Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:32 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Drain and Fill Your Radiator  (Read 28336 times)
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »

Should we be using "Honda Only" or can I get some AntiFreeze from AutoZone...? I gotta do mine, im running almost to Minimum!

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »

Ya Billy, Honda only. It's not expensive at the dealer. I think like 11 bucks a bottle. I would have to double check my invoice. You're also gonna need two bottles if your gonna do a drain and fill I believe.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »

Quote from: "CrazyCreashunz"
Should we be using "Honda Only" or can I get some AntiFreeze from AutoZone...? I gotta do mine, im running almost to Minimum!

I recommend using honda. There only a few things that I will not use from honda since the other stuff is better. But yeah get the antifreeze from honda. I need to flush my soon. The previous only used some blue crap. I didn't even know that antifreeze/coolent comes in blue. I though they came in highlighter green/yellow or red such as the redline water wetter.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 01:47:48 AM »

New Honda coolant is blue just to let you know Ken. Older Honda uses green.
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 03:44:26 AM »

thanks Thien. Yeah I was like why is my shit blue? lol I like 3 of those gallon since my uncle works at honda and he just gave them to me. I also have differential fluid for my mom MDX and auto tranney fluid.

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
Ya Billy, Honda only. It's not expensive at the dealer. I think like 11 bucks a bottle. I would have to double check my invoice. You're also gonna need two bottles if your gonna do a drain and fill I believe.

Kool, just making sure! I will be doing this next week... thanks

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

Why you should use Honda/Acura only AntiFreeze: Guess this answers those why should I use it questions....

Genuine Honda Coolant is the Only Way to Go

Increasingly severe operating conditions and the advent of lower maintenance requirements have resulted in significant changes in the variety and the concentration of additives used in engine coolant. Also, the continual improvements in engine and vehicle design have challenged coolant suppliers to design products that perform well in a more demanding environment.

To meet these needs, Honda engineers have developed a superior, high-quality coolant that has several advantages over the competition.

Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

- - Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage. In actual tests, the silicated coolant caused early leakage. This leakage increased dramatically until a substantial portion of the coolant had been lost. In contrast, the Honda coolant had almost no leakage through the duration of the test.

Chart here, entitled "Coolant Leakage from Water Pump Seal", showing Leaked Coolant Volume in ml as follows for each test duration in Hours:

24 hrs: Honda Coolant 0, Typical Silicated Coolant 21
48 hrs: Honda Coolant 1, Typical Silicated Coolant 36
72 hrs: Honda Coolant 2, Typical Silicated Coolant 47
96 hrs: Honda Coolant 2, Typical Silicated Coolant 55
120 hrs: Honda Coolant 2.5, Typical Silicated Coolant 56
144 hrs: Honda Coolant 3.5, Typical Silicated Coolant 57
168 hrs: Honda Coolant 4, Typical Silicated Coolant 58.8
192 hrs: Honda Coolant 6, Typical Silicated Coolant 63
200 hrs: Honda Coolant 6, Typical Silicated Coolant 64

- - Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating.

- - Borates cause pitting corrosion on the cylinder head.

- - Silicate inhibitors are difficult to stabilize and, therefore, limit coolant shelf life.

Most commercially available coolants were originally designed for cast iron engines. Silicate, an inexpensive additive, was added to coolants to prevent aluminum corrosion, but the long-term durability of the combination was not tested.

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages:

- - No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minimal wear.

[graphs here, showing roughness across the surface, with A a very wiggly line, and B a very smooth line]

- - No plugging or overheating caused by silicate gelling.

- - Excellent corrosion protection for aluminum components.

- - Long-term corrosion protection for other cooling system materials (steel, cast iron, copper, solder, gaskets, seals, and O-rings).

You can find less expensive coolants on the market, but now you can see why genuine Honda coolant is the only coolant approved for Honda and Acura vehicles (it MUST be used for warranty repairs). Honda's non-silicate formula delivers added protection not offered by 95 percent of other brands. Since our customers expect lower maintenance, you're doing them an injustice if you use any other coolant.

thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »

very nice. Just wondering what is the difference between the old honda coolent/anti freeze vs the new one besides the color? I have 2 gallons of the old green one still in my garage but my other accord use the blue one? Can I mix it?

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »

Quote from: "thisaznboi88"
very nice. Just wondering what is the difference between the old honda coolent/anti freeze vs the new one besides the color? I have 2 gallons of the old green one still in my garage but my other accord use the blue one? Can I mix it?

The big difference is the green coolant is made to be used until about 60k miles, the new blue coolant that Honda puts in all their cars now lasts about 100k miles. As long as they completely flushed your system your fine. I wouldn't mix the 2 though just to be on the safe side. Since Honda uses blue coolant now I would recommend to use it only!

Also the blue coolant is 50/50 as apposed to the green coolant...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:13:44 PM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »

alright thanks. I think the car was flush last year. Not 100% sure. I don't have the record of what was done on the car besides the rear brake pads done at the dealership.

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »

Quote from: "thisaznboi88"
alright thanks. I think the car was flush last year. Not 100% sure. I don't have the record of what was done on the car besides the rear brake pads done at the dealership.

Edited:

Also the blue coolant is 50/50 as apposed to the green coolant....

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »

Pics added for better visualization.
status

GOMD

Reputation Power: 14
status pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »

pretty simple to do. im really glad when i went to honda to buy 2 gallons of the coolant he said ill only need one.  mad i said no i think i need two. he said nope. so now i need a 2nd gallon and the parts department is closed tomorrow. mad mad fucking bastard

-Alec
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »

Should've listened to the guys here that already did it. Never listen to parts guys. They don't know shit.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »

^This.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012