Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:17:36 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Fluid Flush  (Read 12424 times)
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »

Does anybody know of a "How To" on this?  Preferably with pictures.  I can't seem to find on anywhere.

Thanks!

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »

Suck it out of the master cylinder with a vaccum pump. Fill the master cylinder and bleed the brakes until you have clean fluid at all four wheels. Start at the most distant wheel from the master cylinder, and follow the normal bleeding procedure
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

There is actually a bleed sequence on newer Hondas. It actually goes LF, RF, RR, LR.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »

What Mike said, with Thien's sequence.  I found it odd too, but the Honda service manual says to start at the line closest to the master cylinder, and work your way to the furthest line from the master cylinder.  I'll double check again on Sunday when I get back to MA.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:52:44 AM by CrackerTeg » Logged

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:42 AM »

Hmmm.... That is a bit odd, but follow thats mans directions! He knows his shit!
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »

That is an odd sequence. It used to be the reverse. BTW Tim, I fixed who's sequence you mentioned.  Wink

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Jebus Crise!  I'm slipping.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »

Pretty dirty slip too.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have some questions.

As far as using the vacuum pump that Mike said, I could rent these at Advance Auto or Autozone, right? Would I have to vacuum every bit out from the master cylinder?

I was planning on using a turkey baster to suck out as much as I could out of the master cylinder, then top it off with the new fluid, and then go around to each wheel and start bleeding. Is it absolutely necessary to have the hose going from the bleeder valve into a bottle that has some new brake fluid in it? It seems kind of like a waste to me. I know it's so that air doesn't get sucked back through, but I figured any kind of liquid would work, even water.

Which way would be easier to do?

Also, how safe is it to have the car on four jack stands? I'm still a little afraid of the idea, but having to take the front wheels off, bleed the brakes, put them back on, then do the same to the rear will get kind of old. I don't want my car to slide off the jacks when I'm trying to put the rest on or something. That would suck bigtime.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:25:26 AM by Jeff » Logged

alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »

I do what you were planning to do.  I use a turkey baster to take out old fluid from the master cylinder, fill the master cylinder with new fluid, and start bleeding.  I monitor the master cylinder to make sure the fluid level does not drop below the minimum line to avoid letting air in the system.  I continue to do this until all 4 brake lines are filled with only new fluid.

As for the brake fluid into your  bleeder bottle, you could use old fluid too.. just dump the old fluid in your turkey baster into the bottle.

But honestly, I don't keep leftover brake fluid.  Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so if i have leftover fluid, i typically get rid of the rest.  It's not like I'll be using an open bottle of brake fluid the next time I bleed my brakes.

- Mark
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »

You can use the vaccum pump to bleed your brakes also. I think I bought my vaccum pump at harbor freight for like $8.... Your car will be fine on four jack stands as long as they are at the right spots.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »

Alright thanks for the info. As far as right spots go for jack stands, I was thinking of the four points under the rocker panels (right behind the front tires, and right in front of the rear tires). Is that going to be okay?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »

It will be okay but, its even safer to put them on the sub frame(for lack of a better term). Basically just look for solid metal and put them there. It's tough to describe.
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »

I put the jack stands on the sub frame just because the jack stub are occupied by the jack

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »

I usually jack up the front of the car at the tow hooks, so I can put the jack stands at jack points by the rocker panels.  In the back, I jack it up on the sub frame.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012