Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:38:48 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detailing Your Car  (Read 18231 times)
RTexasF

Reputation Power: 2
RTexasF pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »

I do not profess to be a professional detailer or know everything under the sun concerning the subject. With that said I have been detailing for money going on seven years now and will be glad to offer whatever advice I can to others with less (or no) experience. My guarantee for customers is simple - If the finished vehicle does not exceed your expectations it's free. I've never been stung which leads me to believe I do pretty good work! Below is an example, I work out of my garage at home.

The old one   ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:44:47 AM by RTexasF » Logged

Rick, token old bastard.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »

I've learned a lot from you about detailing over the years.  Yeah, I've actually known you long enough to say that!  Since you have much more experience than I do, I have some questions.  I think I have an okay grasp on the methods of detailing a car properly.  Mike has seen my work and was impressed with the results.  My questions are three fold though:

1. I'm planning on trying to do some side work this summer detailing cars.  What recommendations do you have when it comes to drumming up business and getting your name out there when you don't have any reputation or word of mouth business?  

I have no hose at my place (apartment building) to wash cars, so that makes things difficult.  There is a quarter wash down the street, but they don't allow bucket washing and I'd rather not dump quarters into their machine just to use water.  I'm thinking that it would be best to travel and detail cars at the customer's home and request a hose and electrical connection.  What is your experience with this type of request?

2. What products or type of products would you say are "must have" for a small detailing business?

3. Can you provide any tips to be more efficient?  I don't want to take short cuts, though I'm sure you wouldn't recommend any.  But I do know you have a lot of experience and that you can share some of your tricks so that I can work faster.  When I do a full detail on my car, it takes me the entire day if I start at 8am.  I'll admit that I take my time, and I'm meticulous when it comes to my car.

Thanks in advance for any advice Rick!

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

1. A. Business cards are a must. Registered and insured business or no?
    B.  An added convenience and a plus. One of the best detailers in Dallas works out of his car this way and has for MANY years.  Take your own hoses and extension cords. Optimum no rinse (ONR) will wash the majority of cars with 2-3 gallons of water and (obviously) no rinse required.

2. Do you plan on full paint correction with a buffer and compounds/polishes or wash n' wax? Carpet extraction? Are you going to offer one package or several? Engine detailing?  Exactly what services will you offer?  You have to have a detailed plan.  A lot depends on this.

3. Very basic until you share more information:
Do tires, wheels, & wheelwells first.
Do interior & interior glass second.
Exterior & touch up last.

Rick, token old bastard.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »

Thanks for the info Rick.  I'm starting from square one on this, so any of your input is greatly appreciated.  Think of it this way.  I'm a guy that likes to clean my car and feel that I do a decent job.  Why not offer my services to others that don't like cleaning their car while being able to make a few bucks doing it?

I'm starting with nothing, a blank slate.  I really don't know whether to shit or go blind right now, so whatever you suggest is more than I have to go with right now.  Anything you can suggest as far as a starting point is going to be very helpful.  I guess what I'm basically asking for is your advice on how to get started and what I need to do be able to offer a service people will want.  I agree that I need a plan based on the services that I can offer.  Maybe there are services that I can offer that I don't realize are worth mentioning?

Here's what I've gathered from your suggestions so far:

For networking, business cards are a great idea.  I think I may make a few flyers to put up here and there, plus post on CL.  I may even try to make a website with contact info, services offered, and prices.  

I was thinking that travelling would be best for detailing other people's cars.  Then they don't have to go anywhere and I can clean their car without inconveniencing them.  I'm going to try some ONR tomorrow on my car to see how it works out.

For services offered, I have never tried using a buffer and compounds, so I wouldn't offer that unless I was comfortable.  Since I have no experience with a buffer, it would be best that not do that until I know what I'm doing.  I would basically offer different packages.  I was thinking about 3 or 4 different packages based on what I can do.  Here's the list:
Wash
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax
Interior
Carpet Shampoo
Engine detailing

Maybe there is more, but at least you're making me ask the right questions.

Thanks again for your help Rick.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

You still didn't say if this will be a registered insured business or not. Either way here's a few thoughts:
Polishing by hand is like digging a 6' X 6' hole with a spoon. Consider if you really want to offer that.

There is someone that can offer you better advice than I on the mobile angle, starting with little and working all by hand initially. That person is Jason >Motorcityhonda. I've used power tools from the git go so I have little to offer in this particular area. Jason graduated to power tool usage and is very sharp. He went from  side work to a full grown business with logo and website in short order. I'm not trying to pawn you off, its just that he has already done exactly what you are attempting to do. My detailing has always been done at my home and that's very different.

Make it a habit to go at least once daily to the larger detailing forums and snoop around. Many have "how to's" and videos that will certainly help. A few that come to mind are Autopia, Auto Geek, Detail City, and Detailing bliss.

Plan on spending the money for a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and learn how to use it. Again, many videos available and it's a goof proof machine. There are better machines available but they are more expensive and not as goof proof so I suggest a PC 7224 or 7336. Many packages are offered by online detail vendors that are fairly complete for starting out. Detailing forums all have a section of items for sale and you can get used buffers and accessories very reasonably but you have to keep a sharp eye and be ready to pounce. Once you get the hang of it you will make back your expenditure in one or two jobs.

Keep your own car looking like a million bucks all the time. If you solicit me for work and your car looks like caca......fat chance.

Since you take care of your car I must assume that you have some basic stuff like wash buckets, mitts, brushes for wheels & wheelwells, things like that. How about microfiber towels? You'll need a lot more than you think, I can go through 15-20 on a mid sized car. Sealants, waxes, applicators for both? D you plan to offer both sealand and wax? Work on your game plan my friend, it will save you a ton of headaches.

Just hitting you with some random stuff to think about.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:24:44 PM by RTexasF » Logged

Rick, token old bastard.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »

I don't think I will be registered or insured at first.  I am starting out small with the goal of growing into something bigger down the road.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that when you said buffer you meant a rotary polisher, and not an orbital polisher like the PC 7424 and 7336.  I do have and use an orbital polisher that I use on my own car.  I have polished by hand and with the orbital and agree that it's very tedious by hand.  I would like to learn to use a rotary polisher one day, but right now I don't trust myself.  I am on the other hand, very comfortable with the orbital that I have and would like to upgrade to a PC soon.

I'm hoping to meet up with Jason when I'm in MI visiting my parents in September, so I'll definitely have to get some input from him also.

I've lurked on a few detailing sites, but seem to be overwhelmed.  I am going to take a look at the sites you suggested and see what I can find!

I have the basic stuff that any enthusiast would use to keep their cars clean.  Most people make fun of the amount of car cleaning products I keep stocked.  I have buckets, mitts, wheel brushes, vent brushes, and applicators.  Yes, I do have lots of MF towels, but I plan on stocking up to have at least 40-50 towels on hand.  I have a decent arsenal of product concerning polishes and waxes, but I haven't tried sealants yet.  I'll write up a list of what I have and what I would like to add to my inventory later on so you have an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Tim
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »

Ah So! That helps a bunch! I take it it's a Sears type orbital buffer that you have? No I did not mean rotary to start out with and honestly I have no experience with one yet. I do think I could master it without much effort but that's another story for another time. I currently use a Cyclo and have for years but still have the PC for some jobs.

Start looking into the PC, either one. The only difference between the 7224 and the 7336 is the counterweight. Either one would have more moxie than a Craftsman or similar and tons of accessories to go with it. For instance...does yours have a carpet/upholstery cleaning brushes that can be installed in under a minute? The PC does. How about pads of varying abrasiveness? Many offered with the PC, most lesser ones do not.  Not dunning what you have just trying to put the practical differences in your mind. See the Caddy in the picture? I used the PC to scrub the mats (cream colored, white interior) and the Cyclo to make the hood look like that..... it was really a mess prior. Different tools for different purposes. It could have all been done with the PC but at a time cost.

You can always PM Jason (from elsewhere) and start gaining knowledge now on his accomplishements. As I said above I'm not even trying to pawn you off. He has first hand already mastered what you are trying to do. The difference between mobil and home based is enormous. I'm at my house and know where every product is.....I can't forget to pack something because it's all right here! Working mobile requires some fine tuning that will constantly be adjusted until you have it down pat. Even having to take a leak is different when working mobile as opposed to out of your own home. I think you get the picture.

Yes the detailing forums can be overwhelming but scan them carefully. There are many like yourself that are looking to learn and ask basic questions. Once again, many videos of how to's available but you must look closely. I had no mentor, the sites I mentioned along with trial & error, much practice, some stupid moves, keeping track of what works, has brought me to a new attitude. Bring me your Chevy or your Maserati and I'll make you proud to drive it home when I'm done.

Here's a start to what I was talking about before: http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:18:36 PM by RTexasF » Logged

Rick, token old bastard.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  I think we're going to have to get Jason over here too.  He seems like a good guy, and I've seen his work over on g7a and I definitely respect what he's done.  Plus, he lives not too far from where I grew up.  

BTW, I know that my orbital is cheap.  No offense was taken.  I figured I would blow a little bit of money to see what kind of results I would get before blowing some on a PC.

I would love to be able to have a home based operation, but since I am not a home owner and live in a 150 year old building without the use of a hose it doesn't seem practical.  I'm not against working from my home, but that means I would depend on ONR or some other method to rinse customer's cars.

I'm not really doing this to create a business or anything.  I really just want to do it because I enjoy detailing and would like to use it as a way to make a few extra dollars.

Tim
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

ONR is designed for the mobile detailer!  Don't limit its use mentally, it is a superior product with fantastic results. I use it as a Quick Detailer also and it is excellent.

Yes, Jason needs to be invited here and can offer more information to those interested in detailing as the site builds. More is better, I am NOT the know all when it comes to this and happy to admit it. Anyone that thinks that they are the answer should be avoided because they are full of themselves. Take the old fart's word for it.....Jason is worthy of admission here!

Every person cleaning/detailing cars started out wanting to make a few extra dollars. That is where the fever begins! You start out thinking you are detailing then realize you really aren't....you are a wash & vac guy! Then you learn what is really involved in true detailing. Many go way beyond what I would ever consider but it boils down to money and your clientele. What do they expect and what can you perform? There is the bottom line. The upper limit boils down to what you can make happen and what they will pay for. Sounds pretty simple but it's really not.

Rick, token old bastard.
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »

I need to re-do my paint correction. The first time only got rid of 45% of the swirls, scratches :(

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »

I really think that paint correction is all about having the right tools.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »

It's more procedure and process than the chemicals used. Don't get me wrong, the right polishes, etc. do make it easier. The right tools (as mike said) are important but learning how to use them is THE most important thing.

Rick, token old bastard.
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »

I think our paint/car looks great for being almost 6 years old and having 110K miles. However I wonder how good it would look if we actually put more into our detailing.  We still have yet to polish or clay our car ever with the exception of the liquid clay stuff.  This coming spring I think the first detail will include this stuff. Cant wait to see the outcome!

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »

Derrick,

If you are serious about it you need to buy the correct machine, pads, & accessories to do the work. Learn how to use them and go from there. I can look at a "perfect" car, put the hallogen lights on it, or look at it in the sun, and show you every single flaw. If you don't know what to look for then you have no clue until someone actually shows you. I'm not saying your car has them but I'll bet you a 100 dollar bill that I can point them out in less than 30 seconds on a bright sunny day. Learn what to look for and then how to correct it. Your ride will look 100% better than you ever dreamed imaginable.....a flawless finish.

I'm not being a nose in the air dick, just saying there are several more levels above what most folks are aware of.

Rick, token old bastard.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »

Any way you can tell use "common folk" what to look for. I'd like to get my car looking better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012