Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:27 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detailing Your Car  (Read 18223 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

My car has tons of imperfections.  By no means am I even close to bringing it to the next level.  I would like to learn some more techniques and methods before I get my car painted this summer.  I've gotta take a trip down to TX or MI sometime soon to learn from Rick or Jason.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

Am I crazy to think that now is the time to expirment on your ride? If your getting it painted any way, how bad can you mess it up now right?
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

Nope, that's what I'm thinking too.  My car is going to be completely painted, so I want to use this as an opportunity to learn.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »

LOL me to I'll order an orbital and we can attack lol...
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »

Sure man.  I can't wait to use my PC this spring.

Tim
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »

LOL Tim and I staring in "A Blank Canvas" LOL
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

Quote from: "RTexasF"
Derrick,

If you are serious about it you need to buy the correct machine, pads, & accessories to do the work. Learn how to use them and go from there. I can look at a "perfect" car, put the hallogen lights on it, or look at it in the sun, and show you every single flaw. If you don't know what to look for then you have no clue until someone actually shows you. I'm not saying your car has them but I'll bet you a 100 dollar bill that I can point them out in less than 30 seconds on a bright sunny day. Learn what to look for and then how to correct it. Your ride will look 100% better than you ever dreamed imaginable.....a flawless finish.

I'm not being a nose in the air dick, just saying there are several more levels above what most folks are aware of.

Yeah I definitely agree with you. There are some flaws that I can see without the halogen lights, one being some water spots from the in ground sprinkler at the house.  What I'm talking about is the quick snap shot you'd get from just driving by or even in pics. But to your point thats why I want to go a lil more in depth with the detailing this coming spring.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
RTexasF

Reputation Power: 2
RTexasF pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »

Call on me if you'ld like. I'll help any way I can.

Rick, token old bastard.
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »

Oh you know I will!!!!! Thanks Rick.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Any way you can tell use "common folk" what to look for. I'd like to get my car looking better.

The first thing I would do (car as spiffy as you can get it) is to look at the hood in bright sunlight from many different angles. You are looking for things that look like "marks" or "spider webs" in the paint......they will usually look circular. They show up easier on darker colors and are more difficult to see on lighter colors, white being the toughest. I do realize that, depending where you live, bright sunlight may not be available for a while. Looking at the hood under overhead VERY bright fluorescent lights is another way to spot boo boos. Once you spot the marks/marring you will recognize it from then on. They will either be directional, as in front to back or side to side, or circular. Once viewed in the correct light they will be plain as day. Almost every car has them. Look at cars in the parking lot next time you go to the store (light permitting) and you will see exactly what I mean.

Rick, token old bastard.
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »

hey rick, do you have any suggestions on how to get scratches out of plastic window visors?  put a few on them when i was installing them, and i'd really like to get rid of them.. kind of an eyesore with brand new parts ya know?

-brian
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 01:33:31 PM »

Meguiar's Plastx has worked very well for me. It's pretty common so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Rick, token old bastard.
b_beau_09

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »

^awesome, thanks rick!

-brian
Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »

I was going to suggest the same thing but I wasn't sure if it was called ScratchX or PlastX. Now I realize that they make both. ScratchX is great for getting swirls out of paint. My girlfriend's mom got a $700 insurance check to repair a pretty big scuff mark on her quarter panel from where some guy hit her, and I just buffed it out with ScratchX. :lol: $700 for free FTMFW! How did the PlastX work out for you? My visors have a lot of swirls too.
b_beau_09

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

^ i haven't had time to go get any yet. hopefully by friday i'll have some free time on my hands.

-brian
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012