Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:36:02 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are my brake pads missing something?  (Read 7965 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »

So my new EBC Ultimax rotors and Greenstuff pads came in today.  While inspecting the products, I noticed that only 1 of the 4 brake pads came with the metal bracket thing (sorry, don't know the technical term).  I'm under the impression that 2 of the 4 brake pads should come with these things, not just one.  Did I get a defective product/wrong pad from EBC, or is the piece not required?  See the pic below for what I'm talking about (the bottom pad has the bracket on the left side):

accordguy04

Creeper

accordguy04 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

Hmm... I think so.  Yeah, 2 should have the bracket on them... not sure if its required or not...

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »

Pretty sure it should be there....
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »

Kinda hard to tell from the pic Dave.  You may want to show both sides of all 4 pads.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »

That metal clip is the wear indicator.  EBC is expecting that you will change both sides when its time to change pads again, so that's probably why they didn't put one on both sides.

- Mark
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »

Like Mark said. Everytime I do brakes at work, some of pads come with both pad wear indicator some only come one. The wear indicator should be upwards and on the inside where the caliper piston comes contact with. Majority of the time the inboard pad wears out first.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »

Tim - Even if I flip the pads over, what you see in the pic is what you get.  The only pad with the bracket on it is the bottom one.  The very top pad has these "notches" on the sides just like the bottom one does, and the 2 in the middle do not.  So, I'm thinking that the top pad shoulda have a bracket installed on it too, but it doesn't.

Alpha / Thien - OK, so it's a wear indicator.  I was actually thinking the same thing that you are... that they only put one on because your pads should wear evenly, and you change them in the future at the same time.  It's definately possible.  I might try to e-mail them just to confirm this though.

Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »

My EBC pads also only came with one wear indicator

See the one in the box has it and it's partner laying flat on the table does not your good
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »

Enjoy the terrible smell and smoke as the break-in coating wears off while you break them in!  Don't drive with your windows down like I did.   Embarrassed
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:22:06 AM »

Ohhh.  That sounds awful.  I don't remember if I had my windows down or not when I bedded in my Yellow Stuff pads.

Dave, it looks like Rushzer0 confirmed that you got what you were supposed to.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation on the pads Rushzer0.  Now I feel more confident that they're not defective or something.  Now, I'd like to know if there's any way to paint the backings of these pads since that disgusting lime green color showing through my calipers and wheels is not gonna go with my color scheme at all!  Any suggestions?

Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »

I used a high heat primer, paint and clear spray bomb and painted my calipers and pads ricer red after carefully masking off everything (like took me a long time to mask everything because you don't want paint on the rubbers or piston or friction surface) shitty picture of afterwards
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »

Rushzer0 - Well you painted part of your brake pads AND your calipers.  My calipers are actually already painted (well actually, powdercoated, yeeahh boouii).  So, I just have to do the pads, which shouldn't be too hard.  I just hate the lime green color that they are, so it's gotta go.  What rotors are you using too?  They look good.

Also, the direct response from EBC regarding my original question:

"David,
Yes, this is normal. Many of the manufacturers are going to one wear indicator. All pads should be wearing at the same rate, therefore only needing one sensor. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you."

So, my pads are normal.  All is well.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »

I feel like that's kind of stupid why would you manufacture something based on what it supposed to do. Say you have a caliper issue on one side and that pad wears faster...
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:07 AM »

Say you have a caliper issue on one side and that pad wears faster...
This.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012