Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:50:11 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking Left...  (Read 20933 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »

An out of balance wheel will not cause swaying. Out of balance wheels will only cause a vibration after a certain speed.
HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

Update.

Did this over the weekend.  Rotated the new wheels (back to fronts and vice versa) to try and alleviate the swaying / massive fish tailing issue.  No change.  Swapped back to the old wheels to see if it was the new wheels causing the swaying.  Swaying and fish tailing persisted with the old, and actually got MUCH WORSE.

This morning I realigned the rear wheels to OEM spec.  SWAYING AND FISH TAILING IS GONE COMPLETELY.    Looks like the SEVERLY OUT OF OEM SPEC CAMBER was the culprit.  Rides smooth like butter now.  Gonna realign the front to OEM spec soon.

Honestly, I had not anticipated that the camber settings had that ill of an effect, especially when others (CM Accords, and other makes/models into the aggressive "stance" fitment scene) are running excessive camber with, assumedly, no notcieable adverse effects.  Embarrassed... An example would be Oni-Camber from Japan.  Oh well.  Lessons learned.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:47:55 PM by HEcreated487 » Logged

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

Swapped back to the old wheels to see if it was the new wheels causing the swaying.  Swaying and fish tailing persisted with the old, and actually got MUCH WORSE.

This morning I realigned the rear wheels to OEM spec.  SWAYING AND FISH TAILING IS GONE COMPLETELY  Looks like the SEVERLY OUT OF OEM SPEC CAMBER was the culprit.  Rides smooth like butter now.  Gonna realign the front to OEM spec soon.
Swapping back to the OEM wheels does not surprise me that it caused it to be worse; it is less of a contact patch due to the tire not being as wide.

The reason why other cars don't notice it and you did is tire quality, as Thien has previously stated and I previously alluded to.  I honestly would not be surprised if you had a better quality tire, such as a Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Pole Position or Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, that you would not have had the same issues you experienced.  The particular rubber compound used to create the tire is especially important when running an aggressive setup.

- Mark
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »

Thanks Mark.  It was a combination of things.  The new wheels and tires are for sale now Smiley

HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »

Update:  The noticeable body sway, initiated from the rear of the car, is still present.  All alignment settings are in OEM spec, old tires re-installed and rotated.  Swaying persists.  WTH is going on?  Cry... Your input would be much appreciated.  Having an experience mechanic look at it.

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »

Im assuming it didn't happen with the old tires before the swap. How smooth are the roads there? Are you driving on a certain side of the road? What tires are on your car right now? Did you place the wheels/tires back where they originally were? Could you take a pic of your alignment print out? Do you have an aftermarket sway bar?

There is a lot of variables that could cause your problem. You will have to give us detailed information in order for us to try and solve your problem.
Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »

Didn't you recently change your suspension?

A S I M O
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »

Im assuming it didn't happen with the old tires before the swap. How smooth are the roads there? Are you driving on a certain side of the road? What tires are on your car right now? Did you place the wheels/tires back where they originally were? Could you take a pic of your alignment print out? Do you have an aftermarket sway bar?

There is a lot of variables that could cause your problem. You will have to give us detailed information in order for us to try and solve your problem.
Thanks for the response, Thien.  I'll answer in order your questions were posted.
  • Yes, you are correct.  It did not sway with the old tires before the swap.
  • The road conditions vary greatly.  Main streets are decent, but not ideal.  Side and back streets are terrible.  The DOT sucks here and the road maintenance has been very sub-par, not to mention it's currently significantly backlogged.  Doesn't help that I live on a private lane full of pot holes.
  • Unsure on how to answer the question regarding the "side of the road".  As mentioned previously, there are certain stretches of roads that consistently produce the swaying.  I drive those everyday and it's almost certain the swaying will occur in those areas.
  • Current tires are BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS, 215/45/18.  Used approximately 30K or so.  Has bad camber wear due to a loose toe arm from a couple of years ago.  The arm has been fixed for sometime, but the wear is forever uneven.  LOL.
  • Did not place the wheels in the exact same positions as they originally were.  I plan to do a tire rotation soon.
  • I do not have an alignment print out.  I do a self alignment using jack stands, a string, a level and a measuring tape.  I am confident it's accurate since I have done it numerous times before and when having it professionally aligned via Hunters equipment, I was within OEM spec or outside of OEM spec, but very near it.
  • OEM sway bar.
Didn't you recently change your suspension?
Yes and no?  I upgraded my suspension about 5K miles ago, so nothing really recent.  The only adjustment I have done recently (since the start of this thread) was raise it up approximately 1" and completed a realignment.

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Its a possibility that those heavily cambered tires are just worn out. As for your at home alignment adjustment, I wouldn't trust that. Even the slightest adjustment causes a heavy change in alignment spec. I would highly recommend getting an alignment done by a shop who has the proper equipment. I don't which shop you have been taking it too, but it is a possibility their machine is out of spec. Also, the position of your heavily camber tires plays an effect as well. If they are really cambered and on the rears, it will sway like before. Could you take a picture of your cambered tires and your alignment sheet. I want to see your alignment reading. That way I can determine what is going on with your swaying problem.
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

Thanks again, Thien.  I plan on getting new tires and an alignment soon.  If that mitigates the swaying, I'd be a happy camper. Smiley

HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

Update.

Swapped to stock/OEM suspension  (Yuck... :Smiley), OEM camber/toe arms rear and OEM UCA front.  New tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All-Season 225/45/18 on 18x7 OEM Matrix XRS wheels).  Professionally mounted and balanced.  Full re-alignment to OEM specs all around.  I checked most of the bushings front and rear, and they seemed ok (i.e. no tears, cracks, worn appearance).

Results:  There is still a slight swaying noticed.  Not as prominent as before, but there.  Same stretches of roads cause the swaying to amplify.  Any suggestions on its origination?  Any further input is appreciated.

At least it can be deduced that the aftermarket suspension (and its components), the SNAs with Achilles tires and aggressive negative camber weren't the only factors...

Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »

How is the wear on the tires?

I always have messed up tracking with Honda cars... never fixed . However I have never gone through the detail like yourself.

A S I M O
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »

Thanks for the response, Asim.  The tire wear on the previous tires was decent, although an improperly installed aftermarket toe arm caused accelerated tire wear on the inside tread.  The toe arm issue was resolved a while back.  I now have new tires, so I will be monitoring its overall wear progress.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »

At stock height.  Sad

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »

At stock height.  Sad
So very sad, my heart is.  Sad  Cry... I guess just gotta do what's necessary to diagnose issues.  On a positive note, though, the stock ride is so damn comfortable. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:25:34 PM by HEcreated487 » Logged

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012