Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:19 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Rear Drum To Disc Conversion  (Read 48245 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 02:19:06 AM »

Slowly progressing on this mod, but hitting snags.  I'm sore.

striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2013, 12:08:10 AM »

So, I'm well into doing the rear drum to disc swap, and have most of the new parts bolted up.  Today, I tried to finish off putting in the Accord EX e-brake lines.  Even with the adjustment bolt on the handle almost full loose, when I would connect one line to the caliper on one side of the car, the other side would have such little slack (because the connected one was pulling on the equalizer piece in the center console), that I wouldn't be able to reach the caliper to connect it.  So, I ended up unbolting the lines from under the car and got a bit more slack from that, and I now have the two lines connected at the calipers on both sides on those little arms.  However, the cables are so tight that my e-brake handle is all the way down, and the calipers are clamping down on the rotors.  I can't even pull the handle up, it's so tight.  I tried diagnosing, but am baffled.  I even checked over my work (make sure the calipers are on the right sides, make sure I put the e-brake cables on the right sides, etc  :Smiley).  Anyone got an ideas or run into this issue?  Is this to be expected until the system is filled and bled again (since I've completely drained my fluid for this project)?  If anyone has pics of what a functional EX rear caliper and e-brake cable connection looks like, feel free to post as I'm used to the drum setup up to this point and have rarely ever looked at a rear caliper design.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »

Are they new cables or used cables?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

new...

Can someone post a photo of the cables running to their caliper so I can see how they're routed and clipped onto the caliper "hook"?

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »

I hope that helps you out.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »

It's probably important to note that people with EX sedans should post pictures.  It's also important to mention that the rear trailing arm that the cable mounting bracket (the bracket is on the cable) bolts to has the mounting tab in a different location between the drum and disc rears.  It's not necessary to buy the part, you just need to slide the bracket down the cable for extra slack.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »

The pictures help a bit.  Those pics are from the driver's side setup, right?  It looks like the cable in your pics is routed under the Ingalls camber arm.  That's how I did mine too, but the line is so tight that it's pulling right against the arm.  Plus, my calipers seem to have a big hook piece on them that I don't see in your pics.

Ima try Tim's "move the brackets" method tmrw hopefully.

NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »

By chance are you a sedan trying to use coupe cables? Sedan cables are a bit longer.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »

I asked the same question and Dave said the cables are for the sedan, purchased new from Honda.  The issue is that the rear trailing arm (that has the mount for the cable bracket) is different between the drum and disc set ups.  The mount on the arm is in a different location between the two arms.  It's not really worth spending the $90-100 to get new rear trailing arms, since you can just move the bracket up the cable to get that extra slack.

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »

Well, I took your advice Tim and moved the brackets a bit on both lines, and everything bolted up pretty good.  Thanks for the advice.  I adjusted the tension on the cables a bit too by messing with the adjustment nut in the center console, but I don't think I'll get a real accurate reading on that until the system has been filled and bled with the fluid.  In any event, I'd advise that somewhere in the how-to on the first page, this e-brake cable issue be mentioned for accuracy's sake.  All in all, I'm making progress on this mod, but still have a long way to go.  On to the new proportioning valve next, which looks like a bitch to replace, and then bleeding everyting and crossing my fingers that everything works once the car is back on the ground.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »

I knew the cable bracket relocation would work.  I'll text you some pictures tomorrow Dave. 

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »

I finished this project last weekend.  Couldn't get the LX proportioning valve out, so it had to stay in.  Impressions pending...

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

Only took you three months.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »

Only took you three months.

Finger

07midniteaccord
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
07midniteaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Ok so I know this thing is like 2 years old but I just got here. I plan on swapping my drums out for disc brakes, I've been wondering if I could use a 02 tl-s or another acura as a donor instead. I have a 07 accord lx and a limited budget, approximately $500.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012