Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:50:50 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Replace Serpentine / Accessory / Drivebelt  (Read 31885 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:53:06 AM »

First go to your local shop and get the belt, it should cost about $30.  

The right tool for this job is going to make all the difference in the world.  I know a mechanic and he let me borrow this.  It's a Snap On XDHFM1417 and looks like this.

This socket wrench has a slight tip that will get in to the auto tensioner to do the job right.  

The auto tensioner is this guy right here.

You can't fit a regular 14mm socket wrench due to the tight space.  So you need the tool above and place is like this.

You want to crank it towards the front of the car (counter clockwise) and it will loosen the belt and from here, I hope you can figure it out.  Make sure you know the route of the belt!  If not look that up on line like here
http://honda.justanswer.com/uploads/lor ... p_belt.doc

Hope this helps!  It took me 5 minutes from start to finish.  Best $70 I've ever saved and feel the difference!

Transfered from Gen7Accord.com
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

this is not timing belt is it

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

No.  Otherwise the thread title would have been How To: Replace Your Timing Belt For the J30.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »

probably gona do it. i think this is the belt that makes noise on start up. whats honda recomended replacement interval on this thing

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeff Likes Bagels

Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

I may get the TSX belt whenever/if ever I get some Ralco pulleys...

It was the TSX belt that fits our cars, and not the type-S one, right?

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »

yeah you can use the tsx/accord one for the ralco. The UR one might be different since they have different specs. If you want I have some left over pulley If you want some.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
probably gona do it. i think this is the belt that makes noise on start up. whats honda recomended replacement interval on this thing

Honda does not have an interval for the serpentine belt. You just replace when you see cracks, or when the belt is contaminated and cause a belt squeel from time to time.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"

Honda does not have an interval for the serpentine belt. You just replace when you see cracks, or when the belt is contaminated and cause a belt squeel from time to time.

ok good enough of a reason to replace it. it sequels when i start the car and it looks brown

Misha
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »

I replaced mine because I had a squeal, and it fixed the problem. I need to order this tool though I used a regualar box wrench, and it was a nightmare.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

Damnit, I need to replace mine too.  Mine's only 2 months old though.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »

Do you think this belt would be the cause of a very faint whining noise in the engine? I noticed that when I'm cruising around, I can hear a whining noise, but I know for a fact it's not the intake. It sounds like it's coming from a belt, but I don't know if it would be this belt or not.

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »

I thought it was the belt tensioner that caused the squealing noise during warm-up.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »

It could be the tensioner or a bad belt.  The belt is cheaper and easier to replace.

Tim
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »

A whining noise won't be from the belts. Belts usually make a squeel noise. When replacing your serpentine belt, always check the tensioner. Since both the V6 and I4 have an auto tensioner, the auto tensioner has a higher tendecy to go bad down the road. The tensioner starts to have play (gets kind of loose) and causes the belt to walk around on the tensioner or idler pulley. You can use a box end wrench to loosen the tensioner pulley. The trick is to use 1. a cheater pipe or 2. a slightly bigger wrench and use the double wrench technique.
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:10:36 PM »

Yes, the idler, and/or belt tensioner can cause a squeel. Although it is very rare to see a Honda idler or tensioner to go bad. I have seen Honda auto belt tensioner still in full function with 250k miles on it (6th Gen V6 Accord). You usually will see a bad tensioner go out on domestic cars. IE: Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, and GM. Imports and Euros I have not seen a tensioner go bad yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012