Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:50:48 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird noise when braking...  (Read 11843 times)
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

So I get this weird noise when I brake. It sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side but it could be a combination of both sides. When I apply the brake I get this almost like crickets in the morning sound until the car is 15mph or less... what could this be? I recently changed the brakes in the begining of February so I know it's not that since I'm not getting any type of brake squealing. Could it be the wheel hub/bearings...?

Hopefully someone else has expierenced this issue and can provide some sort of insight exclaim

Thanks Wink

[UPDATE]

So just a late update to the weird noise.... It was the rotors! I recently had the rotors and the brake pads changed and had a full system vacuum of the brake lines and added new Honda brake fluids.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:46:08 AM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »

Exterior Styling & Maintenance?  Srsly Billy?

Sounds like from the chirping description you're having intermittent squealing, instead of constant squealing.  Do you have disc brakes in the rear, right?  Does it happen at all speeds?  This happened after you replaced your brakes.  Did you get new rotors and pads, or did you just pad slap?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

Oh my bad I was in the brake section... I've been searching everywhere for an answer. Sorry please move to correct area.

I have cross drilled/slotted rotors in front and rear. I just replaced pads. It happens at any speed higher then 15 mph and was slightly happening before I changed the pads....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:32:19 PM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »

It could be because you didn't replace the rotors and can't have them turned.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

It could be because you didn't replace the rotors and can't have them turned.

The rotors are only like 15 months old. Plus I don't drive the car on a regular basis. Weekends maybe. What do you me "turned"? I was looking into replacing the front and rear rotors anyways so I guess I will push this foward a little quicker than lolz.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

I mean getting your rotors resurfaced.  Since you have drilled and slotted, you can't resurface them.  Don't take my word for it, but that could be the problem.

Tim
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »

Thanks, when I replace the rotors I will see if this helps. I will also look into checking the wheel bearings since I will basically have everything off to replace.

redHFPcm7

Reputation Power: 0
redHFPcm7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »

My car started making this same exact noise last night. I had my girlfriend drive while I stuck my head out the window and observed. The noise seemed to be coming from the front passanger side wheel well. I checked the brake pads and they still have 40-50% left. Im assuming its the rotors, i was actually going to go pick up sone rotors and pads today. Any recommendations? I was going to go with Duralast Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads from AutoZone.
redHFPcm7

redHFPcm7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »

If I swap my rotors and pads, should I also bleed/flush the brake system?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »

Ceramic pads really aren't necessary for a street car.  Ceramic pads need to be warmed up to work effectively.  That means for a daily driver street car, your braking will suck when you start driving. 

You don't need to bleed your system if you replace your rotors and pads.  If you haven't flushed your brake fluid in a while, you probably want to go ahead and do that.  Take the cap off your master cylinder reservoir and look at the fluid.  It should be clear.  If it's dirty or cloudy, then it's time to flush your brake fluid.

Tim
redHFPcm7

redHFPcm7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »

Thanks timot_one for a quick response! Lol I havent checked the master cylinder but I'll do that as soon as I get out. As for brake pads what would you recommend? Wagner, Duralast, Hawk, etc??
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:45:04 AM by redHFPcm7 » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »

I've known guys that have had a bunch of problems with Duralast, so I'd avoid those.  Hawks are good, but they create a lot of dust.  A lot of people have good things to say about EBC Greenstuff.  I have the Yellowstuff pads and they're great, but have a good amount of dust.  Maybe Greenstuffs are better.

Tim
redHFPcm7

redHFPcm7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »

Alright EBC greenstuff pads it is! Just finished ordering them. What would you recommend for rotors? I would like drilled and slotted rotors but I heard that they end up wearing your pads faster than regular rotors. I just dont want to be switching pads left and right overtime. Sorry for being such a pain in the rear timot_one.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

Alright EBC greenstuff pads it is! Just finished ordering them. What would you recommend for rotors? I would like drilled and slotted rotors but I heard that they end up wearing your pads faster than regular rotors. I just dont want to be switching pads left and right overtime. Sorry for being such a pain in the rear timot_one.

If your looking for something off the shelf at a fair prices thats good quality check out Wagner Thermo Quiet. If your in the Boston area I can get you a good deal on them.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

We're here to help out.  I prefer non-slotted and non-drilled rotors myself.  EBC also makes OE replacement rotors.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012