Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:01 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My car has the shakes! RL BBK not the culprit  (Read 14863 times)
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »

UPDATE: Swapped my stock brakes and rotors on today. The vibes are a lot calmer but not gone. So safe to say, the 350Z rotors are not the culprit although the extra rotational mass contributes to the extra vigorous shaking. Going to check out my axles next....

Cliffs: 350Z rotors make my wheels shake...video at bottom...

About a month ago, my car inexplicably developed some vibrations when I was accelerating hard towards the redline.  At the beginning, the car would start to shake at around 4k RPM.  Enough to feel it but nothing too severe.  At steady speeds, no vibrations were noted at any speed.

In a matter of days, the shakes would start almost from idle, get pretty bad below 2k RPM, get a little better to about 3.5k and then worse after that.  I had to short shift all my gears to prevent my car from shaking apart.  Again, at steady speeds, no vibrations are present.  

I left for Florida for two weeks and when I came back I was ready to tackle the vibes.  But to my surprise, they got a lot better.  Car would not shake until past 4k and even after that, it wasn't too bad until almost redline.  

Now, my very first thought was that the engine mounts or the axles were going.  I checked the engine mounts and didn't find any torn or leaking ones.  After that, I checked the axles.  The axles didn't have any play in them and didn't oscillate in a crazy matter.  

Well, my next suspicion was that the suspension pieces must be getting tired with over 162k miles on the odo.  Checked play in the wheels, steering and control arms and could not find any excess play.  Save for the driver's steering rack, the suspension has zero slop.  Remarkable.  

I decided the only way to see where the vibes are coming from is to jack up the car and replicate the situation in a controllable manner.  After the wheel came off, I could see that the 350Z rotor wasn't quite centered when spinning.  Now, since the Nissan hub is 66.1mm and Honda is 64.1, there is a 2mm difference.  Everyone said that it shouldn't be an issue and that they wheel studs should center them.  Right?  Not in this case.  

Now, I've had my RL BBK installed since May 3rd 2012 and this is the first time I've had any issues with the rotors. They seemed to be fine with no vibrations for over 4 months.

Showing the problem...
2004 Honda Accord - YouTube

Another angle I shot to confirm it's not the axles
2004 Honda Accord - YouTube

At this point, I decided to throw the stock rotors back on just to prove to myself it is the 350Z rotors.  After reving the car, the shakes are gone.  I didn't record that but here is a video of the stock rotors spinning
Accord 6MT stock rotor - YouTube

Compare that to the 350Z rotors
350Z Rotor - YouTube

Now the question is, what do I do? I managed to space the rotors while clamping them with the the help of a snow brush stuck between the seat and the brake pedal.  A 5/64" hex wrench sets the rotor equaly distant from the hub.  Then it's a matter of throwing on the wheel and praying that the rotors are centered.  After a quick drive, they prove that they are.  

I will be looking to find a local machine shop that can make a ring to take up the space between the hub and the rotor in the coming days.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:36:18 PM by Milan » Logged

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »

Isn't there a way to use small hub centric rings similar to what I'm running on my evo wheels? There's gotta be 64.1 - 66.1 metal rings out there.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

After my conversation with Milan, I'm pretty sure that if rings can't be bought, they can be machined.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »

I'm sure of it. Problem is, those are going to be some thin rings and probably expensive. I did a quick search and found the right size rings but they were all plastic.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

I just bought some plastic 64.1-66.1 hub rings on eGay for $8.90 shipped.  I'll sand them down to the width of the rotor otherwise my Acura wheels won't be able to sit on the hub.  I believe that plastic should be okay since they work fine on wheels.  At worst I'm out $8.90

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »

Let me see whatr I can find in 1mm thick material, at the end of the day even a strip run thru a rolling mill would work, machining the 1mm thick rings at only a coulple mm wide would be quite dificult to keep from falling apart in the machine.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

1mm is 0.03937 inch. I can lay hands on 0.040 aluminum than would probably thin out to .039XX in the rolling mill to turn the cut off strips into rings.

Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »

mhh...after doing some conversions in Google calc, I was able to fit a 5/64" drill bit to center the rotor on the hub.  5/64 converts to 1.98438mm so the space between the hub and the hub on the rotor is larger than what it should be. 

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »

Yeah, where did you get your rotors from? Tolerances especially around the studs have gotten really sloppy lately, I have even had to start shipping a extra spacer washer with the front kits where some rotors even have a slightly different offset.

Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »

Got them from Auto Zone but haven't had any issues for four months until now.   I got the ones with a 2-year warranty

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »

I'd like to see opens are available with getting some rings.  Paul, let me know what you want for the rings when you get around to making some.  Milan, let me know how those plastic ones work out.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

So this is why my car shakes....  For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was after everything I looked at checked out okay.

Very interested in seeing what you come up with to solve this.   
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »

I'll keep everyone updated.  Should be getting the rings on Friday but I won't have time to install them until next week most likely. 

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »

Material is inbound. Milan how wide does the ring have to be?

Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

5/64"

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print