Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:43:25 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifier Fan?  (Read 9821 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »

I've noticed that my Amp overheats and shuts off if I listen to my stereo for longer than an hour.  It doesn't matter if it is 90 degrees outside or 40 degrees, it almost always overheats. 

Normally this doesn't really matter since I usually don't drive longer than that but I have a couple long-distance car trips planned and I don't want my stereo crapping out before I get there. 

So I was looking into cooling options and came across http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1331967/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Not sure if it is any good or if there are better options out there.  Any thoughts?  Also, what would be the best way to wire it up?  Wiring electronics isn't my forte. 

Thanks!
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »

how is the amp mounted?

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »

Better question would be, how is the amp wired?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »

The amp is mounted on carpeted particle board on the back of the rear seat along with my capacitor and RF 3sixty.1.   

As for how it is wired, I'm not really sure since I had an audio shop hook everything up for me.  As I said, I'm not very good with wiring. 

I do know it's a 5-channel amp and is amping all 4 speakers and my sub.   
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »

Last time I had an amp overheat on me was when the amp wasn't wired correctly. For example, you wire up 4 ohm speakers to an amp that only works at 2 ohms which causes an impedance mismatch. Without knowing EXACTLY how your system is wired, its difficult to troubleshoot over the intarwebz.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

+1 to the wiring setup and also take into account that your amp is pushing your interior speakers as well ass your subs... (over working it?) A fan would'nt actually be bad. Especially if that subs pump from the bass the amp is being worked to it's RMS output wherever you have it leveled to.

...I was thinking about doing this when I installed by amp but I got through the hot months with no problems so I 86'd that idea  Cheesy

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »

Wait a minute.  I swear I fucking posted in here.  David and Z are both right.  Check the amp's owners manual to make sure it's mounted properly.  That position could cause it to overheat depending on the amp you're using.  Wiring can also cause it based on what Z posted, which is pretty much the same thing that I said in my missing post.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:09 AM »

I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if I can make heads or tails of the wiring.  Thanks
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »

I found this in the manual about mounting:

Mounting: Choose a structurally sound location to mount your Kicker amplifier. The controls on the
top of the amplifier need to be accessible for adjustment. Make sure there are no items behind the area
where the screws will be driven. Choose a location that allows at least 4” (10cm) of open ventilation for
the amplifier. If possible, mount the amplifier in the climate-controlled passenger compartment. Drill four
holes using a 7/64” (3mm) bit and use the supplied #8 screws to mount the amplifier.

Doesn't say anything about not mounting it vertically so I think I'm good there.  

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2006%20ZX%20550-3%20700-5%20Multilingual%20a01.pdf
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:27:49 AM by ikethegreat » Logged
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »

Ok guys I'm confused.  I mounted the fan and tried wiring it to my amp.  I connected the ground wire to the amp's ground connector and the power wire to the amps power connector.  The fan started running even with the car/amp turned off.  I moved the power wire to the Remote Turn On connector and it still ran even with the car/amp off.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it because I have a cap?

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »

Actually, you shouldn't wire it to the amp in either configuration.  You really should be using a relay.  You would run ground to the fan ground 85, the remote trigger to 86, 12v power to 87, and fan power to 30.  Make sense?

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »

If I understand you correctly, this is how it should be wired up right?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »

Very close.  Terminal 85 also needs to be grounded to the chassis, or you could run it to the amplifier ground.

Tim
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

So terminal 85 and the negative wire on the fan can both be ran to the amp ground? 

Thanks for your help Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012