable.

Also the
OD of a 205/60-16 is 25.7 ~810 revs per mile [~24 lbs.]
OD of a 225/55-16 is 25.7 ~807 rpm [~25 lbs.]
OD of a 215/55-16 is 25.2 ~827 rpm [~25 lbs.]
OD of a 215/60-16 is 26.1 ~796 rpm [~27 lbs.]

In other words a 17 rpm difference would throw your tach off by 4k if you were to keep it til 150k and bought it new.

Before I forget, MINIMUM WIDTH REQUIREMENT for a 225 width tire is 6". So it's still VERY WELL in the green zone.

EDIT

Should be easier to understand now. I'm gonna get a nose bleed if I spend another minute in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:08:50 PM by rocketstarter » Logged

S60R NO MO

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »

So it's settled then, 225 it is, lol.

I think I have an idea of what you guys are talking about. The wider the tire is, the more of a tendency it has to flex away from the turn while the tread on the road is staying put. Something along the lines of that, right?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:18:39 AM by Jeff » Logged

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:49 PM »

So it's settled then, 215 it is, lol.

S60R NO MO

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »

Whoops, typo, lol. 225*

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »

Falken FK-452 is freaken sticky. Doesn't bitch like oem tires. All it wants to do is grab like hell. The only problem that I have is that they are loud since I got them used. I am not sure how much PSI I need either. They are all set to 41psi cold. maybe if I fix it would be better. But when I drive it feels the same as the lighter oem steely. Car uses the same RPM to move. Still doing 80mph using only 2600 rpm. Another I notices is that the car loses a lot of speed faster when it is coasting.

i have them in 235/45/17 with the gen3 TL rims 17by8

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »

I've heard the FK-452 is a good budget summer tire.  Most complaints I've heard is that they can wear fast and get noisy. Any comments on the wear ^ ?

41psi seems a little high to me.  You might want to try lowering the pressure to 35-38psi.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012