Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:43:58 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Drain and Fill Your Radiator  (Read 28484 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »

Having recently drained and filled my radiator, I thought it would be a good time to do a write-up!

Items needed:

10mm wrench
Disposable gloves (highly recommended)
Lots of towels
Honda Long Life Type 2 Antifreeze/Coolant  (You can get this at your dealership.  I recommend printing out handaaccessories.com's price on the coolant so that your dealership can price-match like mine does)

Drain Pan preferably like the one pictured to make disposing of the coolant easier.  Don't be cheap either, the bigger the pan the better.

Get in the car, turn the key to the "ON" position but don't start the car.  Turn the heat on the hottest settings.

If you can fit the drain pan under your radiator without raising your car, you're golden.  That pan wouldn't fit under my car so I had to use the factory jack to raise the front a little.  

This is not necessary, but I recommend that you wear some disposable gloves like the ones they use at the doctor's office.  Once the car is raised with the drain pan under the radiator, open the radiator cap.  Be careful, have some towels around it because some fluid will leak out.  

Once the cap is off, look at the bottom of the radiator and in the very center you will notice a white plastic wingnut.  Unscrew it with your hands, it is easier to do this from up top then from the ground, and not to mention safer!

Now you have some options.  Unscrew the bolt a little and let the coolant drain slowly but in a controlled fashion.  I chose to remove the bolt altogether.  The coolant will gush out and spray all over the cross-member, the bottom of the front of the bumper and just get everywhere.  The coolant will leak out of various places and get all over your driveway so I recommend just letting it drain slowly unless your garage is sealed and easily cleaned.  

Even with the bolt removed as I had, it takes quite a bit of time for the fluid to drain completely.  You can help it along a little by squeezing the lower hose a little especially when it's getting to the part where it just drips out.  

Once all the fluid is drained, clean off the plastic wingnut, insert it back into the radiator, and hand tighten it.  

With a 10mm wrench, unbolt the single bolt holding the reservoir jug in place.  Unscrew the cap, pull out the long hose, and slide out the reservoir tank.  Drain it with the rest of the coolant.  You may want to clean out the exterior of the reservoir tank if you're a neat freak like me.  You can also wash out the tank with some tap water to get all of the old coolant out of it.  

Slide the reservoir tank back and tighten it back up.  Clean off the rubber hose and insert it back into the tank.  

With a proper funnel, fill the radiator all the way up and follow the instructions in the manual how to properly bleed out the system.  

If you're going to be using a drain pan like the one pictured above, getting rid of the old coolant will be a lot easier.  You will use at least an entire gallon of fluid so save the container and drain the old coolant into it.  You will need another container so that you can drain the remaining coolant.

Courtesy of Milan.

Pictures Added courtesy of Thien.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:16:20 AM by ティエングエン » Logged
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »

so how much coolant do you need to replace?  i bought 2 of those jugs couse i need to change mine but didnt had time yet. hope this week

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
jobata23

Reputation Power: 3
jobata23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »

when would be the best time to replace the fluid? at 60k or when the fluid turns darker in color?

Mark
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »

id say 60K. mine is at 70K now and i need to replace it, its doesnt cost much so better to replace it when honda tells you to

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »

Replace it at 60K.  Good coolant will protect your system from corrosion and won't gum up.  Worn out fluid won't necessarily.  Running until it starts turning black won't cause our cars to over heat as it doesn't gell up completely like dexcool does, but it's still a good idea to replace regularly.

If you have a gm that got 60k miles or more on it, get it out of there.  Flush the dexcool out with water, and replace it with the yellow stuff dodge and ford use (I forget the name, but it's also available at napa).

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
jobata23

jobata23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

^^^ thx fellas ill do it @ 60k

Mark
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »

Rule of thumb is once every 5 years or go by factory scheduled maitenance interval.
jobata23

jobata23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:50:50 AM »

^^ thx thien ill keep that in mind too

Mark
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »

I did this at 70k miles a few months back. It sounded sort of intimidating at first...but honestly it is extremely easy to do. Just make sure you have 2-gallons of the coolant...the I4 holds about 1.4 gallons if I remember correctly...I think the V6 is around 1.6 gallons.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »

would adding water wetter or purple ice be good idea? or just replace coolant?

Misha
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »

I'd replace it with coolant.  Not water.  You should be using a mixture of coolant and water with a 1:1 ratio.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I'd replace it with coolant.  Not water.  You should be using a mixture of coolant and water with a 1:1 ratio.
i got 2 jugs from honda, i think its premixed. i was talking about coolant additivie, i know two, one by royal purple, i think its called purple ice and other one called water wetter forgot who makes it

Misha
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
Quote from: "timot_one"
i got 2 jugs from honda, i think its premixed. i was talking about coolant additivie, i know two, one by royal purple, i think its called purple ice and other one called water wetter forgot who makes it

Redline makes water wetter. I have a bottle sitting at home waiting to be poured in.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:34 PM »

i will take this project on am at about 70k better to be safe then sorry but i will thinking of draining the whole system and adding the blue stuff like the new Honda's is it safe?

Jeff Likes Bagels

Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 12:32:50 AM »

Well, I bought 2 jugs of that stuff from Honda (well, according to the time it'd be yesterday). After work I'm going to drain the coolant and replenish it. They took off like 3 bucks for each one, and I didn't even show them the price from handa Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012