Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:36:10 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: k24a4 catalytic converter  (Read 9283 times)
implayaz9
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
implayaz9 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »

the mechanic showed it to me from the inside of the cat.. I am not quite sure how does a cat look from inside but I did see a cracl in the inisde part of the cat
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:08 AM »

I'm not sure how Cali inspection works. Is it leaking/making abnormal nosie? Do you have a CEL?
implayaz9
Fucking Newb

implayaz9 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »

I will let u know. I havent driven the car in couple of days as my motor is blown.. once it up and running I will see how it feels..

when the cat is broklen what happens?.. makes weird noise or more smoke from the exhaust?.. what are the symtoms of a cat being broken?
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

I had one that the material inside was broken up years ago, and it made a rattling sound. I'm not familiar with what honda uses on k series.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »

I'm running the Magnaflow direct fit.  it was cheap, but not Cali smog legal.  they may have one that is Cali legal, you'll have to check.
implayaz9
Fucking Newb

implayaz9 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 10:40:03 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I had one that the material inside was broken up years ago, and it made a rattling sound. I'm not familiar with what honda uses on k series.

Yea see I am looking at mine and seems like the material inside of it is broken.. I guess I will see once I start driving hope it effects it..
AccordProtector
Fucking Newb

AccordProtector pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »

This is a problem for California folks only. In 2009 california passed new legislation concerning catalytic converters. Previous legislation stated, more or less, that a universal cat could be used if it matched engine size and vehicle gross weight, and many options were available. New legislation says that cats must meet oem standards and are mostly car specific. It also stated that exhaust shops cannot straight pipe your car or put a non-oem cat on your vehicle or the are subject to a minimum fine of $5000 and may lose their business license. That being said, all other 49 states can use a universal cat or can straight pipe if desired. I've spoken with both catco and magnaflow and are both working on new applications for all california cars, from what I gather any new car will carry something like a CARB OE number. But all of us in california have 3 options: 1)buy an oem cat from honda directly and spend $500 2)wait for catco or magnaflow to make our specific cat 3) clear out the cat until you can either do 1 or 2. If you have to pass smog immediately to register, you don't really have much of an option but to get a new cat right away.

Having been in a similar situation recently I decided to take matters into my own hands. I recently had a cat clog on me which in turn threw off my timing. Luckily this was after passing smog 2 weeks earlier by only 2PPM. One day my car wouldn't start due to too much back pressure because of the clogged cat, I preceded to jack up the car to get under it and chop off the cat to take a look. The inside of a cat should have some visibility due to the honeycomb but mine was black and completely solid. My solution? I took some rebar and hammered through all the honeycomb to clear it out and more or less make it a straight pipe.  I then welded my "cat" back up. Some don't have the option to weld it themselves but there are many people who weld out of their homes on the side(check craigslist or ask around). Car runs smooth but slightly louder. This will buy one time until you can save up for an expensive cat or a magnaflow. I've given myself almost a 2year window to purchase a new cat. Having been through all of this I am very well informed about catalytic converters in california and other states, this was an ongoing research project for a few weeks so I could get my car fixed and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I'll also post links to the legislation and smog laws when I get some free time.
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012