Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:22:00 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tsx head  (Read 4742 times)
lilb52x
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
lilb52x pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »

hi guys I wanted to do the k24/k20 at first but seeing how much stuff that needs to but done like k pro plus im not the richest man in the world right now and i only have 1 car kinda of bugs me. so i was thinking about just getting the tsx head 06 with 09 pistons and ecu. plus i was thinking of doing to a/t conversion to tsx m/t swap any way. what do you guys think?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

Yeah, you can do that.  The problem is that the TSX head doesn't flow very well.  If you're going to swap the head and replace the pistons anyway, just go with the k20a2 head.  It may be a little more money up front, but you'll be better off in the long run.  At least the k20 head gives you more room to grow.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
lilb52x
Fucking Newb

lilb52x pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »

yeah that sounds good do you happen to know the list of all the things needed? i know a few in mind from reading some topics but doesn't seem to have everything. i have some friends with civics and preludes doing swaps saying k24s suck and i would love to change there mind  Grin
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:48:17 AM »

Your friends seem to be ignorant.  I wish I had a list of everything you'll need to do a head swap, but it's not too bad.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »

i can speak on this seeing as how i have a tsx head on my car. you would have to swap out pistons so there is no valve to piston contact. because of the higher compression of the 09 tsx pistons you would want kpro to maximize the build. there is no point in doing a head swap if your not going to do it right.  have the head ported and put the rsx-s valve springs and retainers to give you higher redline. then the head will flow just as good as the k20a2 head. look at my profile that will give you an idea of what i did and search to see if you can find the thread on the build that blinx did.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »

i can speak on this seeing as how i have a tsx head on my car. you would have to swap out pistons so there is no valve to piston contact. because of the higher compression of the 09 tsx pistons you would want kpro to maximize the build. there is no point in doing a head swap if your not going to do it right.  have the head ported and put the rsx-s valve springs and retainers to give you higher redline. then the head will flow just as good as the k20a2 head. look at my profile that will give you an idea of what i did and search to see if you can find the thread on the build that blinx did.

David is right.  I just assumed that you were planning on running kpro.  If you aren't, then don't waste your time with any of this. 

A ported TSX head will flow just as good as a stock RSX Type S head, but porting can get expensive.  Port work from a reputable company can cost up to $1200-1500.  Compare the cost of a TSX head with port work to the difference in price with a RSX Type S head. 

A stock '06 TSX head flows 279 cfm, while a stock '02 RSX Type S head flows 299 cfm.  Another shortfall of the TSX head is that it holds the most water, which means there is less material for porting.  There have been porosity issues with some TSX heads that have been ported, so the coolant "weeps" into the intake port when under pressure.

To put things into perspective, an 07' Civic Type R head flows 307 cfm, an '02 CR-V head flows 297 cfm, and a '06 Civic Si head flows 281 cfm.  A reputable company that I know of has ported the '06 TSX head to flow up to 327 cfm, but was able to port an '02 RSX Type S head to 375 cfm.

I'm not trying to say the TSX head is a bad idea.  David has one on his car and the results are great.  I'm just trying to give you information so you can make an informed decision.

Tim
lilb52x
Fucking Newb

lilb52x pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

oh wow i understand now well it looks like its time to start finding parts its hard to find tsx head i found k20z and k20a2 type s head for about 500 on craigslist. would i need a rsx ecu for kpro? sorry im kinda of new to kpro.  Cheesy
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:16 PM »

If you look at Hondata's website, there is a list of ECU's that can be kpro'd.

Tim
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:36:54 AM »

it sounds to me like you need to do a lot of reading. dont buy a single part till you have a set goal and a parts list to accomplish it. nothing is worst than having to resell parts.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012