Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:46:07 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Alarm?  (Read 18917 times)
Antoni0_23

Reputation Power: 2
Antoni0_23 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

Hey guys! Me again. Well I was looking in the market to buy an alarm for my car but I really don't know much about them and which brand is also the top rated. I'd like an alarm with remote start which could be a problem since my car is MT. Which of the alarms out there offer a kit for a MT car or which parts or what procedure is required to install an alarm kit with remote start capabilities on a MT car. Sorry for being such a noob. Any info or glance on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »

any alarm will work but you have a MT transmission you would have to leave your car in neutral to work the remote start

JC04accord

Reputation Power: 1
JC04accord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:37 PM »

Viper 5901 is what I have and couldn't be happier.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »

I'm not sure what the laws are in Puerto Rico, but in the US it is illegal to have a remote start in a car with a MT.  You may have a hard time finding someone willing to do an illegal remote start since they would be liable for any damage resulting from it.  Of course, I have a remote start on my MT.  There is something that DEI makes for a remote start on a MT though.  If you're looking for an alarm, I would go with some of the higher end DEI stuff like Viper or Clifford.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Antoni0_23

Antoni0_23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »

Hmm I see. So is there a specific alarm that is offered by Viper or Clifford that supports Remote Start on MT cars? If so which one would you recommend?
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »

No, there is not.  The reason why a remote start on a MT is illegal is because there is no NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) like an AT has to prevent the car from starting if it is not in neutral or park.  DEI makes a neutral safety switch for a MT, but I'm not sure if you would be able to get one.  Technically, it's not illegal, but fopr some reason it still is even if you have the DEI MT NSS.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Antoni0_23

Antoni0_23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »

Hmm I see. Where can I find it and how much $ would it be ?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

No clue, I've never installed one.

Tim
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

Quote from: "Z3R0"
Hmm I see. So is there a specific alarm that is offered by Viper or Clifford that supports Remote Start on MT cars? If so which one would you recommend?

Quote from: "timot_one"
No, there is not.  The reason why a remote start on a MT is illegal is because there is no NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) like an AT has to prevent the car from starting if it is not in neutral or park.  DEI makes a neutral safety switch for a MT, but I'm not sure if you would be able to get one.  Technically, it's not illegal, but fopr some reason it still is even if you have the DEI MT NSS.

Actually, there is an alarm that supports remote start for MT cars.  The Viper 5901 does, as well as, the Clifford Matrix 50.7.  These two alarms are the same, just different remotes.  Same brain, especially since both are DEI products.  There are probably other alarms, I just know about these two.

There is a Manual Transmission mode for the remote start for the 5901.  There is a shutdown sequence one must perform when leaving the car (which isn't too bad) to activate the remote start to be able to use it next time.

- Mark
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »

I'm looking to get the new Viper Responder 350 alarm that just came out this month.  Do we need to purchase the interface module to get these alarms to work for our cars?  I'd rather not spend the extra $99 if it is not needed.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

What interface module are you talking about.  The only thing that I would think of is the immobilizer bypass to remote start your car.

Tim
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

http://www.viper.com/P-XK02/Xpresskit+Programmable+Platform+%23+02%3a+Door+Lock+%26+Alarm+Interface

Nissan, Honda and Subaru door lock and alarm control interface.

XK02 is a programmable multi-function door lock & alarm control interface preloaded with upgradeable firmware (NISSDL) for select Nissan & Infiniti vehicles. Available firmwares for Subaru & Honda are downloadable from the web. Primary interface control functions include: door locks, factory alarm, trunk/hatch release and door pin status output (-).

Oh and the viper alarm that I'm looking at does not come with a remote start.  That's not something I'd ever really need or use.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

Yeah, that's not necessary.  It's just something that makes the wiring and integration easier on our cars.  Instead of having to wire door locks, trunk releases, door pin switches, and hood pin switches seperately, this module basically is wired into your car's data cable to control everything with one wire and is then wired to your alarm system.  It's not needed, but it makes things a lot easier to install.

I checked on the Xpresskit website and the XK01 is recommended for our cars.  The XK02 won't work with our cars.  You can also use the CAN-SL2 made by Fortin Electronics.  They both do pretty much the same thing.  I've seen the Fortin products on eBay for like $30.

Tim
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

okay great, it's good to know its not needed.  If you buy the alarm through Viper they include free installation so I'm not going to worry about the module then.

On a side note it's kinda odd they recommend the XK01 when that's made for GMs and not the XK02 that is made for Hondas.  I thought it was just a glitch in whatever program they used to recommend the right module for your car.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 05:47:14 PM »

It really depends on your car and what those interface modules are programmed to control.  In all honesty, it's an installers dream to use one of those.  You literally hook up one wire for the door locks, trunk release, and input triggers.  It saves a bunch of testing and wiring.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012