Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:06:25 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver seat loose  (Read 5049 times)
quickkick127

Reputation Power: 0
quickkick127 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »

Hey guys, just looking for anyone who has messed with the driver seat at all.  I have a shift in the seat I can feel when I brake hard, accelerate hard or take high speed bends.  I just can't find much to tighten down.  I already tried the four main bolts that hold the rails down and that wasn't it (though I did get a half turn on all of them).  I found one 10mm nut under the seat on the left rail that I was able to snug up and two cross point screws towards the back of the seat near the hinge.  Either way, the seat still has play and I can't see any other option of bolts to tighten up.  Any input?  Taking it easier on starts, stops and bends is not an option....

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »

I recall hearing about this a long time ago.  It may be a TSB that you can have Honda fix for free.  You should try calling Honda of America and see what they say.  I'll ask one of my friends that works for Honda if he knows.  What year is your coupe?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »

Its an 04. They're the heated leather seats if that makes any difference.

EDIT:  I searched automd.com for tsb's dealing with seats and didn't see anything similar.  How do these work? Are these all just common issues with our cars? More importantly, based on what you said, does Honda fix all of those things?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:55:31 PM by quickkick127 » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »

I have manual seats, so I don't know about the electric ones.  A Honda dealership would probably be the best place to at least get it diagnosed.  Maybe it would be less expensive to get the parts and fix it yourself.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »

When you say that it sounds like you think something is probably worn and causing the slop rather than something just being loose.  I'd definately rather do the work myself.  Besides, I'm a little afraid of what it will cost to just diagnose the problem, let alone repair it.  It isn't real bad, just something I was going to fix if it was as simple as tightning some bolts.  I've never had seats out of a car so I don't really know what could get worn or work loose.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »

Honestly, I don't know what it could be either.  It's probably something you should be able to repair yourself.  I just don't have any experience with that kinda stuff, so I don't have any sort of simple fix that I could suggest.

Tim
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »

I could have sworn that I remember someone on DA.net or v6p.net saying that there are four washers underneath some bolts on the seat that were really worn out. He loosened the bolt, then turned the washers 90 degrees, then tightened the bolt again. That apparently got rid of the looseness. Unfortunately there were no pictures or anything, but maybe that will give you an idea.

NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »

It is a common issue that "should" be fixed by Honda with a little bitching...........

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

I knew I wasn't completely stupid.  I remember people talking about this problem a long time ago.  Do what Paul says.  Go to a dealership that's cool and hopefully they'll fix it for you with little aggravation.

Tim
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »

As for the washers, I don't really remember noticing any loose washers on any of the bolts I could find.  But at least I'll go over to v6p.net and see if I can find any more information on there.  Thanks.

As for the dealership, I do have a buddy who works at a local honda dealer, maybe I'll see if he can talk one of the service guys into doing it.  Hopefully this route works cause I'm not very good at bitching to get what I want, though I could always get my ex to do it...she's an expert.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

The washer thing is going to be a waste of time.  I'd just go to Honda and talk to them about it first.  You never know.  They may just fix it, or it may give you some push back on having to pay for it.  Just stand your ground and tell them you're not going to pay shit because you know it's a common problem.

Tim
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

well I just read through the posts over at v6p.net and a lot of people were getting this problem fixed by the dealership for free.  It is supposedly the rails aren't very tight in their tolerances.  But the problem is, all those post were from 2004.  There were people having this issue the first three weeks of owning the vehicle and it was all still under warranty.  No one really said anything about getting it fixed for free while being out of their warranty. Some people said they were quoted at 500 bucks to do the driver seat.  Someone else said they have to take their seat out and tighten every bolt once every 6-8months to stop the problem.  Depending on what my buddy at the dealership says, I may just try taking the seat out myself and loctite all the threads.  Even if I bought the rail myself, someone said they cost something like $370...

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

Well, the best thing you can do is go to the dealership, and lean on whoever you need to for this to get fixed.  I wouldn't take the word of someone that's giving you second hand information.  Get the facts yourself instead of relying on forum hearsay.  For the record, the list price for the seat rail mechanism is $629.70, and Majestic Honda has it listed for $440.79.  That's enough to motivate me to go to a Honda dealership and start chewing someone out to repair something that could possibly cause an accident.

Tim
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »

Well, the best thing you can do is go to the dealership, and lean on whoever you need to for this to get fixed.  I wouldn't take the word of someone that's giving you second hand information.  Get the facts yourself instead of relying on forum hearsay.  For the record, the list price for the seat rail mechanism is $629.70, and Majestic Honda has it listed for $440.79.  That's enough to motivate me to go to a Honda dealership and start chewing someone out to repair something that could possibly cause an accident.
Listen to this guy. It really isn't worth trying the forum hearsay, like Tim said. I was just stating something that could apply to you, but at this point, it is Honda's fault, not yours. Let them deal with the bullshit instead.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012