Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:02:02 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Catch Can DIY [OBX-RCT003]  (Read 23517 times)
rocketstarter

Reputation Power: 3
rocketstarter pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:49 AM »

haha you want an honest answer?

“I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup.”

S60R NO MO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2 K
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »

I do.  Tell us the truth.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
suleman_manji

suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »

I'd also want to know.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »

3k and not a drop. Makes me wander where the PCV valve vents to. Cause I have to be missing something.

S60R NO MO

seththekorean

Reputation Power: 4
seththekorean pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »

yeah, to be honest, my breather filter( matt i know you hate it) isnt oily at all from the crankcase. I dont think its changed colors for about 3.5k

[size=150]Seth[/size]
04' Coupe k24a4 5AT
SECM Squad Member
exelr8
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »

seth you really need a catch can with that filter arent you just blowing oil all over your engine bay?

"Big Country"  "Lonesome postwhor3 #1" "Car Whore Squad Member #2"
SECM Squad #3...kinda
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »

So I see that you used the pcv tube for the oil return...  There's some issues that come with doing that, but at the same time I'm not exactly sure if our engines have a second means of releasing trapped air inside the crankcase. If someone can elaborate, that would be nice.

rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 02:58:02 AM »

Quote from: "stirfriedferret"
So I see that you used the pcv tube for the oil return...  There's some issues that come with doing that, but at the same time I'm not exactly sure if our engines have a second means of releasing trapped air inside the crankcase. If someone can elaborate, that would be nice.

pcv tube for the oil return? issues with the tubing? elaborate.

As far as I know the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve is responsible for the second means of blow by release. However I don't know where it actually vents to.

S60R NO MO

stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »

Sorry... I was wondering where the built up pressure within the crankcase would vent to since you took the breather tube and hooked it up to the oil catch can. That breather tube normally goes to the intake tube where the built up air would be sucked up and recycled. Without that, I imagine that the air pressure would just build up inside of the crank case and the weakest part would break (probably some of the tubing on the oil catch can or the fittings on it). Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there's a second means of blow by release within the crankcase in our engines.

Edit: Now, I see something that I didn't notice before. You know that tube that's on your intake? (The one between the maf sensor and the TB)  Where does that go to?  That's the tube that's supposed to go to the breather tube that's on the valve cover. Maybe I'm wrong and there is a second means of letting air escape from the crankcase. Time to go investigate!

seththekorean

Reputation Power: 4
seththekorean pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

Quote from: "exelr8"
seth you really need a catch can with that filter arent you just blowing oil all over your engine bay?

No, i cant even tell you how long I've had it with no problems. or even a trace of an oil spray. even on the flame retardant hood thing. where its usually evident (esp on turbo cars)

but as to stirfriedferret. If you're saying he has no vacuum pulling pressure out, he does; the tube goes from the crankcase to the catch can which then goes to the intake. so the intake is pulling the clean air out of the catch can keeping a vacuum.

[size=150]Seth[/size]
04' Coupe k24a4 5AT
SECM Squad Member
stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »

Ah, alright. Thanks, Seth. You answered my question :)

rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »

hell i may end up doing this..but i may put the catch can closer to the PCV opening. just in case the amount of tubing has an effect or something.

but i'll need to see if it actually catches anything. if it doesn't then im not doing it. another reason why you may not see the oil that is being caught is there needs to be a significant amount of oil in that can to actually show on the side thing. just a thought.
rocketstarter

rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »

Quote from: "rjp6262"
hell i may end up doing this..but i may put the catch can closer to the PCV opening. just in case the amount of tubing has an effect or something.

but i'll need to see if it actually catches anything. if it doesn't then im not doing it. another reason why you may not see the oil that is being caught is there needs to be a significant amount of oil in that can to actually show on the side thing. just a thought.

unscrewed the bottom and no oil. Amount of tubing doesn't play a role since the walls are reinforced and the motor doesn't produve enough vacuum for it to collapse.

S60R NO MO

rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »

oh i see. oh well lol maybe, maybe not.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

Okay, I finally looked at the pictures a little closer this time and read through everything.  The reason why you're not getting any oil, is because you have this connected to the breather port on your valve cover.  Oil catch cans are to be used with your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve.  That is located on the front of your engine block, by your water pump.  I'm getting a catch can soon, so I'll take some pictures to show you where it should be connected to.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012