Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:45:59 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Catch Can DIY [OBX-RCT003]  (Read 23511 times)
rocketstarter

Reputation Power: 3
rocketstarter pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:21:20 AM »

Here's what you need

Braided vinyl tubing is 5/8" x 3/8". The packet with the pink top is a 1/4" square head plug btw. The rest should be self explenatory.

I've been debating about making a mesh insert but ...too much work without much benefit. Instead I used STAINLESS STEEL brillo pads.

About the rct003. @ $30 + free shipping it's a great investment for what it is. I actually am debating about flipping it upside down and.... I'll leave that for another time.

So here we go.

No Baffles. No screen. Nothing.

However.

Good thinking.

It could use a filter media though.

2 fluffed brillo pads. You want to stretch them and put them in longways so they end up side by side, instead of one sitting on the other. This way they'll stay tight against the wall.

It should look somewhat like this.

The "L" piece is actually an open drain that can be used to feed back into your oil pan if you had a rotary and didn't want to empty it every session. It's rather useless for the k-series though.

So we plug it. With a 1/4" square head plug.

Screw the top back on and pop your hood.

Make 2 1/2" incisions on the edge of the buldging part of your battery cover.

You can go ahead and feed the hose clamp through.

Drop and fasten that shananagan. I put a sticker behind the indicator tube in case there's gonna be something to see there one day.

Anyway.

Loosen these clamps.

Now move the piece above my middle finger out of the way. It actually has 2 purposes so if you wanna get rid of it you'll have to do the same thing you did with your TB bypass. Piece of cake.

You want to put the barb splicers into the tubing first cause it's a damn tight fit.

Now push in the other end.

Make the hoses shorter if they seem to long. Throw 2 Hose clamps on the end of the hose by the catch can.

Everything tight and snug? Good.

Sit down. Have a cigarette. And clean up your mess.

Now we'll see how much oil goes into the combustion chamber on the K-series. Stay tuned for updates and tweaks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:57:13 AM by rocketstarter » Logged

“I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup.”

S60R NO MO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2 K
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:58:33 AM »

Looks good.  I'm gonna have to re-read this and pay more attention next time when my mind isn't mush.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:03:44 AM »

so what does this do exactly?
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »

I did this mod on my v6 am a take few pic's and you wont believe How well it works

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »

Quote from: "cna"
I did this mod on my v6 am a take few pic's and you wont believe How well it works

I'm pretty skeptical because my oil level always remains consistent, however there is a reason why I did this mod so I'm sure it'll keep my intake tract completely free of oil, I just don't think it'll be a lot of it.

Please do post some pics though I'd love to see how much oil your v6 accumulates in the catch can.

S60R NO MO

suleman_manji

suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »

you know i'm hella skeptical about this. even after doing the home depot catch can. mainly because after so many years of driving (after i got my TB bored; it was honed and had a new butterfly made. when i got it back it was spotless) my TB hasn't gotten one bit of carbon build up, nor has it gotten any dirtier (i check it every so often just as a routine check along with oil, air filter, etc.)

also, when i did have the home depot catch can it barely caught an ounce or two throughout a 6month period (at which time i said screw this and took it off)

(sorry about no grammar at all, too tired. been typing correctly all day)

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:31:37 AM »

Heres a fast snaps with my cell ill take better pics soon  of my V6 i drew a red line to show you where the oil level is at now

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »

thanks cna, that's a good bit of oil, what period of time did this accumulate over? and what driving conditions?

S60R NO MO

clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »

I still don't understand the point of this....what does this do for you?
suleman_manji

suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »

reduces the amount of oil that is thrown back from the head into the intake tract.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »

Google is your friend.  This is what was on a Scooby site, so keep in mind that it is geared towards turbo motors, but also applies to n/a motors.  I deleted all the sales bullshit from the actual information.

OIL CATCH CAN
Blow-by is a constant problem with any turbocharged engine. While a normal byproduct of the combustion process if it isn’t contained outside the engine it will collect and gum up the valve train, turbo and most importantly the intercooler and plumbing. When this occurs it reduces the thermal efficiency of the intercooler, thus losing power and performance.

Why do I need an Oil Catch Can?
Lets look at your engine for a moment.  Every engine during the normal combustion process, has blow-by.  Engine Blow-by is excess combustion gases that leak by the piston rings and escape into the engine crankcase. During each compression or power stroke of a normal engine cycle, a very small amount of gases leak by the piston rings. This happens because the piston rings do not create a perfect seal. This Blow-by of gases is very small, but the higher the RPM and the more pistons, the more the blow-by starts to create pressure in the crank.

This pressure needs to be released, and is done so by crank case vents. Because manufactures have to keep environmental issues in mind, these gases can’t just be vented to atmosphere. So the OEM’s vent these gases back to the intake system to be re-burned. This all sounds good, but Blow by is nasty stuff!

Engine blow-by contains gases and oil from the crankcase. The gases aren’t really a problem, but the oil is. This oily mess coats everything in its path as it makes it way back to the combustion chamber. This nasty oil mess gets into the turbo, then boost tubes, then intercooler, into the intake manifold, and finally back into the engine. As the oil creeps in between couplers and boost tubes, it can cause the connection pop off under boost.  This oil then gets into the intercooler coating all the cooling fins. This greatly effects the ability of the intercooler to cool, and the efficiency of it will drop! This will cause a huge loss in power and can cause detonation.  The last place this oily mess sees before the combustion chamber is the intake valves. Because of the temp differences and the oil impacting them, the oil will start to build up and form sludge. This adds up over time, and can cause many other problems, and hurt performance.

From this you can see, blow-by is bad, and it needs to be delt with.

How Does the Oil Catch can work?
As describe above the oily mess goes from the crank case to the intake system, and generally through a rubber hose.  An oil catch can simply intersects the hose and the oily mess before it reaches the intake system.  The top of our Oil Catch Can has 2 fittings, one in and one out. The oily mess goes in the can, gets trapped because of either the media inside the can, or from the change in direction, or from a change in temp.  This separated the good from the bad, and collects the bad.

As the fluid fills the can, the end user can use the sight tube on the side of the can to determine when to drain it.

Why would I need more than one Catch Can?

Because engines have more than one crank case vent, and or more than one type of crank case vent, they can use more than one catch can. For instance on a Subaru WRX, there is a crank case vent, valve cover vent and PCV hose.  All of these vents do different things at different states of engine load, and in turn, all could use a separate catch can.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »

Word tim.  Thanks for learning me. =)
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »

where did you order this from ?
found one that looks similiar but for 59.99
http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-spor ... h-can.html

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »

Quote from: "NWINNIE34"
where did you order this from ?
found one that looks similiar but for 59.99
http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-spor ... h-can.html

ebay dude
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Chro ... ccessories

S60R NO MO

rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »

so how is this thing holding up? when i got my TSX IM the runners were all black and gross looking so this may be in line for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012