Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:23 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Legend GS 2 piston caliper conversion on V6  (Read 18063 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »

i have new Hawk HPS pads for GS calipers if somebody interested.

well Tim did his on I4 and im sure its not much different from v6 but i got pics lol Smiley
this i just a guide, im not responsible for your mistakes, use shop manual if you not sure with something and of course common sense. if something doesn't fit then dont force it in

parts needed:

94-95 Legend GS 2 piston calipers
94-95 Legend GS pads
1 or 2 bottles of Honda brake fluid (for bleeding brake lines)

tools needed
14mm socket  (for caliper bolts)
14mm wrench (for caliper bolts)
17mm socket (for caliper bracket bolts)
17mm wrench (for caliper bracket bolts)
19mm open ended wrench (to hold caliper nut to take off caliper bolt, sometimes its needed)
10mm wrench(for bleed valve)
impact philips screw driver (to unscrew rotors screws)
if you have flex head wrachet that will help a lot
preferably torque wrench
Hammer
paper towels or somekinda rug or old tshirts, to keep brake fluid leaving all over the place

Step 1: Take off your wheels

remember: righty tighty, lefty loosy lol
Step 2: unscrew bolts that hold calipers, one on top and one on bottom. leave one of the bolts in couple threads until you get other bolt off, this will make your life easier. sometimes you have to hold 19mm "nut" to take off 14mm bolt on caliper.
take off caliper and put it on top of hub for now so it doesnt fall off. do not take off brake line off until you install new caliper on, 1 because you will let more brake fluid out then needed, 2 you want to make sure new caliper is good before going further!!!!!!

Step 3: take off 2 bolts that hold caliper bracket, use 17mm socket. you have to take off caliper bracket to get rotors out and/or paint them if you want.

Step 4: Use impact philips screw driver to take off 2 screws that hold Brake rotor to the hub, you might need to use hummer to get rotor off the hub.

Step 5 is optional: either you get new rotors or get old once resurfaced(recommendation: GET NEW ONCE!!!)

Step 6: Put new or resurfaced rotor back on and put screws back in and tighten them.

Step 7: Put brake caliper bracket back on and torque bolts to 79.6Lbf*ft/108N*m
Note: i didnt replace anything on my brackets (seals or sliding bolts but its recommended since you get them with calipers and i will do it when i take off brackets off for painting)

Step 8: put new brake pads in and test fit caliper. if it goes over new pads fine then continue to step 9, if not then see notes. you might need to put anti-squeal stuff on, i didnt and now brakes squeal because i don't have shims on.
note: if you using new brembo blanks and maybe other rotors and EBC green stuff, you will need to take shims off because caliper would not fit over mine
Important Note: you have to replaced OEM Right caliper with GS Left caliper for reason to have bleed screw at the top

Step 9: Put new caliper on, put bolts in and torque them to 37 Lbf*ft/50 N*m. don't forget to put any retainer springs that supposed to come with rotors.

Step 10: now that you know everything fits, take off brake line from old caliper and put it on new one(yes accord line fits legend calipers. tighten the brake line bolt to 25Lbf*ft/34N*m. DO NOT FORGET WASHERS FROM EACH END OF BRAKE LINE ON BOLT

Step 11: bleed new calipers (you will need another human for this). bleed screw 7lbf*ft/9N*m
dont forget to take bleed screw cap from old calipers and put it on new once

Step 12: go back and make sure you tighten all bolts

Step 13: go back again and make sure you tighten all bolts, you dont want brakes fail when you go for brake in drive

Step 14. put wheels back on and torque bolts to spec

Step 15: go out on road and brake in pads according to instructions
can be found here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=638
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:30:14 PM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »

Good write up Misha.  Stickied!!

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »

yay, me haz stickie

have to take more pics soon when i swap rest of the parts and paint brakets

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »

I need to complete this mod asap!
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »

Looking good man.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »

hows it feel?
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:04:12 AM »

wow looks great looks way better then stock

AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »

^^^ it feels very nice, stops a lot faster then stock. they are not fully broken in im sure. not sure if it looks better then stock or not since you wouldnt know if its not stock unless you know about GS calipers. will look better when i paint the brackets properly. was afraid to take them off last time to paint them but now since i took brakes off several times im more confident of doing it

Misha
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »

ordered EBC green stuff pads for rear brakes since dont know if mine will pass. probably just gona resurface rotors

put shims on one side brake pads with disk quiet stuff to help with squaling. now seems that only one side squals so shims deff work.

painted one of my brakets. now it looks a lot better.
removed paint from back calipers, will paint maybe next week after inspection

is there any brake upgrade for rear couse rears look very small comparing to front and honda hasnt changed rear since 1990 couse pads fit from 90-07 it seems and caliper made by some other company, wtf, they couldnt just stay with nissin or something

Misha
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »

seen RS32 yesterday and noticed they have dual piston calipers in front as well

and saturn hybrid suv has them too.

Misha
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »

was at junk yard today. mazda millenia has dual piston calipers too (i guess 98 models

Misha
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »

if you don't mind me asking, how much money would this setup cost for the parts?  thanks to this write-up if the price isn't bad, I may be doing this as well.

-brian
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »

I just bought the items to do this mod:

Used Calipers = $125
EBC Rotors = $150
Hawk HPS Pads = $99 (Got a special deal on mine Thank you!!!)
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

money wise depends on components you chouse. if you get remanufactured calipers or from junk yard, what rotors you gona get and what pads. its hard to say how much it will cost you

Misha
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »

I'm planning on upgrading my brakes soon anyways, probably going to do the EBC green stuff with Ultimaxx Rotors, or brembo blanks (haven't decided).  I just meant how much the used calipers are.  

if I can get them for around what Mike got them for that won't "brake" my bank. lol.

-brian
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012