Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:28:12 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever do a front end overhaul?  (Read 14386 times)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »

Has anyone ever done a front end overhaul on there Accord? My car has just broken 100,000 miles, and I'm wondering if it's worth tearing the front end apart and replacing all the parts?

The reason this popped into my head is that working at my part time job I spoke to a guy Sunday with an 03 4cyl sedan, and he was in to buy a replacement upper ball joint. I started up a conversation because he was a fellow Accord owner, and found out that one ball joint was severely worn (had it with him, and it was loose as hell), and that the other one had completely disconnected from wear, and the wheel folded up under the car on an on ramp. Obviously the issue probably presented itself long ago, and this guy chose to ignore it but, what is the life expectancy on these parts? I mean the OEM ones have no grease fittings, and parts tend to wear when there is not longer sufficient lubrication? Is it worth replacing all of my ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings at 100K?

gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »

For spending a lot of time in here, I must say that I know very little about cars, but preventive maintenance is always something that I like to do on my own.  Even if I don't do a lot of the modifications that I would like to have done to my car.  That being said, I'm very intrigued by the future responses to this topic. 

Thanks for posting this Mike.   

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »

Preventative maintenance is great but I'm a firm believer in not fixing what isn't broken.  Like you said Mike, this guy obviously had a problem that he ignored and it came back and bit him in the ass.  I think overhauling your front end would be a waste of money if it isn't needed.  I wouldn't let his lack of common sense worry you into spending money unnecessarily. 
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »

Well in my case the steering isn't as tight as it used to be.
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »

Well in my case the steering isn't as tight as it used to be.

Almost at a 100k i had a almost broken front tie rod which i was lucky to fix in time , that was throwing my steering off.

alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Those parts are definitely worth an inspection, and if you feel its something you would like to take care of now, then I say go for it.

- Mark
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Like Ike said, if it ain't broke, don't fuck with it. That guy may have just been neglectful as hell.
Good point by Mark. It definitely warrants an inspection but if you don't see anything torn or broken, don't worry about it too much.

The steering may feel a bit sloppy compared to new but that is to be expected with a car that age (mileage). Then again, you may have gotten used to how smooth the steering is and started "noticing how sloppy it got" thanks to the guy that came in.

That being said, give your front end a once over then go from there.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »

It is part of the regular scheduled maintenance to check for damage and to grease components like ball joints. I can look in the service manual for you to see what is suggested for replacement.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

proper inspection would pick it up. here in pa we have to do it every year and my friend who works at honda knows whats usually goes wrong or wears and and checked my car last. complian bushings is something to look for as well. im at 112k and need to replace them in spring. ill check ball joins too i guess

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

Upper ball joints are difficult to inspect because they are under load when in the knuckle.
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »

I had to replace my upper ball joints just recently. Didn't know it was going until it started making noise. I got them to replace both to be on the safe side.

I've almost replaced all the front end components :p, since I can get them at a discount. I've already got the uppers done and both inner and outer tie-rods (one inner went bad last year so I got them all done turns out they were all pretty worn after 150k and bad roads) I got new compliance bushings (poly-filled) to go in come springtime.

How are the bearings in our cars? I don't really hear of many people replacing them.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »

I had to have a rear one replaced after my accidnet a few years back. But, it was due to the impact not a wear issue. What did you use when you replaced the uppers? Did you replace the whole control arm or just the ball joints?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »

I had to replace my rear wheel bearing a few years ago because of an accident too.  Austin, where did you get the poly filled compliance bushings.  I'm trying to  do a few upgrades down the road for the new motor.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

Mike- I just bought the ball joints, they were Moog units if I remember correctly.

Tim- I just bought some Moog bushings and packed them full of windshield poly.

I just had an odd idea,sorry if this is slightly derailing... this could be totally ridiculous, but what about using a shaved down (top, bottom, also making the total diameter smaller to fit the outer sleeve...or find/make your own sleeve) hockey puck for mounts? Either for control arm or motor mounts? Drill a hole for the inner sleeve, friction fit in the outer and inner sleeve with structural epoxy, and big steel washers on either side. It would deffinatley take the slop out. I know 4x4 guys use them a lot for body lifts.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

My listings show the Moog Upper control arms with ball joints being cheaper than the Moog ball joints.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012