Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:39:04 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock Cam  (Read 12385 times)
tennis
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
tennis pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:47:41 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone knew the lift on the stock cams, and what the max lift that the stock valve springs can handle.. Please and Thank you
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »

Part#      Adv. Dur.      Dur @ .050      Lift (in)      Lift (mm)
Stock   270°/276°   181°/173°   .372"/.383"   9.45/9.73

From here http://braincrower.com/makes/honda/k20a3k24a.shtml

hopefully its accurate

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »

Damn. Interesting first post. Welcome to ECM. Hopefully what Ken gave you is sufficient.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »

What about the stock valve springs? What is the max lift they can handle? (oh and aznboi, its aakash off of gen7)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to achieve here?  Are you planning on running aftermarket cams?  Usually, when you buy aftermarket cams, they recommend if you need to upgrade your valvesprings and retainers.  Another question you really should be asking, is what the stock timing chain tensioner can handle.  There has been a lot of failure of OEM timing chain tensioners with aggressive cam profiles.  That's why there are aftermarket solutions from Skunk2, Hybrid Racing, and Toda.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »

sorry i probably should have explained a bit more. its 11:35 here and im going to sleep but here is what i had posted on gen7.. the reason is that im starting to think that the installer did something wrong...and this shouldnt have happened.

http://www.gen7accord.net/forum/topics/bad-news?xg_source=activity
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:46:12 AM »

Yeah I remember that post stage 1 s2 cams n ur k24a8 blew. Installer decided to crank motor before checking clearance by hand cranking the motor. The blaming oem spring or something

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
fatbastard

Reputation Power: 7
fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »

did valve and piston make contact?  Huh?

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »

yah... im gonna go and try to get the motor in the next week... got a snow day today, time to drift!!   Flippa!... i think ill take it to a honda certified show and have them take a look
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:16 AM »

is it merely a valve clearance issue or you think something else went wrong?

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »

to be honest i dont know, which is y i want to take it to a honda certified shop... being honest i really am "a fucking newb"
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »

interested to know the cause of the trouble as my S2 cam order is due to arrive within the month...

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »

ive heard of other people that have had success with that cam... im doin this so i can find out if they guy owes me 500 for the motor install, but ill try and find out for u
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »

After reading your thread, it could be practically anything.  There is no reason why the Skunk2 Stage 1 cams would cause this to happen if installed properly.  If they were a set of Stage 2 or Stage 3 cams, you must replace the valvesprings.  There are quite a few people that have run Stage 1 cams with OEM valvesprings without issue.

My best guess is that the installer fucked up.  If they didn't check the timing before you cranked the motor, then that's your problem.  You may want to check and see if the guy has insurance so you can recoup some losses.  It sounds like they cut corners and ended up fucking things up.  If they said that you "bent" a valvespring, they don't know what they're talking about.  I don't trust any mechanic that guesses what the problem is without taking the motor apart to investigate the problem.

If you haven't taken a closer look at the motor, it could be practically anything.  Even a damaged sensor would cause your motor to not start.  I ended up putting the VSS back on my tranny without the proper spacer.  The tranny ended up destroying the sensor, causing an open for the VSS and all the associated sensor attached.  At that point, my car wouldn't start no matter what.  When I replaced the sensor, it fixed everything.  It just sucks that it took Paul and I a half a day to figure it out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:52:37 AM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »

Ok.... so i just talked to the guy that did the install on the cams... First he said there was piston to valve contact, and that the coil springs coilbound. 2nd he said if the paper that came with the cams said "Valve train upgrade is recommended" not "required" then the cams that i was sent were not stage 1 cams.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012