Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:53:10 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose Brake Calipers  (Read 2302 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »

I have been having this problem with my new car virtually ever since I got it. I would noticed that when I put the car in reverse, back out a little, then hit on the brakes, I would hear this popping noise, and I could feel it in the pedal as well.

Well, I finally figured out what it was. I had my sister get in the car, put it in reverse, and back out slowly while pumping the brakes, while I was looking at the passenger side brake caliper. I noticed that the whole brake caliper (mount and all) was rotating counterclockwise (upwards) about an 1/8" when she applied the brakes in reverse.

Awhile ago I tried putting my Legend brakes on, but then I ran into a problem and had to put it back to stock. I definitely don't remember seeing that much slack in the mounting brackets when I put the brakes back on. I made sure that every bolt was tight, too.

I haven't had much time lately to sit down and diagnose what's actually causing this, but I just thought I'd point it out to you guys, because I have never seen something like this happen before. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

Sounds like the bolts holding the caliper bracket to the knuckle are loose.  I'd take your wheel off and make sure they're torqued properly.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »

Sounds like the bolts holding the caliper bracket to the knuckle are loose.  I'd take your wheel off and make sure they're torqued properly.
You were right, Tim! I took the wheel off, and the top mounting bolt was loose by barely a couple of turns. I was surprised at how much play there was with just that much slack. I wasn't able to torque them specifically to 80ft-lbs because all my tools are at the apartment, but I was able to tighten them as much as I could.

I guess common sense should have told me to check the bolts first, then make this thread later if it's still a problem. Oh well, lesson learned. 

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

Go figure.  I was somewhat correct.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012