Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:31:00 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Shift boot on A/T  (Read 30150 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »

Okay let me start this these first pics are on how to remove it, and how much he cut of the shifter

after removing the trim and oem shift knob, you should see the metal rod.
if you are trying to shorten the shifter itself, you will need to cut it with a pipe cutter or my method was w/ a dremel. Using the dremel was so much easier than the pipe cutter, the only thing is you want to make sure not to cut the rod that is in the inside of the pipe. ....if that makes any sense.
Instead of cutting it below the first hole like most ppl did, i cut right above the first hole. this way i can switch back to stock if needed and without having the issue of redrilling another whole to prevent the oem knob from spinning.

04-You can remove these two pieces: the white plastic and the slanted metal from the shifter. they're are not really needed when using an aftermarket knob.

05-In my case, i decided to keep the white plastic on there...even though it really has no use. Oh and you may also need to cut the inside rod in order for your shift knob to secure onto the outer rod. I didnt have to since my shift knob was able to secure onto the outer rod

06-For the boot, as mentioned earlier, you will need to trim the plastic base of the boot on the bottom left corner and the bottom.....please refer to pics posted earlier in the thread. you probably want to just trim it in a straight line rather than curving like i did.

07-I also trimmed on the top of the plastic base as well, since the boot gets pinched between the plastic trim and the shift knob when putting it in Park.

08-Pic of the boot installed

10-Place the base of the aftermarket shift knob.

11-Place the knob itself and tighten the screws onto the rod and screw the base onto the knob. ....giving you the final product.

It still sits a lil high because i didnt cut the inner rod, which i am probably going to do later.
also I'm probably going to end up tucking the boot between the base and the knob, other than that i'm content w/the current setup.

01-Front View

02-Back View

03-Left Over Piece after cutting

04-You can remove these two pieces: the white plastic and the slanted metal from the shifter. they're are not really needed when using an aftermarket knob.

05-In my case, i decided to keep the white plastic on there...even though it really has no use. Oh and you may also need to cut the inside rod in order for your shift knob to secure onto the outer rod. I didnt have to since my shift knob was able to secure onto the outer rod

06-For the boot, as mentioned earlier, you will need to trim the plastic base of the boot on the bottom left corner and the bottom.....please refer to pics posted earlier in the thread. you probably want to just trim it in a straight line rather than curving like i did.

07-I also trimmed on the top of the plastic base as well, since the boot gets pinched between the plastic trim and the shift knob when putting it in Park.

08-Pic of the boot installed

09-Installed Boot

10-Place the base of the aftermarket shift knob.

11-Place the knob itself and tighten the screws onto the rod and screw the base onto the knob. ....giving you the final product.

Hope this helps bro :wink:

Information was transfered from Gen7Accord.com.
lilmalu

Reputation Power: 2
lilmalu pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »

with that knob you wouldn't need to press down on anything right?

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »

That is the Momo Automatic Shift knob. It has a button on top to push down to put it in gear.
JC04accord

Reputation Power: 1
JC04accord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:57 AM »

I need to do this eventually.  Nice write up Thien.
ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:47:02 AM »

Thanks again Thien for this,  I followed it to the T and it worked well for me….

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »

I may have to try this one!
Heckler

Heckler pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »

This is an interesting mod I need to get around to ordering the parts to do it.  MOMO charges too much for that fuckin' knob.

Fujita intake, DC header, TSX IM, P2R Gasket, Hondata Gasket, Homebrewed catchcan, Ralco pulleys, Apex'i WS2 catback, Ingalls TD.
Fenix

Reputation Power: 4
Fenix pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »

very nice, looks like im going to have to add this to my to do list

Quote from: timot_one
I'll let you guys know that I can only tolerate so much douchebaggery
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »

I want Joedangers shift knob bot combination. It was sex.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »

i always wanted to do this but ended up just cutting it up and putting the OEM shifter back in place. looks stocky.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »

Kind of off topic, but not really. Will the 06-07 shift knob, automatic, fit on the 03-05?

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
NWINNIE34

Reputation Power: 6
NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »

HELP ME !!!!   HELP ME !!!!

ok so heres the issue.... i did all the trimming that was nessesary to get it all to work and function great.... looks awesome too

so... i pushed the oem automatic shifter downward to get it to line up with the 2 screw holes..... once all screwed in and while driving the shifter will push from R....N.....D...3....2 where as before i ever touched this project it would only shift from N.....D....D3 while driving

so now i can all of a sudden shift up to R and down to 2 without applying the brake and just pushing the shifter, during regular driving..... god forbid anything ever hit my shifter and i went into reverse on the highway at 65+ mph

also.... another problem

i guess i can live with the shifting up to R and down to 2 thing.... but now when i put it in P i cannot get the keys out of the ignition
i can see the white plastic mechanism which controls the brake release and key release functions.... but when i put it in P the key release function will not fully turn over...thus not releasing my key
this is due to the inner shifter rod being too far down, thus not allowing for the key release and park mechanisms to fully push down

i know this is confusing... but please help hahaha this shit sucks and for some reason 4 years of college and a degree wasnt enough schooling to allow me to figure this one out
did i mess up a spring or something ?
somehow could i have messed up the whole shifting mechanism... it seemed so simple... unscrew the shifter... install boot.... put back on the knob and screw it in.... somewhere in between everything went wrong

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »

The shifter is positioned to far down. Try raising the shifter up and reposition it higher. That will solve your problem.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

how is that possible?

i am pushing the shifter down so that the holes match up with the holes on the shifter rod.... that was i can screw back in the oem shifter
i didnt change any of the heights so i dont know why all of a sudden its too low

im gonna go play with it now.... i'll let you know what happens
shouldnt be this complicated

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

haha... so here im am 15 minutes later..... everything works perfect, shifting is back to normal, and now my key releases

i have no idea why it wasnt before.... but now it does haha who know...

thanks anyways, looks nice !

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012