Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 08:59:27 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Carbon Fiber stuff  (Read 14181 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »

well, first atempt didnt work when i tried TL engine cover. Vacume bagging is a must for this stuff unless you wana do 2 stages, applying resin, letting it dry so its sticky but not cured and then putting cf over it, letting it dry and then another coat or two on top to cure CF.

vacume bagging is easier i think for somewhat complex surfaces.
here is when i tried my TL engine cover

problem was that there was too much resin in some parts so it needs to be sanded down and some CF is not flat against the cover in some places(not that bad but if you look closer you can see irregularities in weave

here is my door sills that i used vacume bagging(i got foodsaver type thing off ebay and it works great, only bad part is that its gona be hard to to wide stuff so have to figure out that. bags are sometimes reuseable as long as there is no holes after first use

this turned out great. weave patter was matched so it looks good instead of weave going in same direction on both sides. still need to sand it and clear coat it or another coat of resin, not sure what im gona do yet
[/b]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:33:37 AM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »

looks good man looks real professional

AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:55:43 AM »

thanks. it will be looking more profesional once im done with it. im putting Mugen decal on those as well lol

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:02 AM »

looks good, how much would you charge to do my IM cover and Spark Plug cover

Tory
"Low and Slow"
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »

Quote from: "Slammedk24"

dont know. got pictures of it.

Misha
Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »

I'll get some when I get done with class

Tory
"Low and Slow"
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
Quote from: "Slammedk24"

dont know. got pictures of it.

I'd imagine the IM cover would be a bitch to do because the bags would be too small for it.  Not sure though, some of those freezer bags can be quite big.  The spark plug cover should be easier than the door sills as it's shorter and about as wide.  

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »

i have bag thats about 12" wide i think, im just wondering about curvature and stuff. i can get big bad and use hose attachment to get air out and seal bag with tape, just need to figure out how to put air attachment into bag and has it sealed.

Misha
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »

The bagged stuff looks good.  Can't wait to see it in person.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »

the CF door sills look great!  no worries about the heat from the engine affecting the CF overlay?

J u s t i n
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »

Quote from: "v6sicksspeed"
the CF door sills look great!  no worries about the heat from the engine affecting the CF overlay?

engine cover did warp when i forgot it but comes back to original shape after it cools, maybe it does it couse i used too much resin (couse it was not vacume sealed to get extra resin out

Misha
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »

how much to make me a set of door seals? any way of matching the pattern of the feux CF in the accord dash?

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »

Same question how much for some door sills they look sick
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »

Quote from: "mnkyman"
how much to make me a set of door seals? any way of matching the pattern of the feux CF in the accord dash?

there is way to match but oem 06-07 trim as well as 03-05 are 1x1 twill pattern, mine is 2x2. i dont have 1x1 couse i dont like it couse it looks cheap and looks like stickers from ebay. 2x2 is what used for 95% of car parts, i did see some cf parts on cars in 1x1 and it didnt look good but everybody's taste is different.

door sills probably would be $70-100, $70 if you wana do sanding clear coating yourself couse i spend 3 hours yesterday wet sanding mine and its pita.

i did primary layer of resin to get cf cured and then put another layer on after it dried to built up some clear layer, possible to do 3rd layer but its hard to do without bubles in some places, its possible but i havent gotten to that point yet.

i will have to sand all parts that i do from now on before putting resin on couse my door sills cf starting to come apart from plastic. so im gona put some glue to keep them to stay on. im still learning all this stuff

yesterday i did my friends door sills on prelude and didn't come out good. i was able to take cf off like it was mold. so its good on some ways and bad in some.

i can have them made, maybe 4 door sills since some of you interested. if they turn out good i can sell them, if not them oh well.

here is pics i took this morning

Misha
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »

Starting with a rough surface on the sills will definitely help the resin adhere to the plastic better.  I'm not sure if you do any other prep work, but making sure that they are cleaned thoroughly is also a good idea.  If you vacuum bag the initial layer of resin, you could spray on the additional layers of resin with a HVLP gun like a clear coat to ensure an even coat and no bubbles.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012