Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:15:14 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sub mounting locations  (Read 3394 times)
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

has anyone figured out where a small sub like a 6.5" sub could potentially be mounted inside the car? im not trying to use trunk space, and if the sub is going to be 6.5" it may as well be placed inside the car to maximize the amount of thump it gives. the location that just came to me as i was exiting the car was in the door panel (i've got a coupe so it's a big panel) towards the back after the pocket. i'll snap a pic if need be but i figure that a small sub could easily be mounted there.

figure something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2068C65VT4 ... tml?tp=111

small mount depth and from the reviews it's a decent sub.

thoughts?
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »

you already have your midbass in the door, so that's probably a no go, unless you replace the 6.5's in both doors.  If your just looking for a bit better low down, consider adding an amp to a good set of aftermarket 6.5" components in your front doors, and the oem rear 6x9's in the back (you won't find much better for bass from 6x9's).  Also, get some dynamat extreme or second skin damplifier pro (highly recommeded, the best of the best) and seal your doors with it as that will make a huge difference even with stock speakers in terms of bass response.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »

I can understand where you're coming from, but I'll try to explain why it's not a good idea.  First, your door is not big enough to build a proper enclosure.  You will not be able to build an enclosure to the correct specs for that sub and it will basically be an overpriced midbass speaker that will perform the same as your other 6.5 in the door.  Second, the amount of fabrication and custom finishing required is not worth the expense when you can get better sound quality out of a well built sub enclosure in your trunk.  You have plenty of other options that aren't as obtrusive as a traditional box.  You just see a box as the most common design because most people take the easy way out.  IMHO, you would be better off with 2 8"s or a 10" slim mount sub in a small sealed enclosure that is properly tuned.

For the record, a round 6.5" speaker is actually better than a 6"x9" for two reasons.  Oval shaped speakers are only as good as their narrowest measurement and oval speakers have less cone control, resulting in more lateral movement, resulting in distortion.  On top of all that, rear speakers aren't as important as front speakers.  6"x9" are not a replacement for subwoofers.

I wouldn't really worry about custom fabricating your doors because it's a waste of time and money.  If you want better sound quality, get good speakers in the front, seal your speakers in their mounting locations to reduce backwave interference, and dynamat your interior to reduce exterior noise.

You may want to stop going in all kinds of different directions and wasting your money.  Every time you get an idea about something, you pull the trigger without thinking about what you're doing.  You should stop and try and figure out what you want first.  Then plan out your system properly instead of just buying random shit and piecing together mismatched components.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »

well im just asking, not about to go out and do it lol. it was just a thought, and i was trying to get some decent answers from it. but yeah in time i'll put components into the doors to replace the coaxials(didn't really understand that whole bit till i got the speakers...i know do more research). but im just trying to get some sample ideas about stuff of this sort before i go out and do anything.

i've just got a lot of questions about things and i really try and make sure it's the right way of doing something. the reason why im trying to find another solution to the trunk enclosure is i think im going to find it a little difficult to try and make one with the appropriate dimensions so that way the sub wont make the box explode, while also making it sound nice, deep, and responsive. for the sub box i'd go the fiberglass custom enclosure to gain an OEM-ish look, while keeping the main part of the trunk space open for use. sorry for all of these questions if im starting to piss anyone off lol
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »

Nah man, it's cool.  I just mentioned it because I already know that you haven't really planned out your system.  I'm glad to help answer any questions if you want.  Just hit me up on AIM some time.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »

ill do that. thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012