Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:24:46 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ported Intake Runners  (Read 4982 times)
Povy
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
Povy pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »

So I have ported two sets of runners. The first being from a TSX (which will not work on our accords) The second being the OEM runners that were on my CM5

The TSX runners I ported out to 2-1/8'' where the stock diameter was just under 2". Doesn't seem like a lot but There were definitely noticable gains.

Now the reason the TSX runners/inj base will NOT work on the Accords is because the TSX does not recycle the exhaust gases through the runners like the Accord does. There are only four small ports in the runners on the TSX set. On the Accord however for "maximum efficiency" the exhaust gases are dumped into the runners via four large ports right at the top of the runners where it connects to the intake manifold. I think the TSX doesn't have these because they have Vtec on the exhaust side so they just dump it. Because when i blow into the hole that should be where the EGR gases flow through its blocked somewhere internally. On the accords it's free flowing.

Anyways So since i threw a CEL for "Exhaust gas recirculation insufficient" I went ahead and ported out the OEM set from my car.

These I ported out to 2-3/8" which was significantly larger than the stock size.  I have these paired along with Ralco Stock Diameter lightweight pulleys, TSX IM, TB, and weapon-R secret weapon intake. Love the results! booty dyno definitely likes it and the engine literally ROARS when vtec engages.

pics

Accord Runner stamp

TSX Runner Stamp

First set (TSX)

Second set (Accord)

This one was ported more after pic was taken Smiley

Comparison of stock and ported runners

Went ahead and bought a thermal Gasket from Zerg

Before PNP

After

Questions Comments Likes and dislikes welcome  Grin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:01:06 PM by Povy » Logged
fatbastard

Reputation Power: 7
fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »

i wish you had before and after dyno graphs or 0-60 time slips for these mods.

people here swear by gains from the TSX IM (me included) so i dunno if the gains you've felt can be attibuted to it or the ported runners. anyone with any ideas?

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
Povy
Fucking Newb

Povy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »

You and me both  Wink I already had the TSX IM on for over a year. Then last fall found a deal on the TSX throttle body.  So I think the combo has helped a lot. But yes I agree I'd love to get some dyno runs in but just wish it was a standard.  Cry.

After letting the ECU get used to the new mods here's another video.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:11:54 AM by Povy » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »

Did you port match the runners to the gasket? Was there any overlap on the intake ports on the head. Sometimes if there is an edge it can create turbulence and hurt power.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Povy
Fucking Newb

Povy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »

Did you port match the runners to the gasket? Was there any overlap on the intake ports on the head. Sometimes if there is an edge it can create turbulence and hurt power.

Yes sir! Gasket matched and pretty dang close to the head match.  Wink The intake ports on the head are ever so slightly larger than the runners. I plan on going in later and matching up the head and fine polish the runners for even better flow. The only reason I hadn't done that to this set was I was under time constraints to get it finished. Dang college life.  Sad

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:52:09 AM by Povy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012