Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:37:51 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Fix intermittent Upper Display on 7th gen with Navi Due to Vibration  (Read 15714 times)
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »

Refer to the Crutchfield Radio Removal Thread for additional info. I did this fix 1+ yrs ago so forgive me if I forget something

Tools Required:
Flat and Phillips head screw drivers
Soldering Iron with a a small tip
Eye loop or magnifying glass
Solder
Pair of wire Snippers or some sort of tool for cutting plastic
small vice or articulated arm

1) Remove the upper dash center area to gain access to the upper display

2) Remove Display Assembly by removing the 2 phillips heads screws and wire connector

3) Remove the tinted lens from the front of the display and the white back cover by using a flat head screw driver to pop the 4 clip on areas on both. Your assembly should now look like this:

DO NOT TRY TO SEPARATE THE CIRCUIT BOARD OR DISPLAY BOARD FROM THE HOUSING!!! THEY ARE SOLDERED TOGETHER WITH THE HOUSING IN THE MIDDLE (DUMB DESIGN). THIS IS THE RESULT

4) Use an eye loop to inspected each solder joint connecting the circuit board to the display (I believe there were about 25) for cracks or faulty soldering. You can use google images for examples of faulty or bad solder joints. If a faulty solder connection is found, use the solder iron to "re-flow" the solder and add solder if needed. (USE THE EYE LOOP TO INSPECT YOUR WORK AFTER. A SOLDER CONNECTION FLOWING ACROSS PINS IS WORST THAN A FAULTY CONNECTION!!!)

5) The next set of solder joints to inspect requires cutting a section of the housing to get to them. Cut only what is needed to allow access of the soldering iron:
Repeat step 4 above.

6) Cleanup any dust and debris from the cutting and soldering and replace the tinted lens to the front and the white back cover.

7) Put it back together.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:27:29 PM by Rich01 » Logged

Rich
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »

I will have to try this snice mines is out and a new one is over price , nice work

Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »

How much and where did you get it quoted? I'm trying to replace the messed up LED display.

Rich
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »

I did my own research and the part # is 39710-SDA-A41 the lowest i could find it online was $146.57 , I read a few other people doing the same thing but i am trying to avoid the cutting part

Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »

Oh yeah, Im not sure why I didnt think of that when Honda told me that they would have to ship it out for repair. Thanks for thd part # Clemente. Ive survived over a year without being able to see that section so Ill hold off on replacing that.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012