Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:10 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borla Cat Back Exhaust FAQ and Install  (Read 13342 times)
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »

I spent a lot of time searching the forums for what others ran into with the Borla exhaust system and the difficulty level and so forth. I found a bunch of great information and wanted to post up a quick reference guide for future members that might be looking for one resource for all things relating to this exhaust system.

First, prices vary. You should expect to pay in the mid $600 range for the exhaust.

http://www.ajusa.com is the lowest price I was able to find at $636 shipped.

The box comes with all the piping, mufflers and clamps. Plus easy to read directions. The exhaust system DOES NOT need to be welded. It bolts and clamps right up.

The difficulty level of doing this install is very low. Any beginner, with basic hand tools, some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and possibly air tools can do the entire removal and install in under an hour.

The most difficult part of the entire install process is removing the three bolts that secure the stock exhaust to the catalytic converter. Just spray them with some lubricating spray, let it soak in for about 15 minutes or so and then either use a breaker bar or an air gun with a 9/16 socket to remove the three bolts.

It is easier if you have someone to help you, but this install can be totally done by yourself. I did the entire install with no assistance. You jack the car up, secure it with jack stands (I recommend the stock jack points) and ensure the car is stable before getting underneath. If you have 4 jack stands, that would be best, plus either another set of jack stands to help with the exhaust system removal or anything that can secure the rear of the exhaust long enough until you remove it. The OEM exhaust setup is much heavier then the Borla, but totally capable of being lifted by one person.

Basically follow the directions that Borla gives you. The installation is easy. Just loosely bolt up the pieces using the original bolts and the clamps that Borla provides. Slowly adjust the exhaust so your tips align and then tighten things up. There really is not much to it.

I would highly recommend following Borla's recommend torque setting of 32-35 ft/lbs on the clamps. I used the same for the stock manifold bolts too.

Here is some answers to many popular questions about this exhaust. YMMV and my install was done on an 04 Auto V6.

1.) Yes, the Borla is probably the quietest of the after market exhaust systems on the market. If you are looking for a loud exhaust, this is not for you. If you are looking for an exhaust that will provide a little bit of a performance gain, plus minimal noise increasing, then this would be a great option.

2.) The sound that does come out is deep, does not drone and is barely noticeable under 2k and above 4k RPM.

3. The exhaust tips sit pretty flush with a stock bumper, however if you have the OEM kit, expect it to sit recessed. It is still nicer then the stock OEM tips, but if you are looking for a real aggressive looking exhaust, then again I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Final Thoughts. If you are looking for an after market exhaust system that will give you a nice deep tone (even better if you couple with a AEM V2) and looks almost stock with a few extra HP, then you should definitely go with this exhaust. There are several sound clips and video clips of this exhaust in action. They range from MT to Auto and from with resonators and without. You really are not going to be able to judge until you get it. I am quite pleased with the sound it makes and with the design.

UPDATED:
- It does not drone at all. The sound is a nice deep tone. It sounds great. No headaches.
- Performance differences I don't think I can say I would really notice so far, but it has only been one day. As I am now just starting to add some performance mods. Always remember that performance is going to be the sum of all parts and not necessarily one item. This was the first performance mod added, but I have several more coming in the next few days, so I would imagine it will help once all installed.
- Pictures are coming. It was not a very clear day outside and seeing as I am getting an AEM V2 and new wheels in the upcoming weeks (waiting on delivery) I will post up some complete pictures when done and revive the thread. Probably in two weeks.

Quote from: "99VTECCoupe"
Looks like you need to get it extended, which answers my other question.

Actually, I like the way I set it up, where it sits under the lip some. Give it that factory look, yet you surprise some people by the nice deep sound. Remember, without the OEM lip, it would sit close to flush with the rear bumper. One thing you can definitely do is adjust where the center dual pipe comes out of the center resonator, to sit outward slightly further and then clamp tight. This way it would adjust the entire exhaust outward even further, without having to add extenders. Also, I need to adjust the right side muffler to be better centered. I will do this on Sunday and take better pictures. Luckily, you can easily make this adjustment as the clamps they provide you with are easy to adjust.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »

Awesome write up Scott.  For the record, I have heard his exhaust in person and it sounds amazing.  Quiet, but has a deep growl when it needs to.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »

great write up.  best looking exhaust IMO.  super easy install too.  took me and a friend about 1.5 hours with just hand tools

btw my tips sit flush with the rear bumper - theyre not tucked in as yours appear to be

J u s t i n
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »

went for drive in Bretts car yesterday and he has it. very quiet at low rpms and little louder growl at high rpms. i would get this couse i would not want it to be loud

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
JRv6
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
JRv6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »

hey guys... i heard the borla b4 but it was on a S2000 n it sounds really good... so i'm hoping that it will sound the same in the accord, now i heard that there is an exaust system that will make ur car sound like a 350Z does any of u guys might know or know someone wit a kit like this or mayb the guy that i heard it from didn't know anything....
lilmalu

Reputation Power: 2
lilmalu pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

why would you want your car to sound like a 350z? if you really wanted that then you might as well have gotten a 350z over your accord. there is no such product or exhaust setup that would replicate a 350z to my knowledge

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:48 PM »

Man just get the Borla especially with an intake, you'll be more that happy. That's what im saving up for cause I heard Mr Eazy's and I envy him for it.

Rich
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:19 AM »

plus you cant go wrong with Borlas 1,000,000 mile warranty Cheesy

J u s t i n
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:14:51 AM »

I still have to install the one in my basement! I just don't have the time or the help.
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »

on ebay one of the sell is selling it for cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 685wt_1946

just ask them if they have a borla 1.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
Mr Eazy

Reputation Power: 8
Mr Eazy pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:48:59 PM »

This is an excellent exhaust setup for those that want to keep low key most of the time and growl when needed. I have this exhaust setup on my ride for exactly one year now and I love it. There is absolutely no drone. I drove for 21 hours straight with this setup and no headaches whatsoever.

Excellent right up Scott!

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »

Sounds like this exhaust has everything Gen and I are looking for but I was wondering if it's louder when you're really hammering it.  The stock is so quiet even when approaching redline, we both want something you can hear over the sound of music at moderate volume.

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
Mr Eazy

Mr Eazy pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Milan"
Sounds like this exhaust has everything Gen and I are looking for but I was wondering if it's louder when you're really hammering it.  The stock is so quiet even when approaching redline, we both want something you can hear over the sound of music at moderate volume.

Milan, you will be very happy with this setup.

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »

here the spec they sent me for the magnaflow. I will try to get the borla one up later on the day I also asked about a group buy for you guys if you are interested.

*PS I am not a vendor for this. I am trying to pass the deal on to members on this forum*

Magnaflow part #15824

V6 3.0L Coupe, GAS
5 x 14in. Round Mufflers, 2.25 in./2 in. Tubing, 4 in. Tips; DUAL REAR EXIT

http://images.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/15824.jpg

INSTALL SHEET

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15824.pdf

DYNO CHART

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/dynos/15824.jpg

Give us a call to receive our best price on this system.
Customer Service
888 986 3373

- wundercarparts

thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »

alright they got back to me with a price

I can do $625 shipped but we are out of stock and Borla is about 2-3 weeks out. They said if we got them a bunch of orders they would push it up and make them faster. Let me know what you think.

Brad
888 986 3373

- wundercarparts

Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012