Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:44 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uneven rear brake pad wear/delayed brake pedal response...  (Read 6053 times)
[ChaosweaveR]

Hellastock

Reputation Power: 3
[ChaosweaveR] pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »

This issue became noticeable to me the other day, "delayed" brake feel under low speeds...if I press hard on the pedal, there's a good half second before it stops. Like its not biting like it should be.

Had the car in the shop after my break and the right side caliper's pads are unevenly worn compared to the left side. Worst case scenario is the caliper is starting to fail, or it could be sticky slider pins. Didn't want to rip it apart just yet so I'm not sure.

What's the best route for replacement calipers? I'm just kinda leery on aftermarket remans...I was told to rebuild it by a friend, but I've never had a car with twist in rear calipers before. I know I'll need the special compression tool, but outside of that, kind of unknown to me.

Suggestions?

2005 CM7: EX-L, K24A4, five speed auto

I'm boring, guys. I like function over form. :c
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

Not sure about rebuilding yourself. few people, if any, has rebuilt them. Our rear calipers, mainly left rear, are notorious for failing. I'm on my 4th left and 2nd right. Last reman. I got was about $60 and I got $40 of it back for the core return. Lasted just over a year. Always tends to fail in winter also.

Rich
[ChaosweaveR]

Hellastock

[ChaosweaveR] pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »

Luckily there's no grinding from the pads (yet) as they aren't metal to metal.

Didn't know that about the rear calipers on these cars...but hey, after 18K and a year and a half of ownership, this is the car's first hiccup for me.

Now, my 03 Pontiac Grand Am in that same time...well...lol

Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

I didn't know that either..  I'll have to keep an eye on it as my rear brakes need.replacing soon and I'm getting some wobble in the pedal
[ChaosweaveR]

Hellastock

[ChaosweaveR] pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »

Pulsating pedal means warped rotors. Not really an "issue" but more of an annoyance. Not worth trying to recut, though. My front rotors are the originals, with 68K on them...surprised honestly, but my rears will get replaced once I get parts. New centric rotors, not really sure on the pads yet. Probably will get a good ceramic pad.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »

I use aftermarket remans I've changed both 3 times the lifetime warranty is the key. They are easy enough to change that I don't mind doing them every few years and getting free replacements
[ChaosweaveR]

Hellastock

[ChaosweaveR] pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »

Maybe with what little driving I do (4300 miles this year!) I probably won't have to worry about another caliper failing IF it's frozen. Meh, after the holidays I'll start gathering parts.

hondaguy214

Reputation Power: 1
hondaguy214 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »

Don't rebuild it not worth the money. You will be fine with an aftermarket caliper I have installed many after markets without issues

NECM SQUAD#6
[ChaosweaveR]

Hellastock

[ChaosweaveR] pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »

Update on this: turns out both my rear calipers are no good. The right side will not compress at all. The left side moved a bit, but I think it's because of me barely driving the car and having the pads be low for so long. :/

$150 for a pair of rear calipers isn't so bad, I already bought Centric rear pads and rotors. Just need to spray the new rear calipers black.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012