Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:34:01 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pimping out the stock brakes (log thread)  (Read 7734 times)
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

Since I had to get the Acura RL calipers powdercoated, I decided to overhaul my entire braking system.  This means new (re-manufactured) rear calipers, new rear caliper brackets, and stainless steel lines front and rear. 

Seems like no matter how well I seem to prep the calipers for high-heat epoxy caliper paint, they will start to chip and flake after one Michigan winter.  So I decided to get the calipers and brackets powder coated.  Before I sent them off, I decided to get rid of the casting marks.  It may seem a little pointless, I figured I'd go a little further to pretty up the brakes. 

Rear caliper bracket as it comes from the package

After Dremeling down the high spot

Then I used a palm sander with a 40 grit disk and finished off with a sanding block and 400 grit paper

Also decided to smooth the tops

Calipers as they came out of the box

One done compared to rough

Brackets and calipers before being dropped off

RL Calipers stripped of their "ACURA" logo

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »

While at the powder-coater, we took the RL calipers apart.  This meant blowing out the pistons with compressed air and disassembling the two halves.  After the pistons were taken out the rubber seals came out very easily.  Acura wants around a $100 bucks for a rebuild kit but we were able to salvage all the rubber gaskets.  Sorry, I did not take pictures as my hands were filthy. 

I will post more pics as they come from the PC guy and more from me as I get them back. 

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:21:50 AM »

While at the powder-coater, we took the RL calipers apart.  This meant blowing out the pistons with compressed air and disassembling the two halves.  After the pistons were taken out the rubber seals came out very easily.  Acura wants around a $100 bucks for a rebuild kit but we were able to salvage all the rubber gaskets.  Sorry, I did not take pictures as my hands were filthy. 

I will post more pics as they come from the PC guy and more from me as I get them back.
nice! Its a bit if work, but its all in the details!

- Mark
HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

Stupid question but, I've been looking at the RL caliper mod. What are the wheel clearance requirements, and less involved but, more fitting to your thread what color are you going with?
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

Any wheel that will clear the TL Brembo calipers will clear the RL caliper but a 17" TL will require you to move the wheel weights inboard more to prevent them from being rubbed off by the caliper.  This is primarily the reason I went with the 18" A-spec wheel.  Concave and wheels with lips are not a good mix with a BBK. 

The color I'm going with is silver metallic. 

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:02 PM »

Nice I'm thinking Black Chrome for mine... Long way to go though need to source some wheels first.
Milan

Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »

Nothing was left bare.  Rear calipers were taken apart by a master tech and full powdercoated.

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »

Pretty.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

Those calipers look awesome. You're making me want to do the RL caliper mod, but I still need to get my Legend calipers installed first. Maybe down the road I'll be able to get larger wheels and complete this mod. I'm not going to lie, all four sets of pads on my car still have a good amount of beef left on them, but my braking performance is still absolutely terrible.

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »

Looking good

HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

Very pretty indeed.

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »

They look like shit in person!!

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012