Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:32:48 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about HID's  (Read 6393 times)
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »

Why is it that cars like the second generation TL and the Subaru STI come from the factory with stock HID's with no projectors and an accurate cut-off on the lights?  Is it because of the interior reflector design? 

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »

Yes sir.

There are some cars that have their reflectors designed to work with HIDs.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

I'm with Stupid
Those cars also use D2R bulbs which are HID bulbs used in reflector housings as opposed to D2S bulbs used in projectors like mine.

HIDPlanet is your friend!

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »

It has to do with the design of the reflector housing.  The Inspire headlights are reflector based HID housings and they use a D2S.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
k24low20z

Reputation Power: 6
k24low20z pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »

Yes, like tim and z are sayin.. Those reflector housings were made to house hid bulbs not like other halogen head lights that are made to only use halogens in them, so when you use hid on them you get too much glare because the bulb is not  for that type of reflector.. Best way to do it is save some $$$ for a kick ass retro..

gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »

Guess it's best if I save up for those inspires then, huh.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »

That's what I did. Wink

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »

From what I understand, those don't have all that great an output. They are also for RHD vehicles so the cutoff is wrong. Sure, they look sexy but that's about it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »

I understood that they can be adjusted for left or right, am I wrong?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »

Z Bag is right.  The output of reflector based HID's doesn't compare to the output of projector based HID's.  The flare being opposite to a LHD vehicle is something that most people have reported not being a problem.  They cannot be "adjusted" as you were told Nelson.  Whoever told you that is a motherfucking moron.  There is a guy from back in the day that modified his Inspires so the cutoff was flat.  If you're okay with opening up your $700 headlights and taking a dremel to them, then it's not a big deal to do.  

There hasn't been anybody that has retrofitted them yet, but I think a smaller projector may fit in the high beam reflector.

By the way, they do look sexy as hell in person.  Especially at night.  Fashion over function!!   Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:32:17 AM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »

Thank you Tim.  

Edit:  Even though Inspire's are not as effective as projectors, they're still better than just popping in HID's inside of our OEM headlights, correct?  So, I take it, it's like the middle ground.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:15:34 AM by gargantula99 » Logged

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »

Its more than a middle ground...

For asthetics its the best option, and for output its improved over stock.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:57 AM »

I'm still not a fan of popping headlights from a RHD vehicle onto a LHD vehicle due to the cutoff being wrong and the customary flare going into the wrong direction, blinding oncoming drivers in the process just like PnP HIDs in our halogen reflectors. If I could afford it, I'd pick up a set of Inspires, retro a set of S2K projectors in the low beam with a vacuum form shroud and leave the high beam alone.

Fashion AND function bitches! Booyah!

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

I disagree with you. Having read alot about both setups if aimed slightly low I don't think that the cut off is an issue.
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »

I disagree with you. Having read alot about both setups if aimed slightly low I don't think that the cut off is an issue.
werd.  After I adjusted my Inspires, the lighting output was fantastic.  It looked great, and people didn't really high beam me after I aimed the left side slightly lower.  Granted the cutoff did flare left, but it wasn't too bad.

- Mark
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012