Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:12:12 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AEM V2 CAI Install FAQ and How to  (Read 3567 times)
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »

In an effort to consolidate many of the questions that are asked about the V2 Cold Air Intake made by AEM, seeing as I just finished installing mine, I am creating a single thread that answers all the questions that I had, which required me to search in multiple threads.

The first question is how hard is it to install and how to install. The answer is all over the place. First and foremost, AEM gives you very good directions, with detailed pictures. Someone with NO mechanical skills should be able to install this with minimal effort.

The biggest decision is going to be if you are going to remove the front bumper or go through the fender liner. AEM gives you directions to go through the fender liner. I took the front bumper off. However, I was also installing new headlight housings at the same time, so it made sense to do it this way. What I can tell you is that although going through the fender liner is possible, it is MUCH easier of an install, if you work with the front bumper off. Taking the front bumper off is relatively simple. 6 bolts, about 12 or so clips and a couple of screws and it comes right off. Putting it back on is very easy and with patience, it will go back on just like it came off. You will have to decide which method you prefer. Both are doable, although getting the stock resonator out is again, MUCH easier if the front bumper is off. Plus if you do it this way, it gives you a great opportunity to clean up all the dirt that accumulates behind the bumper cover.

As for the rest of the install, it is very straight forward. I would highly recommend waiting to drain the coolant and replace the coolant line until you are ready to put in the intake tubing. Only to make for a quicker clean up at the end. It will make perfect sense why you have to drain the coolant, just follow AEM's direction and YES, you must drain the coolant if you want to do the install the right way.

AEM gives you all the supplies you will need. You do not need anything additional. Pay close attention to keeping things loose until you have aligned all the hoses, wire loom and intake tubing. Then tighten things up. My install took about an hour all said and done. The intake is perfectly centered, not hitting any wires or parts of the car body. Looks perfect!

Once everything is reassembled, I would recommend turning the car on, turn the heat on, let the coolant flow through the system, so you can check for leaks and ensure you top off the overflow.

Once installed, everything you probably already read about the intake is true. The sound when just gently accelerating between 1-2k rpm, sounds very much like stock. However when you get on it, the intake makes your car sound like it absolutely came alive. While talking about sound, lets get this out. The V2 will in fact make almost a squeal sound. The way the air resonates inside the dual intake chamber, almost makes it sound like a high pitch squeak or squeal. This is normal, expect, almost all V2's do this, do not worry. The overall sound is extremely potent and you will love it. I have it coupled with a Borla exhaust and the car sounds amazing.

As for the filter. AEM provides you with a dry flow filter. It does not require oil and is VERY easy to replace if needed, by just pulling down the splash shield on the drivers side of the car. You can get to it quite easily if you ever wanted to clean or replace it.

No check engine lights should come on as a result of this install. Your ECU does not necessarily need to be reset, but seeing as you had the battery disconnected for about an hour while doing the install, it almost is certain to have reset so you should be good to go. The car will probably take a little while to adjust to the amount of air flow entering the throttle body, so be prepared for atypical gas mileage after the install. This should work itself out and if you can keep your foot out of the pedal, your mileage should increase slightly, perhaps 1-2MPG.

As for performance, you will definitely think the car is all of a sudden a complete bad ass, because of the sound output, however likely the increase in performance is small. I would guess between 2-5 HP at the wheel, if that. Don't expect an intake to make your car perform like you put a supercharger on. Performance will come as a result of your combination of modifications. Just be realistic with your performance expectation. If you really want to know the difference, asking in a forum is not going to give you an answer. Take your car to a dyno, do a stock run, install the intake, go back and re-dyno the car and compare. That is going to be the only way to know 100% the difference it makes. Everyone will give you a different answer and none of them are going to be accurate as all cars with have somewhat different results.

As for hydrolocking your car – opinions are like *******s, everyone's got one. Unless you truly are driving the car through a large puddle, to the point that the entire filter is submerged into water, it is very unlikely that you will hydrolock the car, if not near impossible. Flash floods do happen, bad rain storms happen. There are several options available. First, don't drive through puddles. Second, expect your filter to get wet. It was designed to get wet. So don't freak out about it. Third, if you are so worried about this possibility, either don't install this type of modification, or modify you splash shield to prevent as much moisture as possible from being around the filter and intake inlet. Some have done this with a plastic trash can, others have make their own ICE box from the stock resonator. My recommendation is to really not be worried about it. It is dry outside way more then it rains. Drive slowly around shallow puddles and don't drive through deep puddles. You will be fine. If you for some reason hydrolock your car, be calm, don't freak out. Call AAA, have them tow your car, call your insurance company and go about your life. There are much bigger things to worry about. Sorry for such a long rant, but this is the most common concern and question that comes up about any CAI.

One other thought about water. The AEM bypass IS NOT DESIGNED to work with the V2. Some have modified it to work, but I will tell you that it will ruin the intake design and any performance gains associated with it. Plus, you are using a bypass that was not designed to fit on this size intake tubing. What future problems might come up as a result. I would just accept that one is not made for this intake and get over it. :-)

How does it compare to cheaper intakes found on ebay, Fujita, K&N, etc. Basically a CAI is a CAI. One really does not have a huge benefit over the other, but at close to $300 for the V2, you might be asking why spend the extra money. The only real answer is the dual chamber design and a little more depth to the sound you get. Performance will be comparable to other CAI. I happen to like the gunmetal color of the V2 and the 4" filter it comes with. I also like the fact that everything you need, from printed directions to all grommets, screws and hoses are included. It make for a perfect install. If you want to know why you should spend money on a name brand CAI, versus some ebay knock off, is simply going to be design and engineering. Someone did not just slap a pipe into a bender and make it sort of fit. A reputable CAI will be carefully created to fit without modification and more then likely have a better powercoat or polished finish, then a knock off. Sometimes the cheap comes out more expensive in the long run.

Other then that, pictures are all over the forums, my car is too damn dirty and it is too rainy outside for me to take any decent pictures, so for now, just search. I hope this single resource will help some people out in the future when they are looking for information regarding this install.
Jellynuts

Reputation Power: 2
Jellynuts pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:37:55 AM »

As for performance, you will definitely think the car is all of a sudden a complete bad ass...

I couldn't agree more!  Good write up.  Reminds me of how I wish AEM made a CAI for MAF equipped i4's!  :(

2005 TSX 6MT
2005 I4 Coup EXL (totaled)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »

Good write up Scott.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Accord Euro-R

Reputation Power: 5
Accord Euro-R pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »

Quote from: "skizot"
Other then that, pictures are all over the forums, my car is too damn dirty and it is too rainy outside for me to take any decent pictures, so for now, just search. I hope this single resource will help some people out in the future when they are looking for information regarding this install.

Scott,
Please be realistic.  Your car is probably the cleanest car on this forum (literally)

"Euro-R" Concept - USDM CM82
MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »

No shit, Ben. Scott's engine bay was pretty as hell when I saw it.

Scott, great write up on this intake. AEM did a really good job with the kit and especially the instructions, so there shouldn't be any worries out there as far as install. I have installed one on my own car and have also installed one on another J30 Accord.

I am, however a former owner of this intake. I had the same attitude that Scott currently has about it. That attitude changed when I hydrolocked my engine on a rainy day. I'm not discouraging anyone from this mod, but I also don't want anyone blowing off the danger, saying "Oh, well, you'd have to be an idiot to have that happen to you." Eff that, shit happens.

BTW, it doesn't take a lot of water to hydrolock the engine. I know from experience

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »

This is a pretty good write-up. I actually went with the K&N short ram mainly because of the low-maintenance, and I believe I read somewhere that it gave more low end power? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the decision between the cold air and the short ram is in the power of the chooser. I do more daily driving than racing on the streets, etc. so the short ram seemed like a better decision. It still sounds good nonetheless.

Quote from: "Jellynuts"
As for performance, you will definitely think the car is all of a sudden a complete bad ass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgXHfeKFlos&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcqQGdJ42z0&feature=channel_page

That car sounded nice, but what in the world was that clanging noise before every time he revved it? Was that the intake?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012