Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:01:09 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use deionized water?  (Read 7605 times)
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 03:27:49 PM »

in a related (but slightly off-topic) story, the professor I work under is a big fish collector and has one of those giant 50 Gallon tanks, apparently he only uses deionized water and has the change it only once a year...he mentioned something along the lines of when the water evaporates there is less precipitate left in the tank = less cleaning

I remember back on that show Pimp My Ride, they were sponsored by mr. clean and would always show them using it and mentioning no drying needed. Also, I was looking up info on this and some of the really high end detailers (like the ones that show up with a giant truck full of supplies and detail nothing but Ferraris) carry around giant tanks in their trucks full of dionizied water for the final rinse.

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »

The spots are caused by hard water...dissolved minerals in the water.  A water softener should be sufficient to prevent water spots.  Higher degrees of filtration such as reverse osmosis and deionized water is a bit excessive.  We use deionized water for molecular genetics work in my lab...I don't think you need water that pure to wash your car...but if it floats your boat go for it.
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
The spots are caused by hard water...dissolved minerals in the water.  A water softener should be sufficient to prevent water spots.  Higher degrees of filtration such as reverse osmosis and deionized water is a bit excessive.  We use deionized water for molecular genetics work in my lab...I don't think you need water that pure to wash your car...but if it floats your boat go for it.

I just love my car so much lol, maybe i'll add some DEPC for good measure!

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Deep Gloss

Reputation Power: 1
Deep Gloss pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

I've tried the Mr clean thing and returned it...

The best system I know of if you truly want to be able to rinse your car and let it air dry is the CR spotless. Many detailers use this system.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... d=11201522
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

Quote from: "Deep Gloss"

The best system I know of if you truly want to be able to rinse your car and let it air dry is the CR spotless. Many detailers use this system.

I was hoping you'd chime in!  I remember talking about this last year when it was on sale in the Canada Costco warehouses.

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »

is this what you use?

pretty pricey for your average car owner, but i'm sure it's worth it for a detailer

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »

The spotless rinse at the car wash places is a joke.  Those places never change the filters for the spotless rinse.
Deep Gloss

Deep Gloss pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »

Quote from: "ikethegreat"
The spotless rinse at the car wash places is a joke.  Those places never change the filters for the spotless rinse.
Agreed!
Deep Gloss

Deep Gloss pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »

Quote from: "mnkyman"

is this what you use?

pretty pricey for your average car owner, but i'm sure it's worth it for a detailer

I dont have water spotting issues here... I have thought about getting it just so I wouldn't have to be bothered with drying but haven't yet forked out the coin justto skip the drying step...
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »

man I wish I had one of those systems today..went home for the weekend and took advantage of the drive way to clean my car first time in 4 months...it was so hot today water would evaporate so fast leaving white spots...had to keep rinsing the entire car every 5 minutes to keep it wet and prevent the spots from forming...

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012