Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:40:17 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swapping a 6MT tranny into my 5AT AV6 7th Gen  (Read 6099 times)
mschumacher
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
mschumacher pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »

We got shit on by Honda because they sold the Accord V6 7th gen with only the 5AT tranny in our country. I don't have an option of selling this car and finding one with the right transmission.

Moving on to my question. I wish to know how much needs to be swapped over from the MT car into my car. It is a 4DR sedan.

Off the top of my head, here are the things I'll need at a minimum:
6MT Tranny from a 03/04 AV6 7th Gen
Matching flywheel and clutch, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and a clutch pedal. Can run braided instead of hardlines.
6MT ECU
6MT shifter and cables
6MT Starter
Engine and cabin harness
Cluster
Tranny mounts?
Driveshafts?

I'm not too sure if I need to swap any tranny mounts and driveshafts. I compared the part numbers for the 2 cars and they don't match. However, I don't know if they are similar and just have a different part number.

It's 5.20 am and I'm about to collapse after browsing through parts catalogs for the last 5-6 hours, so apologies if I've missed something in that list.

If anyone's done it, please let me know. If not yourself but your friend or whatever, please give me their contact details so that I can eat his/her brains.

I understand I'll need to spend about $3000+, and shipping on top of that to get the parts into my country. However, I loathe the AT tranny, so that kind of makes the whole expense worth it.

Thanks!
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

I hope you have an above average mechanical know how, at least you did your research so you're heading in the right the direction. Paul (NVA-AV6)would be the guy to PM on here. He has a few of these swaps under his belt.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:25:36 PM by Rich01 » Logged

Rich
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

I tried to respond to the PM he sent on a different forum but it got bounced.........

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
mschumacher
Fucking Newb

mschumacher pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »

I hope you have an above average mechanical know how, at least you did your research so you're heading in the right the direction. Paul (NVA-AV6)would be the guy to PM on here. He has a few of these swaps under his belt.
I've been building race engines for some time now; the actual work isn't an issue. Finding what parts I need and what'll work as-is is the problem. With these cars, even if you look at the electricals wrong, the ECU will throw a check engine light. Therefore I want to make sure I'm not missing even a single plug anywhere. I don't like to see the CEL for whatever reason, however minor it may be.

I've heard of and read about Paul (The guy who posted above). He seems to have answers; him helping me will be at his discretion, considering he does this professionally and I cannot invite him to my country to work on my car. If there is a monetary value on his time/knowledge, I will gladly pay whatever we both feel is reasonable.

I tried to respond to the PM he sent on a different forum but it got bounced.........

Nazis banned me for spamming. I don't see how I could've spammed since I didn't post even once. It is the same on one more forum; I haven't received any activation email and I tried re-registering, at which point they banned my email calling me a spammer. I'm kind of pissed off with this whole issue on some of these forums. I don't think I'm even going to try registering elsewhere. There isn't a lot of info being passed around; the only bummer is on losing some good deals that I would've got if I was allowed in their classifieds, but whatever.

If you can resend the same PM here, I'll gladly listen. I'm interested in working with you towards improving the parts availability scene for the J30A4. I'm not looking to earn any money off it since there's very few people who own this car here, but just in general; and considering the fact that people are feeling left out, I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.

What does a good condition J30A4 longblock sell for? I might just buy a second engine and get some parts shipped to me for research and development.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

I'll bet you got punted off those forums because they saw your country of origin. We've had the same issue with spammers here being from multiple parts of the world. I have a pretty good feeling which forum it is you speak of and I don't agree with some of the staff there and their practices. Regardless, this isn't a bash other forums thread so we'll leave it at that.

From what you listed you would need, I'd say you're on the right path. Also, the intake manifold from the 6MT and pedal assembly are a few bits you may need. The mounts are different between the two as are the axles. You did link up with Paul so he's far more experienced with this than I am and can better answer your questions.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

Engine mounts and axels are the same, you will need tranny mounts which I have been using 07 TLS ones due to better design. Also you might want to look for a 04-06 TL tranny since it has LSD.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
mschumacher
Fucking Newb

mschumacher pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »

Engine mounts and axels are the same, you will need tranny mounts which I have been using 07 TLS ones due to better design. Also you might want to look for a 04-06 TL tranny since it has LSD.
When you say I will need tranny mounts, do you mean tranny bracket or the rubber mounts themselves?

Can you list all the transmissions that will bolt on directly? Most of the cars you talk about are not sold in our country, so I've never even seen them. If you can list out the options, I can get one of my friends in the US to check out a few junkyards.

Thanks for saving me the cost of the axles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012