Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:14:15 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Setup Consideration/Recomendation Thread  (Read 7633 times)
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

Just like my wheels thread, state what's on your wish list & why, and allow others to comment on it. I am pondering the following setup:

EBC Ultimax Rotors F&R:

EBC Ultimax Heavy Duty Brake Pads (Blackstuff):

With my 10% coupon it comes to $357.00 shipped at Autoanything.com

Is it a deal? Thanks guys
-JT
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:27:27 PM by Blackhawk » Logged

Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

I thinks its a pretty good price considering that regular replacement rotors from parts store is abour 40-50 dollars a peice and ceramic pads are around 40-50 a set.  So that almost 300 dollars for OEM replacement and your getting aftermarket for 360

Tory
"Low and Slow"
seththekorean

Reputation Power: 4
seththekorean pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »

well JT, you saw i bought the ultimaxx rotors. LOVE EM!!!  but of course mine are paired with greenstuff, idk about the blackstuff pads.
I love the stopping power a bunch, and when your on the highway and slow down very rapidly, they make a nice moan. nothing huge, just a  big improvement over my oem rotors that shook the shit out of my steering wheel when i stopped.

[size=150]Seth[/size]
04' Coupe k24a4 5AT
SECM Squad Member
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

Quote from: "seththekorean"
well JT, you saw i bought the ultimaxx rotors. LOVE EM!!!  but of course mine are paired with greenstuff, idk about the blackstuff pads.
I love the stopping power a bunch, and when your on the highway and slow down very rapidly, they make a nice moan. nothing huge, just a  big improvement over my oem rotors that shook the shit out of my steering wheel when i stopped.

Well I have a little update. I inspected my brakes on Saturday after foglamp install and I have about 70% life left on my pads. My rotors are not warped or grooved so I am not sure what the grinding noise was last week. Something got caught up in the pad maybe? Oh well I got to return $90 in pads. I will use your setup once I need brakes though, Seth.

Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:20 AM »

i dont wanna be a buzz-kill... but isn't this thread technically the same as viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25 ?
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:40:38 AM »

I will be replacing my rotors and pads soon. Going to go with Brembo blanks in the front...what pads should I get for performance street use? Hawk HPS? EBC Greenstuff? I've heard mixed reviews about both pads.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »

I have had the Hawks, and they were good, but noisy and dusty.  I have not used the EBC's though, so I can't comment on them.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »

i have the green stuff pads and have been very happy with them.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I have had the Hawks, and they were good, but noisy and dusty.  I have not used the EBC's though, so I can't comment on them.

I've been running the Hawk HPS front and rear for about a year now, and I haven't seen any negatives with them.
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:17 AM »

Cool. From what I've read it seems the HPS provide more braking power.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »

Hey guys, my mom's Tahoe is due for some front brakes, and I've been trying to find a good set of brakes for her SUV. I went to Tirerack and found these by Hawk:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=LTS+Truck/SUV+Pads&group=LTS+Truck/SUV+Pads&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoModel=Tahoe&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=

They look pretty suitable. However, I remembered that you can buy brake pads on RockAuto.com, so I gave it a shot.

I found out that you can get the police package (i'd imagine that they bite better than the regular package) of the pads that they used, specifically this:

RAYBESTOS Part # ATD1092P  Advanced Technology; Brake Pad Set (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)  
  Front;Police Package;Semi-Metallic;Originally Equipped With Semi-Metallic;Quiet On Arrival Technology;Contains Hardware;

For only $44.79, it's half the price of the Hawk pads. Plus there's a mail-in rebate for $15 back. I doubt anyone here has bought Raybestos brand pads before, but does anyone think that this is a good choice compared to the Hawk LTS pads above? This Tahoe never hauls anything, so it is just a daily driver, that is all.

Thanks. Sorry that it isn't really Honda related at all, haha.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:57:26 PM by Jeff » Logged

ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »

For only $30 I would try them out for sure. 
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »

Raybestos is a company thats been around a long time. I don't know that the make "performance parts" but, for a dd they should be fine.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:39 PM »

Okay, thanks for the tips. Now I'm sort of split between ordering those Raybestos, or just heading over to autozone and picking up some duralast gold Pads. At least those have some reviews to base on.

The duralast pads are 50 bucks. I have no experience with Raybestos pads (nor have I seen any reviews on them), so I don't want to make the same mistake twice and get shitty pads, lol.

Which would you guys try, the Raybestos or the Duralast pads?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »

To be honest I won't by duralast anything!
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012