Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:12:03 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Issues This Morning  (Read 6294 times)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »

When looking at the power steering o ring issue the other day I noticed that there was alot of play in the serp belt tensioner, and I have one and need to change it but, I'm not sures this issue was related. This morning while sitting in a drive thru my raido shut off and lights began to dim. I drove to work about a mile away. While drivign the radio came back on. I shut the car off and went to see if it would start. I turned once and then a clicking nosie. My assumption was that the belt was slipping and the battery was dead.

A couple hours later I go out to pull the battery and put it on a charger at work so that I can at least get it home. I go to start the car and it starts with little to no issue. I shut it off and put a volt meter one it 12.xx volts. I start it and check the volt meter and its 14.6 at idle?

Any ideas what could be causing this? I know I need to change the tensioner but, it seems the starting issue is seperate.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

based on what happened while driving, i would assume your alternator is dying.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

It could be that your alternator is fine but the belt isn't turning it enough. I would start with the tensioner before you replace the alternator. 

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »

The alternator is pretty new.
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

Loose battery connection? Or maybe the main ground or alternator cable is coming loose and/or is corroded? I know I had a similar problem and had to swap out the main ground cable off the battery on mine....it was my fault I accidentally hit where the cable grounds to with engine cleaner....you want to talk about something that corroded quickly :p I changed cleaning methods after that.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Mike, I'd start with the tensioner and a new belt. Like Nelson said, your alternator may not be spinning properly.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Start with lose battery connection, clean the terminals. Then go after belt tensioner and belt. Then get the car hot and re-check voltage off alternator, should be 14V or higher, I have gooten good readings off alts while cool, but die after heating up. Also what year is your car? The 03-05 got POS delphi alternators, if that is what you have get a 3rd gen TL Denso alt out of a yard.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »

Start with lose battery connection, clean the terminals. Then go after belt tensioner and belt. Then get the car hot and re-check voltage off alternator, should be 14V or higher, I have gooten good readings off alts while cool, but die after heating up. Also what year is your car? The 03-05 got POS delphi alternators, if that is what you have get a 3rd gen TL Denso alt out of a yard.
I got a pilot alternator awhile back per ur advice...
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »

So heres the run down. Changed the tensioner, and the car wouldn't start in the garage. I must have tried 10 - 15 times clean grounds etc.

Went and got the battery tested, and it needed to be charged. Told the battery was good after they charged it.

Made them retest... Battery needed to be charged again.... Go new battery under warranty.

Drove home installed battery car wouldn't start. Called Paul, and left a message... Wasn't sure what was wrong.

Waited 20 minutes, and my mechanic / Dad showed up and got it to start hold the throttle. Car was smoking, and smoke smelled like gas. His assumption was that it was flooded from all the failed starting attempts, and that the battery was the culprit all along.

Moral of the story. When they test your battery and tell you its good. Make them check again.
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »

Well, I'm glad it was something not quite so major... Silly garage.. or where ever you took it.. So there's no further damage from the battery? All is good now? Smiley
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:38:56 AM »

I was doing the work. I had the idiots I bought the battery from test it. I haven't tried to start it since moving it to the driveway. If it doesn't start in the morning I'm going to lose it.
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »

I hope it starts!
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

Sorry Mike I was out, but yeah, sounds about right for the battery to be bad and was my next test step for you.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »

It's okay Paul. Makes sense that it flooded. We got her going. That post wasn't meant as a shot just a list of the steps I took. If I'm lost I call the most knowledgeable person I know! Thanks for all your help and hope all is well with you, Carrie and the kiddos.
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »

Moral of the story. When they test your battery and tell you its good. Make them check again.
I normally have two different places test the battery when I suspect battery issues.

- Mark
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012