Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:19:53 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help! Car is not charging.  (Read 5484 times)
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »

Yesterday my car suddenly died on me i was waiting outside a store for my gf to come back and i noticed my fuel gauge suddenly just dropped to empty. Weird I thought so I turned the car off tried to turn it back on and it was dead. Got it towed to my friends shop we put the battery on a charger (the battery is brand new btw) and put a new alternator on and it still wouldn't charge the battery light on the dash still came on. We checked the wires to and from the battery they all checked out fine. All the fuses were good. So we thought maybe its a defective alternator. Put another new alternator on today and the same thing. The battery still isn't being charged. At this point I'm lost as to what the problem could be. The alternator we took off was the original one, and we were sure that was the problem. Is there something I'm missing? Should I try a new battery? The one in the car is only a month old.
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »

test the voltage at the battery with the car running, it should be around 14volt

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »

If test the voltage at the battery while the car is running like Pascal suggested. It's strange that something like that would happen if there is no damage to the wire harness from the alternator to the battery.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »

It could be a battery but do the voltage test first. Some times batteries short internally by the plates in the touching or arcing. If you getting voltage from that alternator at the battery than its the battery not accepting the charge
Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:17:46 AM »

I'm dropping it off at another shop tonight. The guy specializes with automotive electronics. I'm going to get him to check the battery before he gets too deep into it. I'll let you guys know what it was.
Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

Turns out the wire going up to the fuse panel had a hidden break in it, so the alternator was only working some of the time. This also caused a fuse to pop, and the connections were all pretty dirty. After we fixed all that, she is good to go again. Thanks everyone.
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:52:11 PM »

Good thing it is fixed. One thing I wonder, why did you bother asking for help if you didn't even plan to try to repair it yourself. I mean any good mechanics will have found out easily and none of them want to know your supposition of what a guy from a forum told you. Not trying to be rude or judge you, just seems like a lot of people do this and always makes me wonder why they do.

Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:26 AM »

At the time of posting I was attempting to fix it myself. However when I could not find the problem right away I had no other choice then to bring it to a shop, being it was the only car I have on the road currently.
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »

yeah okay I get it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012