Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:22 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install Headers  (Read 35937 times)
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »

No worries. I'm one of those that breaks shit off if its in my way and I don't need it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:50 PM »

I just installed the headers and was wondering if that whistle is normal? Engine makes an annoying whitsle when a press throttle moderately???

fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

I did some research and apparently the o rings are pretty crap. I think I was the lucky one and got a bad o ring, which doesn't make a perfect seal. So I will now have to order some o ring gaskets. Boo
Edit: I don't know if it might be the flex pipe or just a bad o ring. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem area?

Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »

with the car running, spray a soap/water solution on the possible problem areas to see if there is a leak

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

Ok thanks I will try that, hopefully this weekend.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »

The other thing that you could do is get a mechanic's stethiscope and use that in the area where you suspect the exhaust leak.  That's what they use at most exhaust shops.  Hopefully it's the o-ring gasket though.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »

Today after I changed my spark plugs, I went and checked my header to see if anything was loose and found one bolt near the top of the motor loose. so I tightened it. All other nuts and bolts were secure. So I thought that one loose bolt was the culprit of my problem. But after taking a test drive the hiss was still there. So I will to try something else. I don't have much time to be going to a mechanic shop. Soo, I was thinkig if I can grab exhaust tape and wrap the flex pipe in it. Then hopefully I can narrow it down to two things: If the hiss goes away then I know it's the flex pipe. If the hissing remains then it would have to be an o ring gasket. what do you guys think?

p.s can i even you use any kind of tape just to take it around the block to test it?

frostnyc
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
frostnyc pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »

So post header install, after a few minor issues, my car sounds very very raspy at low RPM's. I'm not sure what could be the culprit other than a loose bolt (no whistles, it's just raspy as hell), OR the fact that the rest of my exhaust is still stock, and the stock equipment just doesn't sound good with the extra free'd up airflow. Also, my cat is SULEV... not sure if that has anything to do with anything. Car is a i4 AT. Other breather mods include Fujita CAI and TSX IM.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »

Where is the "raspy" noise coming from?  Your muffler, or around the header?

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"

I *think* it's coming from around the header, because the sound is amplified when I'm next to other solid objects (i.e. other cars, dividers, etc.). Another thing I should probably mention is I'm still using a broken o2 sensor. My original fell out and got destroyed. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I have a new one coming in the mail so I can finally get rid of this CEL.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

Do you have anything plugging the hole for the primary a/f sensor on your header right now?

Tim
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »

Quote from: "frostnyc"

Another thing I should probably mention is I'm still using a broken o2 sensor. My original fell out and got destroyed. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I have a new one coming in the mail so I can finally get rid of this CEL.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »

Do you have anything plugging the hole for the primary a/f sensor on your header right now?

yes, the broken one, so it doesn't sound like a ride-on lawn mower (there's no mistaking the sound when that thing pops out). now it only sounds like one of those push mowers.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

From the description, it sounds like a bad leak from one of the junctions and not the flex pipe. You might have a blown gasket or that o2 sensor isn't plugging up the hole very well. If you were to lay down next to your car and listen for it, it'd help you and us determine what the problem is. Another question I have is if there are any mods to the stock exhaust (I.e. removed resonator) or is it unmolested?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
frostnyc
Fucking Newb

frostnyc pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 03:24:35 PM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
From the description, it sounds like a bad leak from one of the junctions and not the flex pipe. You might have a blown gasket or that o2 sensor isn't plugging up the hole very well. If you were to lay down next to your car and listen for it, it'd help you and us determine what the problem is. Another question I have is if there are any mods to the stock exhaust (I.e. removed resonator) or is it unmolested?

The stock exhaust remains unmolested..
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012