Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:04:59 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio/Video Q&A Thread  (Read 195284 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: November 26, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

Yes.  Now it makes sense.  Hi is if you're using speaker level inputs, Lo is if you're using RCA inputs.  You definitely want to set it to Lo on the switch, then turn the input gains all the way down.  They are not volume adjustments, you use those to match the output voltage of your head unit.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 26, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »

Excellent, thanks!
Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

Yes.  Now it makes sense.  Hi is if you're using speaker level inputs, Lo is if you're using RCA inputs.  You definitely want to set it to Lo on the switch, then turn the input gains all the way down.  They are not volume adjustments, you use those to match the output voltage of your head unit.

I totally used my gain setting for the sub like a volume control, even after matching the voltage I didn't feel like it was enough power Sad

I think maybe I need to switch to a ported sub box instead and play with the crossovers like you had suggested

A S I M O
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »

I figured he meant that for the speakers only, not the sub. 
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »

Speaking of amp gains, what is the proper way of setting them?  My amp's manual doesn't really say. 
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »

Googling the question above gave some very indepth and technical answers.  I did find these instructions which seem to be more on my level lol.

1. Play a typically loud music CD in your headunit. Set volume to 75%. Wear ear protection.
2. Starting with the amp gains at their lowest setting, slowly raise one gain at a time until you hear clipping from the corresponding speaker. This will sound like audible distortion.
3. Once you've found the clipping point, back the gain down until you no longer hear the distortion.
4. Repeat for any addt'l gains on the amp/amps.
5. Your new maximum volume setting on the headunit is 75%, never exceed that for happy, healthy speaker life.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

Follow up question.  With the gain on the lowest setting for both speakers, the rear speakers completely overpower the front speakers.  Should I just keep the gain for the rears on the lowest setting and then only adjust the gain for the front speakers? 
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

That's what I would do.  You want the rear speakers to be unnoticeable while they're playing, but you want to notice a difference if they weren't hooked up.  If that makes sense.  Can you adjust the output to the rear speakers in the head unit settings?  Maybe you can lower the output volume for the rear that way?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

I didn't see any options on the HU to do that other than the fade.  I did manage to adjust the gains and it sounds pretty good now.  The front speakers gain knob is turned about 1/4 of the way and the rear is turned about 1/8 the way.  The gain for the sub on the other hand is turned about 3/4 of the way up.  It was still a bit low for my liking so I just upped the sub loudness setting on the HU a bit since I was afraid of turning the gain up any higher.  I guess that's what I get for going with a 5 channel amp instead of getting a dedicated amp for my sub.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:56:27 PM by ikethegreat » Logged
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 20, 2012, 04:44:55 AM »

You can always add a adjustable gain control to up the voltage to your sub on and off to adjust to your liking a bit more

msedacca

Reputation Power: 0
msedacca pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 28, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »

Hey fellow CM'ers!

I've got a question for all of you, hope you can help.

I'm buying my 18 y/o sister a nice Christmas/birthday gift and upgrading her sound system. She has a 09 Accord Sedan 4cyl LX (probably on trim). A few years ago I bought her a head unit and amp, but it's time to upgrade her speakers. The head unit is a run of the mill Alpine and the amp is probably a 300watt Kensington, though I am not 100% sure. I want to upgrade her speakers to something decent, but not over the top. When I did mine years ago I got all Boston Acoustic, but I'm looking to spend about half that. I can get 10% off anything through my old shop.

If you would be so kind, I'm looking for advice on:

Brand, Alpine is good for about $100/120 per pair?
6 1/2 in the front with tweeters?
6 x 9 for the back deck?
No subwoofer

Thanks in advance. It's depressing to look outside at my car and not be able to drive it. Such is life in the big city I suppose.

Sex should be like driving a honda....
slow, obnoxious, and loud enough for everyone to hear.
I'm a huge newb with cars, but I just happen to have a turbo.
turbHO
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 29, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »

Hey fellow CM'ers!

I've got a question for all of you, hope you can help.

I'm buying my 18 y/o sister a nice Christmas/birthday gift and upgrading her sound system. She has a 09 Accord Sedan 4cyl LX (probably on trim). A few years ago I bought her a head unit and amp, but it's time to upgrade her speakers. The head unit is a run of the mill Alpine and the amp is probably a 300watt Kensington, though I am not 100% sure. I want to upgrade her speakers to something decent, but not over the top. When I did mine years ago I got all Boston Acoustic, but I'm looking to spend about half that. I can get 10% off anything through my old shop.

If you would be so kind, I'm looking for advice on:

Brand, Alpine is good for about $100/120 per pair?
6 1/2 in the front with tweeters?
6 x 9 for the back deck?
No subwoofer

Thanks in advance. It's depressing to look outside at my car and not be able to drive it. Such is life in the big city I suppose.
Holy shit!  I haven't seen you post in a while! How have you been?

As for the amplifier you previously purchased?  Is it a 4-channel amp used to power the speakers?  It may help to list either the specific model of amp or, specifically, the RMS of each channel.  This would help with recommending which speakers you should look at getting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:13:04 PM by alpha » Logged

- Mark
06RockHead

Reputation Power: 2
06RockHead pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 18, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »

Since this thread is 36 pages long, and I justly read the first ten, is there much difference between the premium audio for our car that came with nav and the regular audio? I have xm, and 6 disc. If there is a performance difference can the premium speakers be swapped with the originals?
Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:07 PM »

Since this thread is 36 pages long, and I justly read the first ten, is there much difference between the premium audio for our car that came with nav and the regular audio? I have xm, and 6 disc. If there is a performance difference can the premium speakers be swapped with the originals?

Don't waste your time swapping to the "premium"

A S I M O
06RockHead

Reputation Power: 2
06RockHead pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »

Really ? I feel like the stock stereo performs fairly well, I was hoping the premium ones would be an easy improvement though
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012