Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:39 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension component question.  (Read 6006 times)
hightechredneck
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
hightechredneck pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »

Hello all,

I searched but could not find a post that quite fit my issue and question, so I wanted to ask.

Ok, so I have a 2004 Accord Coupe 6speed, and have it lowered (unknown exact amount) but it is not too much. The wheels are Avant Garde 19 inch... Have to check offset, I dont remember what I ended up settling on.

When I lowered it (Form and Function 1) had the rims mounted, and balanced, it has a weird vibration that nobody can seem to pinpoint, just between certain speeds, then it smooths out like its on rails, then has a slight shimmy 30 Mph later, then rails again... Weird, right? It also grabs and is very squirrelly when accelerating and sometimes driving on not so flat roads (most of the roads in MD)  So I had the rims balanced twice, 2 different ways, one using clip on weights, and one using stick ons. Stick ons took the most out. The wheels read balanced on the digital balancer....

So my mechanic said that the tie rod end on one side was slightly (ever so ) worn, and could be the issue, so I bought new ones to replace inners and outers, upgrading to Moogs from stock. I am going to have these put on, then go get an alignment and see if it cures the issue, but I thought of something and wanted to ask..

I specifically do not want any angle camber on the vehicle. Some people like the look, but its not for me... I am in NO way bashing it at all, just not my thing.

When I got the suspension (used) guy sent me a rear camber kit for free. I never installed it though, and wondered if I should install that, and get something for the front? So here lies the question..

I dont want to have the wheels lean at all, and most of the threads were (to my understanding which could be wrong) to create more lean, to allow the clearance of the wheels. I want to go the other way. Keep it straight, like stock. My car does not have much, it is very little camber on the front and back of the vehicle, barely noticeable. But I figured, if Im having the alignment done, Maybe I should upgrade the front joints, and install the rear camber kit.

So... BEcause I want to go to straight, would arms, or just adjustable joints on factory arms be better? Complete arms are a little more expensive, and if its not needed, or it will not do anything positive for the vehicle, I dont want to add the extra cost.

Has anyone used these to get rid of camber not add camber, and what is my best choice? (recommendations)

I saw Skunk 2, Megan and of course Ebay complete arms, and Ignalls adjustable joints...

** as you can see in the picture, it is not that low, I may have raised it after this also, I need a more recent pic. I cant find any stock measurements from the ground to the door bottom to get an idea of how low it is....

Thanks in advance.

Chris

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »

There's a few issues going on here.

The weird vibration you're experiencing could be a lot of different things. I had something similar years ago, and it ended up being an axle. It could also be your compliance bushing in your lower control arm. They are known to go bad easily.

As far as the tracking goes, an alignment to OEM specs is a good place to start. Camber kits should be used to correct/adjust wheel camber from lowering your car. From what I know, a rear camber kit is necessary when you lower an Accord any amount.

I would recommend you install the rear camber kit and get an alignment done to OEM specs which is 0° up front and -1° in the rear. If they can't get the front within spec, then I would consider the front camber kit.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
hightechredneck
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
hightechredneck pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »

Thanks, I do have the rear TL-S sway bar upgrade also, forgot about that. The place near me does alignments a single time for like 70 or 80 and has a lifetime alignment package for 200 I think, so I may do that, its not much more than 2 alignments and if they couldnt get it the first time, Id have to get another one after getting the arms or joints. I just have no experience with just the joints every car I have had that was lowered had the full upper arms, installed by a previous owner. (First car I bought stock and modded)

I am going to take a few shots of the car tonight and see if I can upload them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012