Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:58:59 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 08 TL-s Steering Rack on 03 V6/6spd coupe  (Read 5086 times)
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »

So this all started with some misaps when I originally ordered a replacement steering rack for my car and got the wrong one, not sure if it's even for a Honda. I'll post a pick, if someone recognizes it, please let me know.

Going through some forums I found a thread on Acurazine regarding using the type S rack in the base TL and remembering a conversation with Paul that he's often replace the aluminum TL subframes with the steel version from the Accord, I started looking at the differences between the racks. Here's what I came up with:

NOTE: I would not do this mod unless you can score a TL-s rack and parts at a reasonable price and can do the work yourself OR if you need a replacement rack (Total cost of all parts needed from Acura ended up being cheaper than the rack alone from Honda). Also, the increased steering response and feedback from the road due the tighter gear ratio of the TL-s may not be for everyone.

TL-S                                                     / Accord
Rack length:   42.88mm                                               / 42.25mm
Turn-Turn   :3                                                              / 2.75
Feed inlet   : 16mmx1.5                                                / 14mmx1.5 (feed line has a larger tubing)
Total difference in length of Inner + outer tie rod: 12.7"  / 13.05" (-.35")
Inner tie rod stud (rack end) : 18mmx1.5                       / 14mmx1.5
Rack Diameter : Didn't measure but it's ~ .060" smaller  / ~.060" larger

Spline of the rack going to the steering column knuckle are different so the little yellow part used to aid with the alignment of the spline between the rack and column will not work. See pics below. You can get them together without this.

With these differences, here's what you'll need (you can choose to replace other parts such as boots, clamps, hose, pump, etc):

1) TL-s power steer feed hose (new ones since the recall has the aluminum shield zip tied to it over a rubber sleeve) - 53713-SEP-A14

2) TL-s power steering rack - 53601-SEP-A54

3) TL-s inner tie rod ends (I got Moogs from Advance Auto)

4) I also had to buy the first section of pipe on the return line coming from the rack because I couldn't get mine off the old rack and for 3.65, I wasn't fighting with it. The part number is the same for both cars 53720-SEP-A00

5) Because of the smaller diameter of the rack housing you'll need to add some sort of a shim to top of the rack housing so that the clamp on the passenger side will hole the rack securely in place. I used a section of an old water hose with a similar diameter to make mine.

6) Of course, new Honda/Acura P/S fluid about 2.5 bottles.

So with the addition of replacing the p/s feed line and adding a shim, it's just replacing one steering rack with another. Here are some pics from the install:

Difference in the sline

I had to disconnect the return line on the passenger side instead of on the rack itself

How low I had to lower the rear part of subframe in order to snake the rack out

Can't really tell the difference in the housing diameter of the rack by just looking at it.

Hope this helps anyone who's ever thought about this or someone who wants even more steering response after doing all the other suspension upgrades.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:01:16 PM by Rich01 » Logged

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »

Cool write up. Hope this helps some of you j series guys.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately they're not many of us left who are still doing mods to our Js.

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »

That's just how things are with Accord people.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

Dat stance yo!

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

What stance question

Rich
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »

Not your stance. Accord people doing dat stance yo.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012