Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:55:16 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio help. how does hi-lo convertor and 5 channel Amp work?  (Read 6800 times)
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »

I was wondering how does the Hi-Lo convertor work just incase I can't custom a double Din to fit the F90BT.... Then I would just put a stock navi from another accord it. Anyways how does the Hi-Lo convertor work? Is there one that goes for a good price and gets great quality audio? Also for the 5 channel how does the wiring go? Do all the speaker connect to the amp instead of the h/u? Like do I run all the speaker wires to the amp now instead of using the stock wiring?

If you can clear this out for me that would be great. I still need to figure out what I want to do right now..

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

a hi-lo converter works by converting a high voltage sound current (i.e. speaker wire) to a low voltage sound current (i.e. RCA cables). the RCA cables are then connected to your amps unless you have amps with a built in hi-voltage (aka line level) input. if you want to use a 5 channel amp with your stock unit, you'll need a hi-lo converter with a crossover to split either the front or rear channel into a subwoofer or center channel. tim usually recommends the AudioControl LC6. that's probably your best bet.

also keep in mind that in order to keep your stock headunit and have it sound good you'll probably end up spending just a little bit less if not just as much as you would on a nice aftermarket deck.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

Quote from: "thisaznboi88"
I was wondering how does the Hi-Lo convertor work just incase I can't custom a double Din to fit the F90BT.... Then I would just put a stock navi from another accord it. Anyways how does the Hi-Lo convertor work?

A line out converter basically takes a high voltage a/c signal from your speaker outputs and reduces the output to a low voltage a/c signal or "line level" signal.  It's pretty much a resistor or resistor network.  The nicer ones have a variable resistor so you can adjust the output voltage going to your amplifier to match it's input sensitivity.  If you really want to get down to how it actually works, the resistors convert the additional voltage into heat to create a voltage drop.

Is there one that goes for a good price and gets great quality audio? Also for the 5 channel how does the wiring go?

As Philly Steve pointed out, using a quality converter would be best.  I have experience with the AudioControl LC6 and was happy with the sound quality when used with an OEM Accord h/u and high end components.  AudioControl makes a lot of audio processors, and they have been a big name in the industry for many years.  They still make quality products, so as long as you don't skimp, you should be fine with one of their products.  I will say that using a LOC is not ideal if you want a good sounding audio system.

Do all the speaker connect to the amp instead of the h/u?

You connect the speaker level output from the amplifier directly to the speakers.

Like do I run all the speaker wires to the amp now instead of using the stock wiring?

I would suggest that you run new wires from the amplifier to your speakers.  You should be fine with 16 gauge speaker wire.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »

THANKS TIM!!! solved all my question. Now I need to make a part list. Going to take that amp into account and look at the other dude build list for speakers and sub.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »

What amp are you looking at buying?  If you need help with making up a list of everything you need, let me know.  I'd be glad to help you plan your system.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »

thanks for the offer. I was thinking of just getting the amp and customer fiberglass the box to the rear corner myself. But I am still thinking about the deck. If I can't get the double din to work then i would just get a regular deck, with blue tooth , and ipod ready. I was looking at the pioneer, kenwood, sony, alpine, and eclipse. price range for the deck would be 50-200 tops. As for amp and sub 250-350 tops.

I will probably do speaker another time. since I still want to do headers and exhuast also.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »

Ohh.  Well, look at Alpine, Eclipse, and Pioneer.  They make good stuff.

Tim
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:58:58 PM »

I been searching around and from the JL cleansweep for like 120 or less. I was wondering how do I connect the cleansweep to the stock speakers? Or do I have to get aftermarket speakers? If so I need to plan out what I want for the front and rear speakers. *I think my left driver speaker is blown*

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 11:53:10 PM »

Do not re-use the stock speakers.  The JL Audio CleanSweep is for use with an amplifier, which is pointless to connect to OEM speakers.

Tim
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »

i was wondering why are some amp rated at 300w and cost like 200 bucks like the JL one. while some others are rated at 1000W and cost 100 buck?

could someone clear this for me. I was looking at some and couldn't help notice the difference

Philly Steve

Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »

simple explanation: you get what you pay for.
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »

haha yeah... Ill just follow the mod for the oem stereo on gen 7 if he can make then ill probably do the same. I would rather have a full aftermarket system rather then an half ass one.

Thanks for the tips guys.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

You're talking about the guy that's using the OEM HVAC dash panel with a single DIN h/u?  I doubt that will work reliably if it even works at all.  What a fucking waste of time and energy.  I guess nobody has learned from my experience yet.  I guess they know more than I do.

Tim
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »

its not just that I just like the idea of a deck up there. i like my cubby hole. Thats where I keep my gun (JP).... and my other stuff

Philly Steve

Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »

Dude, the OEM stereo is unmodifyable. Your options are doing that for looks and no longer having HVAC controls, using the upper metra kit, using the lower metra kit, or using the honda kit for the cubby. I liked the little cubby too, but i've moved on to a land of better sound and less wasted time. The OEM dash panel mod has been tried multiple times by very skilled people and they have all failed.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012