Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:22:16 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck... need new performance ideas  (Read 14922 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »

So it's been quite a long time since I did any engine upgrades to the Accord, and I'm starting to get that itch again.  I feel like I've hit a wall with bolt-ons, and kinda ran out of ideas.  Was looking for some things to do, as I still have a "to-do" list for the car, but most of it right now pertains to maintenance and brake upgrades.  Below is the list of engine mods I have so far (just copied and pasted from my profile... don't over-criticize some of the items).

ARC high-pressure radiator cap
K&N polished Typhoon Complete Cold Air intake w/ Drycharger filter cover
DC Sports 4-2-1 2-piece ceramic header & generic double-walled flex pipe replacement
Custom A'pexi WS II exhaust w/ 2.25" stainless steel cat-back piping, Magnaflow 18” Magnapack straight-through resonator & generic 12" Turbo Pak high-flow resonator
2004 Acura TSX intake manifold
Power Rev Racing K24 thermal intake manifold gasket
Optima RedTop 75/35-925 high performance battery
A’pexi Super Ground Stabilizer
Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS underdrive pulley kit (crank, power steering & alternator)
NGK premium laser iridium spark plugs
Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic motor oil
Royal Purple Purple Ice radiator coolant additive

Any other ideas?  All I can think of right now that I don’t have is like a throttle body spacer, but I’m not even sure if those do anything useful.  Mind you, the car’s an auto so I’ve never had the intention to do crazy engine builds or involved internal upgrades (unless it’s something fairly straight-forward and beneficial), and I’m not too fond of extended down-time for upgrades because I actually want to enjoy the car this summer.  So, anything I can invest in that I don’t already have??

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »

Forced induction. The easiest one would be nitrous but you'd need tuning, obviously. What do you have in mind?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »

Enjoy it for the summer, save funds for car parts and upgrade during the winter. MT swap maybe? It all depends on your price range and what you actually mean by a "performance" upgrade.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »

K pro? You already have all the bolt ons why not optimize there performance.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »

Realistically, there are only a few options to go from this point. K Pro and cams come to mind. I'd also get rid of the slushbox too.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

Z - Forced induction on my 4-door automatic?  Meh.

Tim - I already have the funds actually, just not the time or technical expertise yet.  As for a MT swap, to be honest, my take on that mod has always been rather than going through all that trouble, I'd rather just buy a car that's got stick off the lot.  As far as cams, that might be possible, but I know you can't just throw those in and call it a day.  So in comes engine management with K-Pro I guess, but see my thoughts below.

Mike - With what little bolt-ons I have, would K-Pro and the price associated with it, including the tuning, really yield that much more power versus the money I'd have to shell out for it?  Prolly not.

Summary - I know, I shot down all your ideas.  I'm a dick.  Feel free to critique.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »

Dick.

Honestly, what we have under our hoods, except for Tim who has nothing under his hood Cheesy, is crap. Were I in your position, the two options I'd be looking at are:
1)MT swap and hang a snail off the back. Surprisingly, our stock long blocks hold up rather well to some boost.
2)Full TSX swap. Honda reliability plus guys are pulling some decent numbers out of a stock K24A2.

Number 1 is my personal favorite as that is what I have in mind for later. Besides, like you said, FI on an autotragic is meh. You're absolutely right. It is. Either one of the two options I laid out obviously require K Pro to run them but you already knew that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:47:23 AM by CrackerTeg » Logged

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »

My point is this... Any mods your going to make going forward are going to require tuning so why not make your next mod a tuning solution.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:53 AM »

Mike, take a look at my revised post.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »

After my post... Biter!
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »

Dave, the reality is that with your AT you're just not going to want to make big power. What Z said is true to a point. Our stock motors can handle a good amount of boost, but eventually oil is going to get past your rings. I've found that TSX blocks to be a bit better anyway. I even know a guy that's selling a TSX long block and transmission that I could pick up for you.

Mike is right though. If you're going to do anything else, get kpro. You may want to contact Nikos at SVM and see if he's making cams for the econo VTEC motors. I know he's already making 3 lobe VTEC cams and single lobe and dual love VTEC killer cams.

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

After my post... Biter!
Nope. I was in the process of editing when you posted.

striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »

Z, don't you already have a manual?

If cams and tuning might make sense as a next step, than I need to do more research because I only vaguely understand what cams do and what the risks vs. rewards are for that upgrade.

Thanks Mike for the tips too.

And Tim, killer cams?

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »

I do. That's why I have a slight advantage towards that first option. Were I in your shoes, I'd choose the first option. Mmmmm, boost.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »

Boost is something I would not choose for a higher mileage motor. After I put the sc on my original motor, it was spitting oil out the tail pipe. I have also seen the exact same thing happen on another high mileage Accord that has been boosted. Yes, boost will make power, but the Life of the motor will be drastically reduced.

Dave, VTEC killer cams basically get rid of the low speed (economy) VTEC love on the camshaft. Basically, VTEC is always kicked in yo. It isn't something I would suggest. The reason why I brought it up is because he does custom cams for K Series motors.

If you want to learn more about what cams do, hit me up. I'd be glad to explain. If you want kpro without a dual ecu harness, let me know. I can help you out with that set up too.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012