Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:43:48 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake pedal feeling soft after replacing rear calipers  (Read 8808 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »

Hey guys,

This weekend I replaced both of the rear calipers on my 2003 EX coupe. The parking brake mechanism seized on one side, and I figured the other side wasn't far behind. I got everything back together, bled the brakes until I saw no more air bubbles and tightened everything up. Now the brake pedal seems to be "soft" or "light" the first 1-2 inches when I press the brake pedal, then it gets firm towards the bottom. The car seems to stop ok....just feels different to me. I can hear the shift-interlock click when I just tap the brake pedal in park...so something must be happening the first 1-2 inches that I press the pedal.

Anyone have a similar experience? Do you think I still have air in the system? I pinched off the brake lines and made sure the master cylinder didnt go dry while bleeding. I think I did it right.

Thanks!

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

You need to bleed the whole system starting with the closest caliper then moving towards the furthest. Once you pop open one of those lines, expect air to get in regardless of what you do.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »

Bleed with vacuum pump
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

I hate using a vacuum pump. Vacuum pumps tend to add air into the system sometimes. I rather pressure bleed, or the old school way of having someone depressing the brake pedal and another opening the bleeder screw/valve.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to bleed the entire system tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick. I just use the old school method of having a friend pump the brake pedal for me.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »

I just wanted to report that I bled the entire brake system today, and my brakes now feel better. Thanks guys!
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »

More and likely, when your buddy was depressing the brake he might've released the brake just a tad which sucked in air before you closed off the bleeder valve. I see it quite often. Thats why I bought a $300 brake pressure bleeder tool. So I can bleed/flush my brake fluid by myself.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »

You need to bleed the whole system starting with the closest caliper then moving towards the furthest. Once you pop open one of those lines, expect air to get in regardless of what you do.

Actually you have that reversed, start with the furthest caliper (drivers/rear), then work to the closest (pass/front).

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

I was under the impression that Honda reversed it to what I said. I know the old way is how you're saying Paul and I've always done it that way. With this car, I read it was opposite.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »

Per Honda, Z is correct, but if going by rule of thumb, Paul is correct.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »

LOL, yeah, just looked in a couple of my factory manuals, 6th gen was listed as the old way, but 7th gen they changed, why I have no idea and I just repklaced my ABS module and blead out the old way with no issues.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »

It happens man. I have no idea why Honda recommends this new way but bleeding is bleeding. Know what I mean?

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »

They switched it like that for the abs module from my understanding.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »

That's odd though. ABS has been around for a few years before. I'm guessing it was a module upgrade?

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »

I believe so. Its mainly because with the whole new "Traction Control" that runs on ABS module. Older 6th gen did not have traction control.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012