Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Profile] Pascal  (Read 59807 times)
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

Started up the car this morning. Heard a loud whining noise, increasing with rpm and when I turn the steering. Said to myself, well the power steering pump must be damaged and needs to be replaced. When I got to work, I checked the fluid level and realized it was really low, then I saw a mess down the return line. The metal line  (number 16 on picture) was so rusted that it began to leak. I can't figure out exactly where it leaks from so i will replace a part of it with a rubber hose to fix it temporarily. I Don't have a honda dealer close to me, what type of power steering fluid can I use to top off the reservoir until I replace the whole line?

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

Use the Honda fluid or similar ie Advance Auto brand formulated for Honda/Acura vehicles. I've seen others such as Gunk cause pump issues in the past.

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »

I just used Prestone power steering fluid.  You'd be fine with the auto zone/advance auto/napa brand for now until you get the leak fixed.  If you're looking to order the line, call AutoFair Honda and ask for Ryan or Colin and let them know that I sent you to them.  They will take care of you.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »

Don't forget I live in Canada, shipping might be costing me more than to buy it here. Anyway already ordered one from a local Honda dealer, cost me 90$ + tx and should get it by Wednesday

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »

Those guys ship all around the world, which is why I recommended them.  I just looked up the price and it's $47 usd.  Even with shipping, I'm guessing it would have cost less.  Just some food for thought.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »

I Could check out but I know there are some online honda parts stores (Don't remember which ones exactly) that ships everywhere except to Canada. There is some kind of embargo established by Honda Canada to restrain importation of parts from USA so they can continue to f**k us real good with overpriced parts.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »

That's understandable. Talk to the guys over at AFH and you'll get taken care of. They're great
to deal with.

Also, I get a few parts from a company based in Canada and it never seems to be an issue shipping to the US.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »

About that leak ! Fixed that up today with genuine parts and fluid. Return line, 2 clamps, 2 plastic clips, 1 bolt and 4 small bottles of PS fluid. Total cost, 175$ Canadian. Ok, there it goes !

Here is the old line that was leaking.

Here is the old fluid, guess it was time to change it.

Removing the line was easy, I could cut it to get it out. Putting it back is not the same story. Had to remove side engine mount, move away the CV axle and few brackets to have enough space to place the new line at its place.

While I was at it, I cleaned the reservoir, painted the bracket and painted the bottom of the engine mount.

Here are pictures of the line placed with the new clips and clamps.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

Looks like it was time to replace that line. Makes me glad I don't have hydraulic power steering any more though.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

Well, I like the feeling of a hydraulic power steering. I don't know about the EPS unit you got, but I've driven few cars with EPS and it seems like you can't feel the road at all.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »

The issue I have had with EPS in other cars like my wife's Ft is that it is twitchy as hell. That could have to do with the shorter wheel base because I don't notice much of a difference with my EPS set up.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Did you go with EPS to get more space for your SC or just wanted a EPS?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »

I did the EPS set up because I already had the rack and controller. Then my hydraulic rack went and all I needed was the wire harness and it was almost plug and play. The lack of a PS pump didn't really come into play with the SC though.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

Oh okay ! Don't have neither of those laying around and got other stuff to fix so I guess my hydraulic PS is going to stay Wink

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

Damn, you gotta wash that engine bay and under carriage more often or something. Those Canadian winters are tough. Too bad it wasn't the pressure, would've been a lot easier pending the side going to the rack isn't seized. Good job on getting everything done.

Rich
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012