Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:21:35 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Install Moleskin Felt  (Read 4310 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:19 PM »

I know this isn't a very difficult job to do, but it took me a little searching on other forums to find a couple tricks to make the moleskin more worthwhile. So I thought that I'd post a complete how-to for people that would like to do this themselves instead of paying a tinting place to do it. If you go to a shop, they're going to charge you $20 a door... well, you can buy a 10ft roll for 6 bucks here, and do it all yourself. It's definitely an easy job.

First off, I want to give credit to Ken (thisaznboi88) for his tip here, and to a Shades of Gray for his tip here.

Now, on to the how-to. Here are the tools needed:

• The felt, obviously
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Some paper towels
  • Razor blade
  • Sand paper; I used 320 grit
  • Multi-tool, or a small knife
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Scissors

Follow the guide here on how to remove the door panel. Once you lift the door panel up, you can simply grab the weather channel and lift it out. You can see it laying on top in the picture below. It's easier when one person lifts the door panel up and someone else quickly grabs the weather channel.

The weather channel:

This is what it looks like at the end:

Yeeeeep, all that shit in there is definitely what's causing my windows to get scratched:

We need to cut off this strip. If you put the weather channel back in the door, you'll see that this strip is a secondary piece below, which can be safely removed without any problems. This strip is also a cause of the scratches, because dirt builds up on it, and when you roll the window up and down, the strip will flip over, potentially scraping anything across the window. ***If you really want to keep the secondary strip, you could buy a second roll of moleskin and apply it onto there as well.

Just cut straight down. Don't worry about making the cut perfect, you'll never see it once you put it back in.

The dismembered strip:

What it looks like now without the extra strip:

Now you just unroll the felt and cut it to the length of the channel.

Then, take the sandpaper and sand the rubber up a bit. It will start to look like the picture below. Make sure to sand both sides of the weather strip.

When you're done, dab the paper towel in some rubbing alcohol, and clean off the weather channel. Make sure that there is no shit left whatsoever. Let the alcohol dry for a little bit.

Now you want to stick the felt on. I found it easiest to just peel off the whole backing, then slowly stick it onto the strip. The picture below shows you how you want to put it on.

Then, you want to fold it over. As you have already noticed, there are actually two strips. You want to fold the felt over both strips, making sure that the strips are together nicely, so that everything is tight. Put some pressure on the felt so the adhesive can apply. You are folding the felt over both strips so that the dirt is unable to get in between and cause any scratches.

All that's left is putting the weather channel back in, and re-installing the door panel. When you put the door panel back in the channel, I found it best to close the door (with the window fully open obviously) and put pressure on the door panel from the top. It fits a lot more snugly because of the felt now, so you have to make sure the door panel is seated in completely.

All done!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:46:04 AM by Jeff » Logged

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »

nicely done Jeff. I was too lazy to do a DIY for mine. I also did it a little differently since I didn't bother to cut the piece that you did. It made my windows really snuggle against the car panels.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
kewpa11
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
kewpa11 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »

Good write up, think I might do it
ubermike
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
ubermike pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

Looking to do this on mine before I get tint put on. I'm going to try and find some of this felt locally in a craft store.

Thanks for the DIY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012