Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:49 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install Headers  (Read 35945 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »

You're first task is to try and determine if the noise is coming from near the engine or near the tail pipe, then we can move on to phase 2.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
frostnyc pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
You're first task is to try and determine if the noise is coming from near the engine or near the tail pipe, then we can move on to phase 2.

It's definitely closer to the engine, tail pipe doesn't make much noise at all actually. When I crouched down and took a look while the car was being revved, the cat itself seemed to have a good bit of "movement" to it. Dunno if that's normal or not. My new o2 sensor is going to be here Monday or Tuesday, so that will help eliminate that problem..
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »

After you replace that, give it another try and see if you still have the noise.  It could be a cracked flex pipe also.  That's what I'm dealing with right now.  I'm having to get mine replaced a 2nd time.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
After you replace that, give it another try and see if you still have the noise.  It could be a cracked flex pipe also.  That's what I'm dealing with right now.  I'm having to get mine replaced a 2nd time.

Thanks Tim.. In the meantime, what are the obvious symptoms of a cracked flex pipe? When I did the install, I did notice the slightest little rip in the end of the FP (obviously, CAT side), amounting to no more than a millimeter in length, so I figured it was fine.. I wish I could record the sound of this to give you guys a better idea of what's going on.. and perhaps some better diagnostics.. There's a chance I didn't torque the cat bolts correctly as I just did it by feel.. it's hard to imagine what else could be going on here...
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 09:02:19 AM »

If you noticed a tear, and the fact that your engine moves a lot, my guess is that over the short period of time it's gotten worse and that's causing the noise.  I'll bet you $100 that it's your flex pipe if you still have the noise after you replace your O2 sensor and torque your cat bolts.

Tim
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »

OK, so here's the latest. Got the o2 sensor in the mail yesterday, and I installed it today. Disconnected and reconnect the battery, and that cleared the CEL, HOWEVER, I crawled under the car and put my hand around the o2 sensor area (tight as hell w/ vice grips) I felt hot air blowing. The weld directly next to the o2 sensor looked a little shady, like there was what appeared to be the smallest of cracks in there. I've attached a pic (best I could get with my phone) to show you what I'm talking about. Check out the weld directly to the right of the o2 sensor:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/ ... stleak.jpg

Also, when I first started the car you could see smoke flowing around the flex pipe area. It's one of three things I think. The o2 sensor threads got stripped, so it's just not sitting tight, the weld in the photo is forked, and I need to take it in to have it patched, or the flex is shot. As always, your help is appreciated guys.
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »

Hard to see if it is cracked... you might have stripped the threads taking out the old 02 sensor, I know I did when I changed out mine. I had to rethread it and the o2 sensor sat fine. No problems since. Btw your flex pipe is clean as hell...

*Next time use the [img] code from photobucket so the picture loads up!

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »

Quote from: "CrazyCreashunz"
Hard to see if it is cracked... you might have stripped the threads taking out the old 02 sensor, I know I did when I changed out mine. I had to rethread it and the o2 sensor sat fine. No problems since. Btw your flex pipe is clean as hell...

That's definitely a possibility. I screwed the new one in already, and it sits flush, and still "turned" while screwing it in, but it took a good amount of effort getting it all the way down. I can't rule out that the threads on the header aren't stripped, I just know it has to be stupid tight for it to not fall out. I thought it was tight the first time and it fell out on me. When I re-screwed the broken sensor in, I made sure it was in good. Same today when I replaced it with a new one. I figure my best bet is to take it to an exhaust shop now and see what they say because there's definitely a leak somewhere. Again, I noticed grey smoke swirling around the flex pipe area like the flex pipe itself was haunted immediately after the car was turned on, it stopped about 2 minutes later. The hot air I felt was flowing from right the area around the o2 sensor, so I'm trying to figure out if the o2 sensor hole there has a leak, or it's the weld next to it.

I'm reluctant to think it's the flex, because it DID NOT sound like this (which was later diagnosed to be a cracked flex pipe):

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/nexson1/?action=view&current=MVI_4514.flv

What's involved with rethreading it? Do you have to take the whole downpipe off?
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »

OK... well asfar as the rethreading is concerned they sell a tool set and you can do it yourself OR the shop can do it for you! You could possibly have a leak if your still get smoke swirls around the flex pipe. Take it to the shop and have them check it out for you...

OFF TOPIC for a sec....

Where in NYC you from...? Chime in on the NYCM squad thread HERE plus there is a bbq meet up in CT you can check out HERE

Hope to see you at some meets dude! Get to know your fellow members...

frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

OK... well asfar as the rethreading is concerned they sell a tool set and you can do it yourself OR the shop can do it for you! You could possibly have a leak if your still get smoke swirls around the flex pipe. Take it to the shop and have them check it out for you...

OFF TOPIC for a sec....

Where in NYC you from...? Chime in on the NYCM squad thread HERE plus there is a bbq meet up in CT you can check out HERE

Hope to see you at some meets dude! Get to know your fellow members...

Yeah, I plan on taking it to a shop next week. The good news is, when calling around for estimates, I was referred to this small custom exhaust shop by a regular garage (which I've been looking for for a while, they don't exactly advertise in the yellow pages).. and he has a mandrel bending machine (which noone else around here seems to have), so when I do my exhaust, I'll probably go back to him, provided he does good work and gives me a fair deal.

**** Question.. to rethread the hole for the o2 sensor.. Do they have to take off the downpipe? I suppose it doesn't matter. If it needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed. So sick of spending money on this damn install.

As far as NYC goes, I used to live on 34th and 9th in Manhattan for nearly a decade.. then moved back to LI to finish school. I still DJ in the city Thurs - Fri - Sat. Would love to come hang out, but I work Saturday's man.. gotta be spinning by 10.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »

From what you've described, I'm guessing it's the flex pipe.  You should go to an exhaust shop and have them find the leak and fix it.

Tim
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »

Quote from: "frostnyc"

**** Question.. to rethread the hole for the o2 sensor.. Do they have to take off the downpipe? I suppose it doesn't matter. If it needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed. So sick of spending money on this damn install.

As far as NYC goes, I used to live on 34th and 9th in Manhattan for nearly a decade.. then moved back to LI to finish school. I still DJ in the city Thurs - Fri - Sat. Would love to come hang out, but I work Saturday's man.. gotta be spinning by 10.

Nah the pipe dose'nt have to be off to rethread, having the ride on a lift would be easier for sure but since you getting that leak fixed they can do it without a problem since the pipe has to come off.

We do meets during the morning/day you can be back spinning records don't worry lolz... make a profile HERE so we can see your ride! Good luck with your fix man...

frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »

We do meets during the morning/day you can be back spinning records don't worry lolz... make a profile HERE so we can see your ride! Good luck with your fix man...

Done, and thanks man. I'll report back when everything is fixed and let you know what it was..
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »

Quote from: "frostnyc"

Done, and thanks man. I'll report back when everything is fixed and let you know what it was..

No doubt, we are all here to help!  :thumbup:

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012