Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:23:24 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake squeal solution help  (Read 7210 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »

Been running my front Brembro blanks with Hawk HPS pads setup for over 2 1/2 years and have had pretty persistent break squeal, but it doesn't happen when I brake lightly or heavily, only moderately.  I had my mechanic cake some messy red anti-squeal goo behind the pads before the winter rolled in, and it helped for like 2 months before the noise came back again.  Anyone have any recommendations on another tactic to use?  My mechanic suggested that the "metal parts" on the calipers that the pads slide into can eventually wear down and cause rubbing and squealing, but I know nothing about this.  Maybe order new "metal parts" (can't remember the official name... shims?), or just blame it on it being an afermarket, noisy setup?  Help.

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »

I blame it on the Hawk pads. I have the saem setup, and I get the occasional squeek. I blame it to the Hawk pads emitting off a lot of brake dust. First, I would put anti seize behind the pads. Second, I would lube the slide pins. I plan on resurfacing my rotors and deburring my pads to maybe help with the squeek. If all else fails, I'm getting new pads. I hate the squeek, and it annoys the crap out of me. The hardware itself will not cause your brakes to squeek. They are there to help the brake pads slide, and to keep it stationary.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »

+1 on the Hawk pads.  I had the same squeal with my Hawk pads.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »

I've been running the hawk pads front and rear for a year + and don't have this issue at all.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »

So it might possibly just be the composition of the pads... greeatttt.

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
I blame it on the Hawk pads. I have the saem setup, and I get the occasional squeek. I blame it to the Hawk pads emitting off a lot of brake dust. First, I would put anti seize behind the pads. Second, I would lube the slide pins. I plan on resurfacing my rotors and deburring my pads to maybe help with the squeek. If all else fails, I'm getting new pads. I hate the squeek, and it annoys the crap out of me. The hardware itself will not cause your brakes to squeek. They are there to help the brake pads slide, and to keep it stationary.

Thanks for the tips Thien.  So do you mean put more of the anti-squeal behind the pads (exactly what my mechanic did but it only helped for two months), or actual grey anti-seize that you'd typically use for bolt threads and stuff?  I might need to have my rotors rotated or resurfaced as well, as I'm getting some shudder again.  How do you "debur" pads exactly?

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:41:28 PM »

Quote from: "striktlyaccord"
So it might possibly just be the composition of the pads... greeatttt.

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"

Thanks for the tips Thien.  So do you mean put more of the anti-squeal behind the pads (exactly what my mechanic did but it only helped for two months), or actual grey anti-seize that you'd typically use for bolt threads and stuff?  I might need to have my rotors rotated or resurfaced as well, as I'm getting some shudder again.  How do you "debur" pads exactly?

I usually put the grey anti "seize". It works great, and I use it on all the cars I work on. I rarely have comebacks when doing that. If you are getting a shudder, I highly suggest resurfacing them if there is room to resurface. As for deburring the pads, I usually just use the flat part of a concrete floor and just put a little force and rub the pad back and forth.
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »

I have used that red shit that is for brakes, it has worked since I did my GS caliper and Coupe bracket/rotor upgrade, which is like 6+ months now.  they just started to sqweek (htf do you spell that?!) again.  I am going to him them with some brake cleaner and re-apply the red schtuff.

Thien, any particular brand anti-sieze?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »

No particular brand. All anti seize are the same.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »

Thanks for all the info Thien.  I shouldn't have a problem resurfacing the rotors if they really need it since they've never been resurfaced before.

sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »

I think pepboys does it for 10-15 $

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

Pep Boys... "does everything for less" lol.

striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »

When I cleaned up my brakes and wheel wells last week, I used some brake cleaner on the brake components, and the squeal stopped for like... 15 miles, then came back.  Joy.

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Did you use brake cleaner on the rotors and pads? If so, thats why. Do not use brake cleaner on rotors or pads.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »

That's so confusing.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »

yeah, why not Thien?  I was going to do that this weekend...

Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012