Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:49 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio/Video Q&A Thread  (Read 194125 times)
Accord Euro-R

Reputation Power: 5
Accord Euro-R pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »

Real quick question...as Crutchfield is pissing me off with its retardedness.  Are the door speakers on a coupe 6.5" or 5.75"?  It is telling me that both fit, but I imagine one requires brackets and the other does not.  Trying to figure out which JL speakers I need to do my doors and tweeters but they can't get specific enough.

"Euro-R" Concept - USDM CM82
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »

Usually you need adapters for 6.5".  Another thing to take into consideration is speaker depth.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »

Thread Bump.

Ok, read through this entire thread and found some answers I was looking for.  Still have more that hopefully Tim, et al, will surely be able to provide a response to Smiley... Thanks in advance Tim.

System Components:

H/U:  Pioneer DEH-P6600
- Added Pioneer CDRB10 Auxilary Input Adapter
Fronts: 5.25 Polk DB525.  Installed them with American International HSB-518 Speaker Adapter and Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness.
Rears: 6x9 Polk DB690.  Installed with Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness.
Amp:  MTX 3002 amp for sub.  Set at LP filter.
Sub: Infinity Reference Series 12"

Problem is that the mid-bass is lacking significantly in the front.  My stock had better mid-bass than what I'm experiencing now.  I have the fade set only slightly to the front (+3 of range = -14 to +14).   I've adjusted the midbass to max on the internal EQ within the H/U (+6 of range = -6 to +6).  Any suggestions?

My amp also has 3 adjustment knobs: Gain, Bass Boost and Frequency.  Pretty self explanatory, but just looking whether anyone had any advice on properly adjusting these knobs to clean up the bass response.  I have to check the amp specs for the frequency range and properly adjust that knob to suite the sub....

I apologize for being a noob.   Huh?

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »

Ok guys am looking to re-do my rear speakers swap them out for something better, But my oem speaker plugs  have been cut so  is there anywhere i can get the oem connectors that come from factory?

Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »

Thread Bump.

Ok, read through this entire thread and found some answers I was looking for.  Still have more that hopefully Tim, et al, will surely be able to provide a response to Smiley... Thanks in advance Tim.

System Components:

H/U:  Pioneer DEH-P6600
- Added Pioneer CDRB10 Auxilary Input Adapter
Fronts: 5.25 Polk DB525.  Installed them with American International HSB-518 Speaker Adapter and Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness.
Rears: 6x9 Polk DB690.  Installed with Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness.
Amp:  MTX 3002 amp for sub.  Set at LP filter.
Sub: Infinity Reference Series 12"

Problem is that the mid-bass is lacking significantly in the front.  My stock had better mid-bass than what I'm experiencing now.  I have the fade set only slightly to the front (+3 of range = -14 to +14).   I've adjusted the midbass to max on the internal EQ within the H/U (+6 of range = -6 to +6).  Any suggestions?

My amp also has 3 adjustment knobs: Gain, Bass Boost and Frequency.  Pretty self explanatory, but just looking whether anyone had any advice on properly adjusting these knobs to clean up the bass response.  I have to check the amp specs for the frequency range and properly adjust that knob to suite the sub....

I apologize for being a noob.   Huh?

Give the polks time to break in for starters.  For some reason it seems to take about 50 hours of use before they start sounding good.  Also, because they aren't amped, your not going to ever have great midbass response, as the head unit's built in amps simply don't have enough power (it's not purely the wattage as much as how fast the amp can get the power to change directions with the heavier speaker - heavier speaker = more EMF)

I have those speakers installed in a different vehicle and it took a while before they sounded okay.  In my car I have Polk Momo's (6.5's) and they took a while to break in as well.  It wasn't until I amped them that I felt they were an improvement over stock.  Adding the amp made a much bigger different than changing the speakers on my car.  I found that the Aftermarket headunit resulted in poorer midbass even with stock speakers, and stayed about the same when I swapped to the polks (I sealed the doors at the same time though, so that would have improved the mid bass if everything else stayed the same).  As the polks broke in, it improved a bit and ended up being a bit better than stock, but hardly noticable.  When I added the amp, the sound as a whole, but especially the midbass, improved very noticably, and I'm completely happy with my car's midbass now.  I have them high passed at 67hz for integration with my sub, but 80hz is probably a more appropriate starting point for your 5.25's

I used a multimeter to set the gains for my amp.  Leave bass boost at 0 (your head unit can take care of boosting the bass unless you want it to be disproportionate).  If you HU has time alignment, be sure to use it as that makes a big difference.  If not, don't be scared to run your sub out of phase to try get better integration.  A good place to start for frequency is 80-100hz considering your smaller front speakers and the resulting natural roll off on them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:06:58 PM by Sworkhard » Logged

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

^^^ Thanks Sworkhard!  I lost my original user manual for the head unit and finally downloaded a replacement.  There are a lot of features that are being underutilized, so some tweaking to the current settings will definitely produce a better sound stage.  Hopefully updates soon Smiley

Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »

^^^ Thanks Sworkhard!  I lost my original user manual for the head unit and finally downloaded a replacement.  There are a lot of features that are being underutilized, so some tweaking to the current settings will definitely produce a better sound stage.  Hopefully updates soon Smiley

Never thought of it earlier, but make sure the speakers are all in phase otherwise one could be 'sucking' while the other is 'blowing' resulting in quiet mids/midbass.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
HEcreated487

HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »

^^ Thanks again Sworkhard!  I used the Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harnesses to install all the speakers due to simplicity.  Pretty confident the wires were connected to the correct positive/negative leads since the positive/negative speaker connectors are two different sizes.  Not definite, but am assuming the speakers are in phase.

Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: July 13, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »

Alright, I want to stop bugging Tim about this problem I've been having, so I'll post it here.

I have a Soundgate AUXHOND3 aux adapter installed in my car. I have the 6CD dual climate head unit. Whenever I plug my phone into the aux adapter, it sounds fine. However, whenever I plug my phone into the aux adapter and a cigarette car charger, I get that annoying alternator whine. So it's a ground loop issue.

Originally, I was going to take the ground wire from the aux adapter and hook it up to the cigarette lighter ground, but then I got lazy and got a ground loop isolator from Radioshack. That seems to be working fine, but I want my car to be Tim-approved, so I just got an idea. What if I grounded the whole head unit to the same ground as the cigarette lighter?

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be accomplished? Would I have to cut the power wire to the head unit and rewire it? Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I did find a ground bolt behind the cubby with about 3-4 different wires hooked up to it. I have a feeling that one of those is for the cigarette lighter. I figured wiring the head unit to that ground bolt would help.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:01:07 AM by Jeff » Logged

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »

Jeff, can of gas and some matches. 

In all seriousness, I think that should solve your issue. Honestly, definitely take out that Radio shack garbage and ground your HU to that bolt if it'll make your life easier. Another thing you can do is tie the ground from your adapter to the ground wire of your HU with a good soldered connection and some heat shrink.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
rich

Reputation Power: 4
rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »

Ok guys am looking to re-do my rear speakers swap them out for something better, But my oem speaker plugs  have been cut so  is there anywhere i can get the oem connectors that come from factory?

there's honestly no point in doing that because then you'll be spending extra money to get the aftermarket harnesses to adapt to factory to install aftermarket speakers...your best bet is to use crutchfield/the12volt.com to find pos/neg speaker wire colors and just put terminal connectors on the factory wires and connect them to the terminals on the speaker

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6speed
for sale!
Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »

Jeff, can of gas and some matches.  

In all seriousness, I think that should solve your issue. Honestly, definitely take out that Radio shack garbage and ground your HU to that bolt if it'll make your life easier. Another thing you can do is tie the ground from your adapter to the ground wire of your HU with a good soldered connection and some heat shrink.
Damnit, I have a new car, I don't want that to happen anymore! Lmao  laugh

The only problem I have is, although I may be mechanically inclined, I'm nowhere near as good with electronics. Sure, I'm fine when it's just hooking up the black, white, and green wire, but when I took a look at the harness for the head unit and how many wires there are, I haven't the slightest idea what to do. I know one of the many wires there (a black one I'm sure) is the ground wire, but all of those wires are so small.

Is there a way to ground straight from the head unit to the ground bolt without having to mess with the factory harness? I honestly don't want to fuck around with that stuff if possible. For now, I'll leave the Radioshit isolator in until I get things squared away. I have 30 days to return it anyways.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:45:35 PM by Jeff » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: July 13, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: July 13, 2011, 11:21:12 PM »

Haha I know Tim, I suck! I'm turrible at electronics, and I have a bad case of the lazies.  Suicide

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »

Cutting corners never works.

Tim
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012